Newly Elite...how does free laundry work?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:26 AM.
289 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by Tickled2Trvl
Even more fun is finding the little self adhesive tags they put on everything, I just found another one on DH shirt....we last sailed in January 2012! And he wears this shirt all the time!

I have never sent any laundry out but I'm curious as to how they would keep my laundry separate from other laundry. I've seen the huge washers and dryers and I can't imagine just one cabin's laundry going into the washers & dryers without other laundry from multiple cabins.
Cairns, QLD Australia
10,642 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by MICHIGAN MAMA
I have never sent any laundry out but I'm curious as to how they would keep my laundry separate from other laundry. I've seen the huge washers and dryers and I can't imagine just one cabin's laundry going into the washers & dryers without other laundry from multiple cabins.
Apparently they put them in bags and throw them all in together!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eileen

[email protected]
Emerald Princess - Andes & South America - March 2018
Emerald Princess - Cape Horn & Strait of Magellan - February 2018
Queen Elizabeth - Sydney to Kobe Japan - February 2017

Aurora P & O UK - Germany/Norway/Holland - Xmas Markets cruise - December 2016
Aurora P & O UK - Canary Is, Spain/Portugal/Morocco - November 2016

Golden Princess - New Zealand - February 2016
Diamond Princess - Tokyo to Sydney - September 2015
Diamond Princess - Singapore to Tokyo - April 2015
Diamond Princess - Sydney to Singapore - March 2015
Ruby Princess - TA to NY - Norway/Iceland - Sept 2014
Ruby Princess - British Isles - August 2014
Sea Princess - Aust Coastal - May 2014
Diamond Princess - Tasmania - December 2013
Diamond Princess - Aust to China - March 2013
Diamond Princess - New Zealand - Feb 2013
Ruby Princess - Mediterranean - May 2012
Ruby Princess - FLL to Barcelona - April 2012
Ruby Princess - Caribbean - April 2012
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - March 2012
Dawn Princess - Sydney/Melb - Dec 2011
Pacific Dawn - New Zealand - October 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - July 2011
Diamond Princess - Alaska - May 2011
Diamond Princess - China to Alaska Repo. - May 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - April 2011
Dawn Princess - Melb/Sydney - March 2011
Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise - Nov 2010
Oriana P & O UK - Sydney/Brisbane - Nov 2010
Pacific Sun - Newcastle/Brisbane - Sept 2010
Sun Princess - Sydney/Brisbane - April 2010
Coral Princess -FLL to LA via Panama Canal -Feb 2010
Pacific Dawn - Sydney/Brisbane - Dec 2009
Sun Princess - Vanuatu/New Caledonia - Feb 2009
Aliso Viejo, CA
41,863 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
They use a chemical process similar to dry cleaning, not hot water as some people think. A tag is applied to each piece. Not sure but I think they put each person's laundry in a bag and it goes through the washing process that way. They are probably dried the same way. Items needing ironing are put through a big ironing machine. If they need individual pressing, that's done separately. If you want something done separately, you should note it on your slip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Island Princess -- 19-day Partial Panama Canal 11/16/16
Ruby Princess -- 6-day Wine Country Coastal 4/29/17
Emerald Princess -- 12-day round-trip LA <> Alaska 4/27/18
4,275 Posts
Joined Nov 2000
Can you ask for things to be wash
in cold water.
Also can you ask for some things not
to be put in the dryer. Just hung on a
hanger to dry.

Thank you.
Aliso Viejo, CA
41,863 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by Belle
Can you ask for things to be wash in cold water. Also can you ask for some things not
to be put in the dryer. Just hung on a
hanger to dry.
They're not put in water, cold or hot. It's a wet chemical process. They won't hang dry as the laundry room doesn't have that capability. Your best bet is to use the self-serve washers and hang dry in your cabin. Put towels on the floor in case they drip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969

Upcoming:
Greenville, SC, USA
52,226 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
They put an adhesive laundry tag on each piece so they can identify each persons laundry.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
midlands
147 Posts
Joined May 2013
we always write elite on the form and the laundry bag .
never had any probs with getting stuff back or damaged
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
captain cirlce elite
33 cruises

Calgary, Canada
598 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
It doesn't really matter if you write Elite or not on the laundry sheets. If there is a charge on laundry, the same amount credit will be put back on the account automatically.

