Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

Solo Cruisers
Cruising is one of the best vacation experiences for those cruising alone -- learn more here, or just share your experiences cruising by your lonesome!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:50 PM.
1,598 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Hello- going on the Escape 9/16 to Canada New England- for those with studios you can always try calling the week before and seeing if you can upgrade to a balcony - it worked for me the last 3 times; sometimes there are cabins left that are being sold with no single supplement and you would only pay the difference between your original booking and the current price. You can still attend the solo gatherings even if not in a studio.
I did the studio once which was fine- but why not have the extra space. Also, recently I was able to pick up a second promo.
61 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by Winterpegger74
Hi there! First time cruiser here, going solo on the EPIC in February 2020 on the Southern Caribbean itinerary from San Juan. Any tips or suggestions for a first time solo?
Smile; cultivate a positive, open attitude; friendly people attract friendly people.

I've done, and love both. Sailing solo has its own benefits. Go and do whatever, whenever. Dine with others, or if "peopled out" eat alone. Mingle or be alone, it's your choice. Be prepared to hear..."You're so brave" or some such remarks; it caught me off guard the first time, after that I'd just smile.
Scotland
340 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Just booked Studio Balcony cabin on RCI's new Spectrum of the Seas. Dubai to Singapore 4 May 2019
Drinks package, WiFi and two nights pre and post cruise

Three cruises booked now:
MSC Seaside in November and NCL Epic in January - I had better calm my jets for a bit!! LOL
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

San Diego
7,358 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
My next solo cruise is in 30 days on the Carnival Imagination
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess...Elite HAL...4 star Celebrity...Elite RCCL...Diamond Carnival...Platinum NCL...Gold
Sneads Ferry NC
702 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
solo unless I can find some one to come 04/28/19 TA from NY to Rome and I'm scared as hell lol
Booked a balcony...ouch..so I can add someone if i can convince a relative or friend to join in
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Reno
1,285 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
I am newly single and will be sailing Princess out of San Francisco to Hawaii solo. I am looking forward to all aspects of the cruise with one exception. I am concerned that I will feel lonely being solo with all the couples and groups around. I know I can find a lot to do. And what about dining?

I am mid 50s

Dina
Brooklyn, New York USA
564 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Originally posted by h2owatson
I am newly single and will be sailing Princess out of San Francisco to Hawaii solo. I am looking forward to all aspects of the cruise with one exception. I am concerned that I will feel lonely being solo with all the couples and groups around. I know I can find a lot to do. And what about dining?

I am mid 50s

Dina
Hi Diana,

I pray that you learn to not be lonely by yourself. People can be in a crowded room with friends, family and coworkers yet still be lonely. Learn to love yourself, feel comfortable with yourself and enjoy who you are.

Ramona
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I'll Give You a Hint ...Think Beverly Cleary
Illinois
996 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
I am mid 50s
Dina
Hey Dina -
Those groups & couples might be in greater number, but when I cruise solo they're very welcoming & friendly. And, in fact, many are impressed by & curious about someone 'brave enough' to sail alone.
Take a book or tablet everywhere as a backup time filler in case you don't meet a new friend at every event. Don't hesitate to ask to sit with a group listening to music or join in a team activity or game. Let the CD (or one of his/her assistants) know you're solo & wouldn't mind meeting others to hang out or dine with. You can even dance solo or ask to join a group of gals on the dance floor. And definitely join the roll call!
You'll be fine! Have fun.
Nancy
Tampa, FL
1,031 Posts
Joined Mar 2013

I am mid 50s

Dina
Dina,
It really depends upon your personality. Just be aware that any stress that happens when you are traveling solo will seem more stressful since you are by yourself but relax and have fun. Do what you would ordinarily do- be outgoing if you want but stay to yourself when you want. Make sure you bring a book or something if you don't feel like talking or do the activities. The pros of traveling solo is doing what you want when you want.

Think about if you want traditional or anytime dining. I have done traditional most of the time but may do anytime next time to meet more people. I tend to do more ship excursions when I travel solo so I don't have to worry about being in an unfamiliar place. Have a great time!
San Diego
7,358 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
[quote=h2owatson;56452139]I am newly single and will be sailing Princess out of San Francisco to Hawaii solo. I am looking forward to all aspects of the cruise with one exception. I am concerned that I will feel lonely being solo with all the couples and groups around. I know I can find a lot to do. And what about dining?

I am mid 50s

Dina , I have cruised solo to Hawaii , Panama Canal and Alaska ,I am never lonely they always have something going on ,when it is time to eat I go to the buffet …..Have a Great Cruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess...Elite HAL...4 star Celebrity...Elite RCCL...Diamond Carnival...Platinum NCL...Gold
3,411 Posts
Joined Nov 2004

I am mid 50s

Dina
Lucky you! That, to me, is the only way to go. I have done many solos and enjoyed each and every one of them. I have met many people who I have befriended an even joined one on a cruise a few years ago on a 12-day cruise from Rome to Monaco, Greece, Turkey and Egypt on Costa Concordia, which met its fate off of Italy. As for dining, you can ask for a large table where you can mingle with others or you can eat at the buffet. So many choices for you and am anxious to hear how it goes. Bon Voyage!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life is like an elevator. On your way up, you have to sometimes stop and let some people off.
Reno
1,285 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice! I am less anxious about it now! I have always been able to talk to people and make friends while on a cruise. This will be no different.

Dina
27 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
I have found eating alone to be the worst part of eating out anywhere. However while cruising, I go to the main dining room, and ask the maitre d' to sit me with a group. I usually do this even if not cruising solo. Many people are eager to share their table with others, I have never been left alone. Also if I make acquaintance with interesting people on board or on an excursion, I sometimes arrange to meet in the bar outside the dining room at a set time, then we go in together.
Brooklyn, New York USA
564 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Originally posted by littlebrownbook
I have found eating alone to be the worst part of eating out anywhere. However while cruising, I go to the main dining room, and ask the maitre d' to sit me with a group. I usually do this even if not cruising solo. Many people are eager to share their table with others, I have never been left alone. Also if I make acquaintance with interesting people on board or on an excursion, I sometimes arrange to meet in the bar outside the dining room at a set time, then we go in together.

I'd rather eat alone then to eat with bad or disagreeable company. I rather enjoy my own company. Besides, you are never alone. There is always me, myself and I.

Ramona
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I'll Give You a Hint ...Think Beverly Cleary
I live in Spring, TX
176 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Hello all.
I'm cruising solo on the Celebrity Infinity December 3 through 8, 2018. I am looking forward to being on this ship, as I love Celebrity Cruises. This will be my 5th cruise alone, so I'm used to dining alone. Sometimes I would rather eat alone (if I'm in the grips of a wonderful book that I'm reading) and sometimes I like to sit with a group.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature