QE on a cruise to nowhere.

Lanky Lad

I was just checking the bridge cams and noticed it looked rough for QE. On checking on AIS she was heading for Zeebrougge but turned away and is now heading back down the channel.

There will be complaints of a cruise from hell no doubt, but these things happen when you book a cruise in the channel in December.

I was just checking the bridge cams and noticed it looked rough for QE. On checking on AIS she was heading for Zeebrougge but turned away and is now heading back down the channel.

There will be complaints of a cruise from hell no doubt, but these things happen when you book a cruise in the channel in December.

currently 44knots at Sandiette LV WSW no pilot boarding at Wandelaar Pilot station

I was just checking the bridge cams and noticed it looked rough for QE.

Mk 1 eyeball confirms that the Dover Straight has been excitingly bumpy since first light. Dover/Calais ferries are running but P&O are reporting Calais roughly once an hour, and just over an hour or so ago there were reports of a ferry run aground in Calais which halted ship movements. I'm not surprised that QE abandoned Zeebrugge.

Someone mentioned on Friday that the crew weren't looking forward to the current short hop, and with a ship full of people disappointed by missing their one port I imagine why. I hope everything is back to whatever passes for normal tomorrow, assuming that I can get to Southampton in time...

Sorry to here that Cruiseluvva, we have decided that our recent wonderful cruise was sadly our last. Age and health issues are becoming increasing difficult, and getting travel cover for it was horrendous.

Back to topic, the 2 ports that seem to suffer most are Zeebrugge and Guernsey, and we have several ports cancelled in our 26 years of cruising, but it's not much fun if it is a short cruise.

Just off Queen Elizabeth. Wind peaked at hurricane Force 12 in Dover Straits according to Captain. Sea state not bad considering. Excellent service on board. Better than being stuck on a motorway in snow!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

Just of this short trip cruise just to put the record straight we set sail at 20.00 for a mystery cruise down to the Channel Islands , Then the next day ( Saturday)was a Sea day and Zeebruger was intended for the Sunday but this was canaled as the Port Harbour Master told the Captain that the conditions where to bad to Dock and Undock , In my Opinion the Captain had no say in the Matter as the Port would Not let us Dock, Now the weather conditions where Known 5 Days before we Sailed so why did Cunard not go to Zeebruger on the Saturday when the weather was fine & there was space to dock instead of just sailing up and down the Channel, Cunard made the wrong by Decision not changing the day Result a lot of very irate passenger's.

Just of this short trip cruise just to put the record straight we set sail at 20.00 for a mystery cruise down to the Channel Islands , Then the next day ( Saturday)was a Sea day and Zeebruger was intended for the Sunday but this was canaled as the Port Harbour Master told the Captain that the conditions where to bad to Dock and Undock , In my Opinion the Captain had no say in the Matter as the Port would Not let us Dock, Now the weather conditions where Known 5 Days before we Sailed so why did Cunard not go to Zeebruger on the Saturday when the weather was fine & there was space to dock instead of just sailing up and down the Channel, Cunard made the wrong by Decision not changing the day Result a lot of very irate passenger's.

Perhaps there was no availability to dock in Zeebrugge on the Saturday as perhaps other cruise ships were docked and as cruise berths are booked many months in advance and you cannot just change at the last minute.

I was on this cruise too and everybody onboard I spoke to understood the situation and was not irate at all. I had been tracking the weather, and dispute that the conditions on Sunday 10th were known sufficiently well 5 days before sailing (ie on Sunday 3rd) for a major change of itinerary to be justified, as suggested.

We join QV tomorrow and have just received notification from Cunard that due to adverse weather conditions we will no longer be going to Amsterdam but will now be going to Rotterdam instead. We're just happy to be on the ship so not really bothered where it goes, in fact, like others, I'd be quite happy to stay in the Channel.

I was on this cruise too and everybody onboard I spoke to understood the situation and was not irate at all. I had been tracking the weather, and dispute that the conditions on Sunday 10th were known sufficiently well 5 days before sailing (ie on Sunday 3rd) for a major change of itinerary to be justified, as suggested.
I would agree with that comment. I was looking at the shipping forecast and there were gales in the Channel on Friday which is probably why the later departure of 2000hrs occurred. The Saturday forecast was for Force 5 to 7 winds in Thames and Dover sea areas which would have made Zeebrugge risky anyway and why going west first as is the usual plan for these short trips was a wise choice for passenger comfort. On Saturday the shipping forecast for the Channel was updated to violent storm 11 which is extremely unusual and seems to have taken the forecasters by surprise. By that time there were no real alternatives and France made the storm their first named storm of the season.

Edited by Sail the seas

Just off Queen Elizabeth. Wind peaked at hurricane Force 12 in Dover Straits according to Captain. Sea state not bad considering. Excellent service on board. Better than being stuck on a motorway in snow!

Now that's what you call windy. I know it looked bad from the bridge cam.

I hope everyone who was due to join the ship today made it safely and that all those who got off today are now home safe.

I got off the cruise to nowhere on QE yesterday and I think everyone on board accepted it due to weather conditions. At least the captain forewarned us the evening before that this might be a possibility. My inlaws were on a previous cruise to nowhere when nearly the whole ship were up in arms about it and I think it was because the captain was not very forthcoming with information. The morale of the story is to keep passengers informed at all times, and it gets accepted a little easier.

I enjoyed this trip and for the first time travelled solo and but knew quite a few people on board. It is a shame there was no meet and greet on this trip - i couldn't even find a roll call. It would have been nice to meet a few more people.

I felt sorry for the crew as they thought they would be getting a restful day without the passengers being around (and even a day off for some) and they all had to work extra hard to make sure everyone was happy.

It was a nice short trip with a lot of first timers on board and I do hope it gave them a taste of what Cunard can offer.

I can now officially say I a member of a very special "cruise to nowhere" club. It is very elite you know!

Thanks for reporting back Lynne, Congratulations on joining the Cruise to nowhere club !

Sometimes with roll calls everyone waits to be the first person to start one and it never happens - not usually the case when you are onboard though !

I guess a lot of first timers don't know about us.

For those of you who like to watch the webcams/ships trackers, QV is now leaving Southampton and heading straight to Rotterdam - not Zeebrugges as planned - we will get to Rotterdam late afternoon/early evening where we have been told we will be staying overnight so that we have a full day there on Thursday. We will then move to Zeebrugges overnight where we will then spend a full day on Friday. We will then go to Cherbourg, as planned, for a full day on Saturday. When did scanning the ships cards at Muster start? This was a new one on us, only experienced it on Princess before.