What do men Actually wear on Formal Night - 2011 poll

Times Prince

On Formal Nights on PRINCESS CRUISES ONLY I actually (or my male traveling companion)  

672 members have voted

1. 1. On Formal Nights on PRINCESS CRUISES ONLY I actually (or my male traveling companion)

• Choose to dress casual and/or do not eat in the main dining room on formal nights
    • wear a tuxedo to the main dining room.
    • wear a suit and tie to the main dining room
    • wear a sport coat/slacks with a tie to the main dining room
    • wear a military dress uniform (thanks for serving!)
    • wear formal ethnic/national/religious dress (e.g. Scottish Kilt, Islamic clothing, etc. )
    • wear a sport coat/slacks with open collar or turtleneck to the MDR
    • Do not wear a coat/tie and have NEVER been queried about dress code by the Maitre'D
    • Do not wear a coat/tie and HAVE been queried about dress code or been turned away by the Maitre'D
    • other - please comment

2010 Princess only Men's Formal Poll

We have often seen opinions about what is worn, could be worn, of "what can I get away with" to the Main Dining Room on Formal Nights. The Princess Cruises dress "code" for formal nights is fairly clear.

Many posts cite what they would LIKE to see, and may not reflect what is actually done. For instance one can read posters who adamantly support casual dress but admit they always dress per the formal dress suggestions.

Several, including myself, have posted approximate statistics on type of men's dress observed (e.g. 40% tuxedo, 45% suit, 10% sport coat/tie, 5% other), some of which may be conflicting data to the Cruise Critic reader.

There was a poll on this subject I posted over a year ago. From comments seen more recently there may be a shift in what is actually worn.

The intent of this poll is to see what the real statistics may be for a sample of Cruise Critic members who have sailed on Princess Cruises.

This poll should:

- only show what the man actually wears. This is not a "what should be allowed" poll.

- show one person = one vote (not who can post more comments supporting a position)

- enable all Cruise Critic members to stand up and be counted (poll is anonymous).

Thanks for the input !

Bob

I guess I've pretty much done them all. On our last cruise I wore a suit. The cruise before that I rented a tux. On others we skipped formal nights. And sometimes I did a combination :-)

Well, I was interested to actually see what went down on formal nights on our first Princess Cruise. Previous cruises on NCL and Celebrity saw a real mix, with the NCL cruise having tuxes and the Celebrity having no tuxes.

I was worried about my husband's wardrobe after reading on CC that most men really dress up on formal nights. However, on formal nights during our 14 day Caribbean cruise on CB this past month, I saw a real mix. My husband wore slacks and a suit jacket with an open collar dress shirt and he was certainly far from underdressed. Sure, I saw tuxes, but I also saw a dude in sandals (a 60-something looking guy) and plenty in short sleeved dress shirts and no jacket.

Something I noted: many on CC will say, "Well, you may feel UNCOMFORTABLE" if you are dressed down. Really? I had to purposely LOOK AROUND to see what the men were all wearing (I did this because of what I'd read on CC and I really just wanted to see what was out there in the dining room). Otherwise, I would not be able to tell you what those other men were wearing. I think you'd have to be a fairly paranoid person to feel so "uncomfortable" in this situation.

Well, I was interested to actually see what went down on formal nights on our first Princess Cruise. Previous cruises on NCL and Celebrity saw a real mix, with the NCL cruise having tuxes and the Celebrity having no tuxes.

I was worried about my husband's wardrobe after reading on CC that most men really dress up on formal nights. However, on formal nights during our 14 day Caribbean cruise on CB this past month, I saw a real mix. My husband wore slacks and a suit jacket with an open collar dress shirt and he was certainly far from underdressed. Sure, I saw tuxes, but I also saw a dude in sandals (a 60-something looking guy) and plenty in short sleeved dress shirts and no jacket.

Something I noted: many on CC will say, "Well, you may feel UNCOMFORTABLE" if you are dressed down. Really? I had to purposely LOOK AROUND to see what the men were all wearing (I did this because of what I'd read on CC and I really just wanted to see what was out there in the dining room). Otherwise, I would not be able to tell you what those other men were wearing. I think you'd have to be a fairly paranoid person to feel so "uncomfortable" in this situation.

Some people on this board will have you believe that everyone is dressed in their finest on formal nights. You have seen & now believe what actually takes place. ;)

I must be one of those ten percent or less. I am on the Grand TA this spring. I have worn suits and ties for nearly 40 years and when I am on vacation, I want to relax, not dress up. DW and I usually eat in Lido or specialty restaurants on formal nights. Besides, to bring formal wear usually entails another entire suitcase which these days costs more than a little to travel with. Uncomfortable. Not me. I am not on vacation to impress anyone.

Thanks for posting this survey...nice to see just numbers & not opinions. :p

Early returns are about 84% with some sort of coat & tie and will enjoy seeing the results after the poll ends in mid-May. Too many surveys are too limited in their options (including many of the CC ones on their homepage) & obviously you took your time to cover every situation...thanks again for an informative, non-biased survey. :)

I am not a dresser but I have one suite and I lose weight every year, up date the tie and shirt and pack it for the cruise. That is the only thing that gets it out of my closet.

Some people are made for suits and look good in them, I have never felt that I am one of them.

EB

I always wonder about forum polls, aren't they really showing statistics for those that answered the poll? Surely not everyone who cruises voted.

Just my 2c. :)

I think you're right! Somebody conduct a poll for those who aren't on CC! :-)

I don't know how to answer. If we know we're going to participate in formal night, DH will take his tux. We got caught out in Greece where we were invited to dine with new friends on formal night and he only had a sports jacket, shirt and tie. But lately we've opted out of formal nights and eaten in specialty restaurants in smart casual or ordered a pizza on our deck and worn shorts

Not sure I will bring tux or suit for next cruise. Really dont want to bring a third suitcase on Plane. If we were able to drive to port it would be a Tux

Another excuse! 3rd suitcase? Is it your 3rd suitcase or are there more than 1 person traveling with you?

Archived