Airplane Attire - Aargh

breadbabe

I am travelling from the wet, chilly coast of Canada, B.C. to be exact, to sunny Hawaii. Any ideas of what to wear on the plane that is not going to make me look like a total tourist when I get off? No to black sweats or sneakers. Thank you in advance.

I'm always cold on planes. I'd wear khakis with silk long undies, which I'd take off before landing. I'd wear shoes & sox, but have sandals in my carry-on. I'd wear a short sleeved shirt under a fleece or sweater. I'd wear a coat, but put in the outside pocket of my suitcase after landing.

I am in the same position! We are leaving in a few weeks, same destination. I'm thinking no coat - once we're inside the airport it will not be needed at all. I was thinking jeans but then started second-guessing myself. I don't know... you won't look out of place wearing capris or cropped pants on the flight; everyone knows where you are going and it makes perfect sense. In every airport, we've seen all kinds of dress - if someone was wearing shorts, you knew they were waiting to get on a plane to somewhere nice and warm. :)

If I wore jeans on the plane, then I would have jeans, and I certainly don't plan on wearing them in Hawaii. It's been 25 C, "feels like 30" this week! I just know. Coming back too - we could come home to a snowstorm. :cool:

If you think you might be chilly on the plane, wear either jeans or dockers-type pants. Have shorts or capris in a carry-on, and change once you get there, or in the plane restroom shortly before landing.

For the top, go with a short-sleeve shirt, with a fleece layer you can stash. (Makes a good pillow.)

I'm flying out Feb 4 to Ft. Lauderdale. Yes we have "SNOW". I will wear my khaki capris, long sleeve t-shirt. I put a ss t-shirt in my carry on. I wear a travel jacket that is light and has many pockets which helps with carry-on items, and I wear my Keen sandals. Yes I also wear a pair of sockettes with my sandals. Yes sox and sandals, much better than picking up some foot disease when they make you take you shoes off at security. Once through security the sox go into a zip lock baggie in my carry-on.

If you are always cold on airplanes, as I tend to be, check out Magellans. I bought a travel blanket and it is great, even has 2 pockets for your feet.

Depending on where you are going in Hawaii you may need warm clothing. On the Big Island it is cool -cold around the volcano. I was very happy to have jeans and wished I had something warmer then the long-sleeve top and sweater I had.

I used to live in Hawaii. Trust me, you can always spot a tourist, lol. Besides if you go in the winter, a lot of the locals will have on pants anyway. I remember one day I was in Waikiki wearing jeans, sneakers and a jacket while all of the visitors were running around in swimsuits and tank tops.

I would wear pants with a short sleeve shirt under a sweater or sweatshirt on the plane. You can always change once you get to your hotel.

I would go with a cargo pant that can convert into a capri or shorts. Length for cold, then comfy once landing. I also carry my sandals in my carry-on, wear a hoody sweater for the plane, then simple wrap it around my waist on landing.

I have the same problem every year departing from New York going from cold to warm and nice weather...(we usually cruise from San Juan or Florida)

My favorite travel look is skinny jeans with black riding boots in a soft leather, and a few easy layers on top usually a flowy tank or racerback tee with a cropped jacket and trendy scarf . I am always cold in flight.

Once I arrive at my destination, off come the boots which I fold onto my carry on along with my jacket and on come my ballerina flats or open toe pumps depending on my mood.

I was glad to have those boots last year when upon return we were met with snow in New York. My toesies were nice and warm and the jacket was a godsend.

I wear a cute pair of capri spandex pants with flats and then a long short sleeve T type shirt with a long sweater over the top. I am pleanty warm, comfortable and ready to take the sweater off and have a fitting outfit for the weather. We take a car to the airport and get picked up also so never really out in the cold. I never bring a coat.

I am travelling from the wet, chilly coast of Canada, B.C. to be exact, to sunny Hawaii. Any ideas of what to wear on the plane that is not going to make me look like a total tourist when I get off? No to black sweats or sneakers. Thank you in advance.

I lived a similar situation on 1/9/11 left Raleigh where it was 16 degrees and arrived in San Juan where it was 90 degrees.

I wore a camisole under my black cardigan (which was a staple on the cruise with the cold lounges). Over that I had a black hoodie. I left my heavy coat in the vehicle when the shuttle picked us up. I put my flip flops in my carry on.

