Easter Island ships excursion

sarahuk

I think it was $325 per person. The benefit of the ship excursion is no tender, no excursion, no payment. We paid for a private tour last year and the ship couldn't tender so we were out 20%. cancellation fee notwithstanding nature did not cooperate

If you are doing a private tour, make sure that payment is after the tour. I have been following Easter Island threads of several cruise lines and it appears that the tender operation is not always possible.

Do you know any tour operator on Easter Island who will accept a payment after the tour? I found most of them want a full prepayment.

Also anyone - can you please share the private company you used for tours on Easter Island and how was your experience.

Thank you ~

We were booked with Easter Island Sprit for two days and we were told up front the deposit was non refundable. Tour companies have to hire and pay the bus and driver in advance. It was worth the risk because the itinerary was much more comprehensive than what the ship tour offered. And much less expensive.

The big risk for EI is not the cost but it is whether you will even get ashore.

It turned out we were 0 for 2 days. Day 1 was gorgeous, some wave action that seemed typical for the Pacific Ocean. However the captain deemed the waves were too high. We hovered very close to shore and then circled the island. A pontoon boat brought supplies and exchanged entertainers. At 2pm on day one the captain announced we were leaving because a storm was coming. Stunned silence prevailed. We've had many travel disappointments but this one was pretty big.

Hi , does anyone know the approximate cost of doing the ships tour at Easter Island?

Thanks

Sarah

We chose Easter Island Travel (see Trip Advisor and other CC posts about Marcus and his outfit). First class operation and, although you pay upfront, weather/tender issues result in quick refund minus the sole cost of the tour driver's wait time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 5 months later...
We chose Easter Island Travel (see Trip Advisor and other CC posts about Marcus and his outfit). First class operation and, although you pay upfront, weather/tender issues result in quick refund minus the sole cost of the tour driver's wait time.

This policy has apparently changed. From their website

What happens if weather prevents us from landing by tender?

In case of bad weather, we will be on stand-by to see if weather changes. The alternative cruise ship port at a different side of the island (beach Anakena) will also be considered. In the unlikely case of tenders being unable to enter Easter Island at all (happens around 1 out of 20 ships), we will refund a generous 50% of your shore excursion payment. The rest will cover part of guide salaries, vehicle rentals etc, which we still have to pay.

This policy has apparently changed. From their website

What happens if weather prevents us from landing by tender?

In case of bad weather, we will be on stand-by to see if weather changes. The alternative cruise ship port at a different side of the island (beach Anakena) will also be considered. In the unlikely case of tenders being unable to enter Easter Island at all (happens around 1 out of 20 ships), we will refund a generous 50% of your shore excursion payment. The rest will cover part of guide salaries, vehicle rentals etc, which we still have to pay.

Still generous IMO.

We haven't been on many cruises but I've never had a vendor charge when the ship was unable to visit the port.

It's Easter Island. YOU are their industry and there are just so many of YOU. Not like that Walmart called the Caribbean with many many ships arriving and the ability for vendors to "eat" a lost tour now and then.

It's Easter Island. YOU are their industry and there are just so many of YOU. Not like that Walmart called the Caribbean with many many ships arriving and the ability for vendors to "eat" a lost tour now and then.

No need to YELL. I know what port we're discussing. I was just stating my limited experience not only in the Caribbean but also the Mediterranean and the Baltic.

No need to YELL. I know what port we're discussing. I was just stating my limited experience not only in the Caribbean but also the Mediterranean and the Baltic.

The YOU is not yelling. Rather, it's meant to point out that the livelihood of most folks on that island truly depends on the relatively few ships that drop anchor there. And the touring provided focuses on the archeological uniqueness rather than zip lines and rum cakes.

There's pretty much zero comparison to the places you mention. Easter Island is a Chilean step child in what is basically the middle of nowhere. Nonetheless, I'd go again and again just to see my friend in the pic. (Even though cancelled tendering may be a bit more prevalent than is portrayed, I can live with missing one of the usual two days there on Oceania cruises).

6f7f2aaa62c39a925676a34d86e08f3b.jpg

The real answer to this Easter Island dilemma is to fly there from Santiago for 3 or 4 days and not risk the possibility of not being able to tender from a cruise ship (and losing 50% of your deposit and seeing nothing)

It can be easily added before or after a cruise starting or ending in Santiago, which are plentiful. There are things and experiences you can enjoy during a 3 day visit with overnights there that you cannot on a cruise.

That is what we did and then later visited there on a cruise (had good luck with the ship as well).

paulchili,

we aim to do exactly that...fly from Santiago pre/post cruise. Did you sign with a tour company and do you have hotel rec'd?

btw....this is in the future....waaay in the future. 2018 & '19 are booked already!!! Just waiting for '20 to be posted.

let's be generous to me this morning and just say 'she's not a procrastinator'....rather than 'she's crazy'

I think the percentage of ships that can't tender in is much higher than 1 in 20. When we were on O we were told by the staff that it is actually about 80% that don't make it in. As for the refund on the deposit since most decision aren't made until the day of the actual tour I would double check about the refundable deposit. We thought we had a refundable deposit and it said so on the tour company's website but when you researched it further it said you had to cancel 24 hours ahead of time. WE lost our deposit but luckily the travel insurance I had covered the cost of nonrefundable deposits on tours that are cancelled. But you do need a letter from O stating that the port was missed because of the weather conditions to file with the insurance company claim,

paulchili,

we aim to do exactly that...fly from Santiago pre/post cruise. Did you sign with a tour company and do you have hotel rec'd?

btw....this is in the future....waaay in the future. 2018 & '19 are booked already!!! Just waiting for '20 to be posted.

let's be generous to me this morning and just say 'she's not a procrastinator'....rather than 'she's crazy'

cbb,

It was back in 2006 and I can't find the name of the tour company but it was a package deal out of Santiago - 4 days/3 nights IIRC. Google will help you - there should some companies doing those tours. The package is tailored to flights to E.I. as they are not daily flights.

..and I don't think that you are crazy - just a compulsive planner (I am guilty as well :D)