They are using huge industrial grade washers with powerful agitator and very high speed spinner. I have seen the pictures of the laundry department. All clothing will be labeled and washed together. It requires a lot of muscle to pull the laundry items out. You should not send delicate garments.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sam & Louisa, Princess elite members, Celebrity elite members, HA *** Mariners, RCL Diamond
Email to Sam
10,854 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Here are photos of the form and the tags. This pair of shorts never made it back to me, and that's when I started writing the total number of items in the Special Instructions area and circling it.

http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot....-st-kitts.html

What I don't know is, when I send in running shorts (as I did on this form), they get laundered or cleaned. They don't need to be pressed; I'm not certain how the ship's laundry cleans them. And maybe that's why they got lost.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1203 days ~ 121 cruises ~ 29 ships ~ 20 years ~ 6 continents ~ 5 cruise lines
1 happy cruiser!!
My travel diary from Winters spent at sea:
Australia
11,525 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
My query is how often can you /do you put out your filled laundry bags? If one packs 'light', then I assume this would be more frequent. After enjoying this great service on our last 24 day cruise, I was surprised to see how much the ship's laundering would have cost us if we were not Elite.
I also assume that the more Elites on a cruise using the service, the longer the turnaround - correct?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anna

Completed Cruises:
2017 Golden Princess: Hawaii and South Pacific
2016 Emerald Princess: Tasmania
2016 Emerald Princess: New Zealand
2016 Sun Princess: Fiji
2016 Sun Princess: Queensland Coastal
2015 Pacific Princess: Alaskan Cruisetour
2015 Pacific Princess: Pacific Coastal
2015 Pacific Princess: Panama Transit

2014 Emerald Princess:Mediterranean Medley
2014 Emerald Princess: Baltic Heritage

2013 Diamond Princess: Sydney - Beijing
2012 Diamond Princess: Bangkok - Sydney
2012 Dawn Princess: Hawaii & Tahiti
2011 Star Princess: South America
2011 Star Princess: S.America-E.Caribbean
2010 Sun Princess: SE Asia
2009 Dawn Princess: Papua New Guinea
2008 Tahitian Princess: Tahiti
2008 Sun Princess: New Zealand
2006 Pacific Star: Vanuatu

20 cruises - 308 days at sea

Upcoming Cruises:

Regal Princess - Canada and New England (Historic America 1A) - October 2018
Royal Princess- Canada and Colonial America (Maple Explorer 2B)- October 2018

EMAIL
cootamundra nsw
6,757 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by Kinkacruiser
My query is how often can you /do you put out your filled laundry bags? If one packs 'light', then I assume this would be more frequent. After enjoying this great service on our last 24 day cruise, I was surprised to see how much the ship's laundering would have cost us if we were not Elite.
I also assume that the more Elites on a cruise using the service, the longer the turnaround - correct?
Anna, we normally send our washing out after 4-5 days but i have heard of people sending it out every 2 days

the normal turn around is 2 days but we have had 3 days when a lot of elites are onboard
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Greenville, SC, USA
52,226 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by Kinkacruiser
You can send laundry out as often as you wish. We send things about once per week on the longer cruises.

When we were on the Grand Princess this winter there were over 1000 Elites, plus the passengers in suites, we did not notice any delays.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
Aliso Viejo, CA
41,863 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
For me, it all depends. I took a pre-cruise 3-day tour in Beijing last month before boarding the Diamond. I put out a full bag embarkation day, skipped three days, then sent out every other day. As it got closer to disembarkation, I sent out a couple of days in a row so that most of my clothing was clean before packing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Boston. Strong.

Upcoming:
Australia
11,525 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Thanks for all your replies. I'm sure all first-timers would appreciate this as well.
Thanks to posts on the Princess board, I've already learned all the tips about Elite benefits - the free internet, preferred tendering , swapping the mini-bar assortment, etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anna

Completed Cruises:
2017 Golden Princess: Hawaii and South Pacific
2016 Emerald Princess: Tasmania
2016 Emerald Princess: New Zealand
2016 Sun Princess: Fiji
2016 Sun Princess: Queensland Coastal
2015 Pacific Princess: Alaskan Cruisetour
2015 Pacific Princess: Pacific Coastal
2015 Pacific Princess: Panama Transit

2014 Emerald Princess:Mediterranean Medley
2014 Emerald Princess: Baltic Heritage

2013 Diamond Princess: Sydney - Beijing
2012 Diamond Princess: Bangkok - Sydney
2012 Dawn Princess: Hawaii & Tahiti
2011 Star Princess: South America
2011 Star Princess: S.America-E.Caribbean
2010 Sun Princess: SE Asia
2009 Dawn Princess: Papua New Guinea
2008 Tahitian Princess: Tahiti
2008 Sun Princess: New Zealand
2006 Pacific Star: Vanuatu

20 cruises - 308 days at sea

Upcoming Cruises:

Regal Princess - Canada and New England (Historic America 1A) - October 2018
Royal Princess- Canada and Colonial America (Maple Explorer 2B)- October 2018

EMAIL
Milton, Georgia
1,117 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
On our last 10 day New England Cruise on the Crown Princess we sent laundry out 2 times. Out first day by 9AM, back the second day by 5PM, most often before 2PM. No delays. Yes same day does get charged for. We are doing a 12 Day Eastern Med cruise later this year and I see 3 times for laundry. We will not take more than 5 changes of clothes. Lugging a ton of clothes around is a boring thing to do. This is why you build status with the Cruise Line you love or get Penthouse Suites. You have paid for it one way or the other, so use it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Recent Past Cruises
Golden Princess 2008
Crown Princess 2011
Fascination 2013
Ruby Princess 2013
Crystal Symphony 2016
Crown Princess 2017

Steviewonder1 LLAP!
Sent from my Rotary Dial Cell-Phone using Rusty Barbed wire and an old Car Battery!
Chance and Fortune favor the Prepared Mind. Louis Pasteur

Halifax, NS
183 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
The suggestion to take a picture of the filled out laundry slip is a good idea.
We did that on the Caribbean Princess in April.

When the laundry came back a blouse was missing.
We noticed right away when the cabin steward brought the clothes back.

He went to check and a few minutes later came back and asked for our copy of the laundry slip. He left and came back about 20 minutes later and asked us if we were sure we sent the blouse out.

Actually asked us twice more if we were sure we sent it out.
I guess I should have recorded a video of packing the bag to PROVE we sent it out.

They never did find the blouse.
They gave us form to fill out to be reimbursed.
They wanted our copy of the laundry slip, the same slip that our cabin steward asked us for but never gave back. He said the laundry team needed it to find the blouse.

We had to send in the reimbursement form using the picture of the slip I had taken .

It has been just over 3 months. Haven't even gotten an acknowledgement that Princess has received our claim yet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New Hampshire
2,348 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
I found one just this morning.

I found four...on the same shirt!

We trade our bottles of XX beer (not fond of it) for Perrier. You can mix & match for things you like & dislike in the minibar.
We don't use ice but have to keep reminding the stewards to stop filling the bucket.
Steve & Pete
24,980 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by skeetns
The suggestion to take a picture of the filled out laundry slip is a good idea.
We did that on the Caribbean Princess in April.

When the laundry came back a blouse was missing.
We noticed right away when the cabin steward brought the clothes back.

He went to check and a few minutes later came back and asked for our copy of the laundry slip. He left and came back about 20 minutes later and asked us if we were sure we sent the blouse out.

Actually asked us twice more if we were sure we sent it out.
I guess I should have recorded a video of packing the bag to PROVE we sent it out.

They never did find the blouse.
They gave us form to fill out to be reimbursed.
They wanted our copy of the laundry slip, the same slip that our cabin steward asked us for but never gave back. He said the laundry team needed it to find the blouse.

We had to send in the reimbursement form using the picture of the slip I had taken .

It has been just over 3 months. Haven't even gotten an acknowledgement that Princess has received our claim yet.
I lost a sweater a few years ago and filed a claim once I got home. They eventually sent a check months later. When I received the check, it appeared to come from an employment agency, not Princess. If I hadn't remembered the amount I claimed, I would have wondered what the heck the check was for. Just thought I would mention that.

I didn't need a copy of the laundry form filled out when I had this situation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me