In Charlotte I took off the cardigan. In San Juan I took off the hoodie - and didn't use it until we got home. I quickly put on my flip flops. The shoes I wore were clog style Clark's and I lost them at some point. They were older so no big loss. Just meant I had to wear my flip flops all teh way back home! ;-)

I usually will wear my coat to the airport, and leave it in the trunk of the car. I also usually wear a short sleeve t-shirt with a yoga jacket, jeans, and either tennies or sandals. If you are going in the day before, then you can change into shorts at the hotel, if you are going straight to the ship, make sure you have a swimsuit so you can change and go straight to the lido deck. :D

You would be surprised how often people who live in Hawaii wear jeans. I lived in them in the "winter" there. And sneakers or tennis shoes are alright as long as you aren't wearing them on the beach. :) (or heels for that matter, you would be surprised at the number of tourists who show up to the beach in HEELS!)... I personally when traveling to and from HI would wear jeans, slippers (flip flops to you mainlanders), a tank top, t shirt and sweatshirt... I don't know about your airport but HNL is FREEZING!

Haha. Don't worry about your clothes not making you fit in or making you stand out in Hawaii, it's all about attitude, if you drive with Aloha and don't treat the locals like they are below you, you should have no problem. (always say Mahalo after a service!)

Amy

I have to wear comfie clothes on a flight, no matter the length. I don't do jeans because I don't want to sit with a stiff waistband for 5+ hours. I have a lightweight microfiber pair of pants with an elastic waistband, they feel lik pj's yet don't look like sweat pants. If it's cold I merely wear knee socks under them. I have a matching jacket and would layer a tank and a long sleeved T under it. I have to wear shoes that I can kick off, for security pass through plus during the flight. Throw a pair of flip flops into your carry on, take off the socks and shoes, remove the jacket and long sleeved T and you would be fine.

I have found that light layers work best for all types of travel. Leave the bulky stuff at home.

OP here. Please give me some brand names. I love coldwater creek and territory ahead. I am an avid on-line shopper. Has anyone from Canada bought any shoes from Zappos? The only drawback for us Canucks is the cursed shipping and duties...and taxes!

Has anyone from Canada bought any shoes from Zappos? The only drawback for us Canucks is the cursed shipping and duties...and taxes!

Yes, but I live close enough to the border that I have it shipped to an address there and go down and pick them up myself.

OP here. Please give me some brand names. I love coldwater creek and territory ahead. I am an avid on-line shopper. Has anyone from Canada bought any shoes from Zappos? The only drawback for us Canucks is the cursed shipping and duties...and taxes!

My traveling pants and jacket are Zenergy from Chicos. I don't do online shoes, my feet are too hard to fit.

Comfort is priority one! I wear a pair of black yoga pants (can double for exercise wear - okay I usually 'plan' to visit the gym :D)....short sleeve t-shirt and lightweight jacket/hoodie thing (no hood tho) - very soft and comfy. Soft 'non binding' socks!! and yes I do wear my runners - saves on having to pack them and also good when having to run or walk quickly thru an airport!! I do plan to pack a pair of flip flops in my carry on and if I'm warm on the plane or when I land I stash the jacket/sweater thing in my carryon as well!

I don't like wearing jeans on a plane - not that comfortable and since I don't wear them in the caribbean makes for a 'wasted' piece of clothing - like everything to do double (or triple?) duty!

I always wear jeans, t-shirt and zip sweatshirt on the plane, along with socks and tennis shoes. We do alot of walking and tennis shoes weigh alot. Layer your clothing and you can take off if you are warm, or have the extra if it is cold on the plane. I tend to always be cold on the plane and the sweatshirt helps to keep me warm. If it it warm on the plane, the sweatshirt can double as a pillow to take a snooze. I always carry lighter clothes in my carry on along with sandals. Make a stop in the restroom at the airport before we get our luggage. There will be cool chilly nights in Hawaii, anytime of the year. Have a great time in Hawaii. It is a great Paradise to get away to!

We have a home in Hawaii and travel there frequently. I always wear the same type of thing. Linen pants with a matching light jacket, coordinating shirt and sandals that look okay with socks. Somewhere on the flight when I get warm enough, I take off the jacket and socks.

Since I always leave my car at the airport, there is no problem with having a warm coat, gloves, etc. left there for when I return home to the cold weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived