Review Refurbished Westerdam 12 day Mediterranean

Swice

It's been a month now since we got off the newly refurbished Westerdam. Mostly-- I liked the changes.

There was a massive amount of information I wanted to include in a review-- about the refurbishment-- and about the ports.

I had a lot of trouble during research finding material about some of the ports, so my hope is some of my details will help others with planning.

Note our family, and many others I'm sure, will talk about our day in Morocco for many years to come.

Here is the link to the review:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=583756

Our ports of call:

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Livorno, Italy (Pisa/Florence)

Monte Carlo, Monaco

Villefranche-sur-Mer, France (last minute change from St. Tropez,France)

Ajaccio, Corsica, France

Almeria, Spain

Ceuta, Spanish Territory

Marseille, France

Sete, France (Carcassonne)

Barcelona, Spain

Edited by Swice

Thank you Swice; I appreciate not only the commentary, but your helpful photos as well. I did not see any details in the text about the new set up in the Crow's Nest with Explorations Central. Did I miss them somehow, or did you not include those in your review? Thanks.

I did not see any details in the text about the new set up in the Crow's Nest with Explorations Central. Did I miss them somehow, or did you not include those in your review? Thanks.

Hey,

I chose not to talk much about the Crow's Nest re-do since it's in another thread. It's a "change" for sure. Like many of the other changes, I'm totally in the middle -- I don't love it but I really don't dislike it either. There is a lot of seating, it's just not in the configuration you're used to. Many of the chairs can be moved around for a better view when needed. Granted some of the "book cases" are in one corner but I think that can be worked around during those times when the ship sails through certain areas and a large group gathers up there for the view. The shore excursion desk is basically where the coffee stand used to be, so in my opinion it's not taking anything away. The electronic tables that display shore excursion photos are where the guest computer stations used to be. So again, those are not removing scenic cruising viewing space. The new coffee bar is taking up the space that used to be the regular bar (so really no change other than it's been moved over a few feet?). The giant electronic screen that displays "a question of the day, (example: "where are you from?" /few participated by the way)" is on a back wall-- so maybe that took away a bench/seating area when it was the Crow's Nest... but the DJ music booth is gone and that removal opened up space. I am not sure I understand why some would be so upset. I think the only real "removal" is the long sofa-style bench that stretched across the front windows (but of course to look out, you had to sit sideways and I found that uncomfortable). Some ships have/had a recliner type chair in front of the windows but I was never lucky enough to get one on scenic cruising days (so that's no personal loss for me). I hope I'm explaining???

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed review, especially with regards to the changes to the decor. I may be in the minority but am glad to see HAL's design team moving in a direction of a more modern and cohesive design language throughout the ships. This is more apparent with the Westerdam renovations than with what was done on the Eurodam and Oosterdam. One of my biggest pet peeves with HAL for many years has been their crazy-quilt approach to renovations - especially carpet patterns and fabric choices in adjacent areas. Perhaps Mr Ashford has made a case to CCL corporate to increase the capital expenditure budget to make the ships more competitive (interior design wise) with Celebrity, Azamara, Oceania, Viking, etc.

While I really like the revamp of the Crows Nest / Explorations cafe into the EXC concept, I do understand where others bemoan the loss of a traditional library offering with a large number of Fiction/Non-Fiction books for loan. The new space seems to focus mostly on travel / architecture / art related books and I see little else. For me personally I travel with a fully loaded Kindle to ensure I have reading material to suit my tastes at all times (and I am a rather voracious reader) so I feel less affected by this change, but can certainly understand where those who prefer not to use an E-Reader are upset. That said, there still seem to be ample places to read and enjoy the views. I also like the inclusion of more dining height tables in the central area of the space - great for people who wish to play cards, games, etc and still enjoy the Crow's Nest space. I love nothing more on a stretch of sea days than playing a few rounds of RummiKub, Mexican Train Dominoes or various card games in a nice lounge with a fantastic view and a few glasses of wine or a hot coffee :D

I think HAL is definitely a line in transition - they are trying to shed the image of being "Grandmas Cruise Line" and appeal to a more diverse, active and multi-generational audience. Change is hard. Change takes time. Not every change is good, and not every change is a success. I personally feel they are on the right track with their partnerships with Billboard, Lincoln Center, BBC Earth, America's Test Kitchen, the Rijksmuseum, Digital Workshop by Microsoft, etc. Some I am less certain of such as the Oprah Magazine themed events/activities, as they create polarizing perceptions based on an emotional response to a specific personality rather than a response to the specific activity/enrichment being offered.

I also agree with the point related to the ports and shuttles/transport that you made, and it is common on ALL the mainstream lines. They are in a business to make money and therefore only want to give information/resources that benefit their bottom line, with the heaviest emphasis on selling shore excursions. You will find if you go to the Luxury/Luxury Lite brands (Crystal, Silversea, Regent, Oceania, Azamara, Viking, etc) many of them promote free shuttles in ports as part of their advertising, or give out that information onboard. Many of those lines actually pay the ports for the service if it is not provided complimentary. However you are also paying significantly higher per day rates for those cruise lines. As with any type of travel you will find that careful research into the available transportation options is essential. I personally never expect any form of transport to be free, but it is nice to know when that is an option, however I consider myself responsible to do the research and know what options/choices I have.

Thank you again for all the time and detail you put into your review!

Is there a bar in the Crow's Nest now, as in alcoholic drinks?

Really appreciate the review and pictures.

Generally speaking, "no" -- it's not a regular/traditional alcohol bar. Don't hold me to this because I didn't pay close attention, but I believe there was some alcohol (shots for coffee, etc). You would think some would want wine or something else besides coffee up there... maybe the choices are simply more limited because of the coffee focus?

As with any type of travel you will find that careful research into the available transportation options is essential. I personally never expect any form of transport to be free, but it is nice to know when that is an option, however I consider myself responsible to do the research and know what options/choices I have.

Totally agree. I'm usually pretty good with the research. But for some reason I had more difficulty this time nailing down specific details about a couple of the ports. There are always going to be some people who just show up for the cruise without any planning. However, there seemed to be a lot of frustration and confusion about port transportation from many cruise veterans-- not novices. Our next vacation is with Tauck (we did a river cruise with Tauck that was off-the-charts fantastic), and you are right, they provide everything, but you also pay more for the ticket.

Generally speaking, "no" -- it's not a regular/traditional alcohol bar. Don't hold me to this because I didn't pay close attention, but I believe there was some alcohol (shots for coffee, etc). You would think some would want wine or something else besides coffee up there... maybe the choices are simply more limited because of the coffee focus?

Yikes! The Crow's Nest has been my favorite spot to spend the evening with a couple of glasses of wine.

We booked the Westerdam on Monday for the August 3rd cruise. (Unusual in that we typically book months in advance) We are excited and appreciate your review. Where did they move the happy hour that previously occupied the Crow's nest?

I just looked at your photo of the Bar itself, and zoomed in - there still appears to be a full bar stock - no need to worry there methinks :cool:;p:cool:

I do think however that the prominence of the coffee machine, and addition of the pastry display, could lead some to believe it was a "coffee house only" set up. Wine has almost always been stored in lockers/coolers below the bar out of sight, so no real change there other than merging the original bar and coffee stations into one.

Thanks so much for your fantastic and informative review!

We are on Westerdam for the first time next March, I did Zuiderdam 10 years ago and Eurodam this year so its very interesting to read the reviews.

As new passengers to the Westerdam we are expecting the usual Vista class style and layout which we have had from Zuiderdam, Eurodam, QE and QV.

And its my bucket list cruise to the panama canal. Cant WAIT!

Swice, thank you so very much for coming back to address our questions and concerns. You have done an outstanding and comprehensive review, and I appreciate all your observations. I think the Westerdam looks great. She is one of my favorite ships of the HAL fleet , and I look forward to experiencing her changes for myself in the future.

I just looked at your photo of the Bar itself, and zoomed in - there still appears to be a full bar stock - no need to worry there methinks :cool:;p:cool:

I do think however that the prominence of the coffee machine, and addition of the pastry display, could lead some to believe it was a "coffee house only" set up. Wine has almost always been stored in lockers/coolers below the bar out of sight, so no real change there other than merging the original bar and coffee stations into one.

This seems to confirm what we were told recently on the Zuiderdam about its upcoming drydock.

We developed a rapport with a bartender at the Pinnacle Bar, as well as the Pinnacle Grill manager. The bartender had heard they were removing the bar in the Crow's Nest as part of the drydock renovations, but the PG manager said drink service would be available. So, perhaps this is what the PG manager was referring to... bar service at the coffee station?

This seems to confirm what we were told recently on the Zuiderdam about its upcoming drydock.

We developed a rapport with a bartender at the Pinnacle Bar, as well as the Pinnacle Grill manager. The bartender had heard they were removing the bar in the Crow's Nest as part of the drydock renovations, but the PG manager said drink service would be available. So, perhaps this is what the PG manager was referring to... bar service at the coffee station?

The photos and videos I've seen show that the original circular bar on the fwd port side remains, they have just added a pastry display case and coffee machine on the forward side. The previous coffe bar located near the entrance on the starboard side is now the EXC tour desk.

Thank you Swice for such a detailed review. For people like us who are going on Westerdam in September, you have answered many questions. The large ports are confusing. I remember getting off first in Livorno and, because we'd been there before, started walking towards the train station. But we couldn't get out of the port! Had to ask someone to call us a cab. The walk to the train was easy but not the maze in the port.

Are computers available somewhere onboard and a printer for boarding passes? Just wondering as our two kids need to do homework everyday and have used the library computers in the past.

I will miss the puzzle table...silly, I know, but I did that while DH checked in with the office and DD and DS pulled homework off the cloud.

Thanks for the review!