Royal Caribbean A Step Above

This is just our opinion. No flaming please. Your experience may vary. We just got back last week from our first RCI cruise (Freedom of the Seas) after 14 on Carnival and had heard from several that RCI was a step above. Here is our comparisons:

Ship: The interior of the FOTS is the most beautiful ship we have ever cruised on (meaning the inside public areas of the ship). Carnival’s exterior (meaning pools areas, etc.) is the best.

Cabin: FOTS balcony is better with the exception of the chairs that were not comfortable. Carnival’s inside cabin area is best by far with the exception of the couch which is more comfortable on FOTS. The bathroom hands down goes to Carnival. We especially didn’t like the torture chamber shower on FOTS. The bed and pillows goes to Carnival hands down.

Food: Lido Restaurant v. Windjammer - Carnival has this one hands down as well. Many more food choices on Carnival. Main dining room goes to Carnival as well. More food choices and better food.

Staff: Great on both cruise lines.

Entertainment: Great on both but slight edge to Carnival.

Vacation Atmosphere: This one definitely goes to Carnival.

So in our opinion, we found that RCI is not a step above Carnival. We would sail on RCI again if the price and itinerary is right but prefer Carnival. RCI has too many extra pay venues.

Hi tlw440,

I would agree that Carnival has better room layouts and the bathrooms are better situated than Royal.

I feel the Windjammer totally beats the Lido. On our Freedom cruise, the Lido had very little variety of hot items at all three meals. I did like the deli though.

Entertainment was better on Royal. Carnival has gone to the canned music and done away with the live show bands.

Service was better on Royal, hands down.

Just my opinion!

Hi tlw440,

I would agree that Carnival has better room layouts and the bathrooms are better situated than Royal.

I feel the Windjammer totally beats the Lido. On our Freedom cruise, the Lido had very little variety of hot items at all three meals. I did like the deli though.

Entertainment was better on Royal. Carnival has gone to the canned music and done away with the live show bands.

Service was better on Royal, hands down.

Just my opinion!

I respect your opinion. We have had great service on both.

I am not sure I would say one was “above” the other. They offer a slightly different product.

One’s definition of “vacation atmosphere” or perception of food/customer service, ship décor etc., may differ from another person’s view. Assessment of items like room size is one of the few areas that can be solidly compared as the “opinion factor” is taken out.

Whatever your choice – Enjoy

M

This is just our opinion. No flaming please. Your experience may vary. We just got back last week from our first RCI cruise (Freedom of the Seas) after 14 on Carnival and had heard from several that RCI was a step above. Here is our comparisons:

Ship: The interior of the FOTS is the most beautiful ship we have ever cruised on (meaning the inside public areas of the ship). Carnival’s exterior (meaning pools areas, etc.) is the best.

Cabin: FOTS balcony is better with the exception of the chairs that were not comfortable. Carnival’s inside cabin area is best by far with the exception of the couch which is more comfortable on FOTS. The bathroom hands down goes to Carnival. We especially didn’t like the torture chamber shower on FOTS. The bed and pillows goes to Carnival hands down.

Food: Lido Restaurant v. Windjammer - Carnival has this one hands down as well. Many more food choices on Carnival. Main dining room goes to Carnival as well. More food choices and better food.

So in our opinion, we found that RCI is not a step above Carnival. We would sail on RCI again if the price and itinerary is right but prefer Carnival. RCI has too many extra pay venues.

Thanks for sharing your views. We have never sailed Carnival but would give it a try if the circumstances were right.

I agree that overall food options are more with CarnivaL

Good comparison, but would like some specific detail.

What didn't you like about the entertainment? What shows did you attend and find less enjoyable than Carnival? Did you see the Ice show? I have never found Carnival entertainment to superior. Many of the headliners and comedians tour numerous cruise lines - so this could be just a bad week.

What didn't you like about the Freedom pools? The pools themselves on Carnival were more crowded IMHO. Freedom has a great kids area and flowrider. What does Carnival off that compares to that?

Thanks

The title that you chose for your thread puzzles me.

Did you intend to use more words, or perhaps some punctuation? It just doesn't make sense to me.

:confused:

The title that you chose for your thread puzzles me.

Did you intend to use more words, or perhaps some punctuation? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I was just thinking the same thing. OP clearly prefers Carnival:rolleyes:

the title that you chose for your thread puzzles me.

Did you intend to use more words, or perhaps some punctuation? it just doesn't make sense to me.

perhaps if it were followed with a ?, that may have made it clearer for you.

I think if you read the 4th sentence that is what is being referenced.

:) ;)

I liked Carnival while I was in college and for a few years after, but I now prefer Royal as I like to relax a little more and drink a little less. I think the Carnival pool areas are more fun if you are in a party mood. I'm sure as I get older, I will probably move on to Celebrity and think Royal has too much partying.

As for food, I really don't notice a difference unless I eat at a specialty restaurant. The entertainment is much better on Royal, but just my opinion.

I was just thinking the same thing. OP clearly prefers Carnival:rolleyes:

Why the :rolleyes:?

OP - Can't have an opinion? They never knocked Royal. :rolleyes:

They stated their opinion and preferences. We can't do that here?

We found the service on the Carnival Pride to be terrible. We did like the food ... if we could get it.

Also, they had a LOT of food at the buffet but the layout was too choppy. Too many different stations. Too many bottlenecks.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Which of the Carnival ships is most like FOS (or maybe a little smaller)? With 14 Carnival cruises, I want to get an idea what you're comparing. Not flaming, just curious having never been on Carnival.

I just got off the Enchantment today. Having Carnival 2 times in the past I agree that there are many similarities and many differences. I am glad having the experience of sailing Royal but for me, Carnival was better in all aspects. Food, entertainment, customer service, and plain Fun. I had a great time and could not imagine having a bad cruise on any ship but just prefer Carnival. I must disagree with the comment about Windjammer better. I think the Lido wins plus it's not as chaotic as Wind Jammer seemed to me. The omelet station was a complete disaster with the set up but it did taste good. One thing I liked on Royal was the space on the main pool deck. It seemed better utilized.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I haven't read all your responses, but we just got of FOTS a little over two weeks ago. I really didn't know how it was going to go, as they LOST our luggage for almost 4 days last time.:(

This was a much better experience with RCCL. :)

Comparing the dining rooms, I think RCCL dining room may have larger than several Carnival ships I have been on before, but..........we were stuck back in a corner, and when any type of entertainment went on, we could not see any of it.:( Are waiters were very good, and maybe a tad better than some Carnival waiters.

Attendants for our rooms, We have really never had any problem with Carnival or RCCL, and the "both" do the towel animals, which we love.:)

One thing I did like that the Carnival ships do not have is that we had a sofa in our "inner" room, as well as a chair. That may be because it is a much larger ship than what we have been on before, when doing Carnival.

I do LOVE Carnivals beds/comforters. I feel like a baby when I'm in those beds.

As for the buffets, I think they are both about the same.

As for FREE food, I think Carnival has them beat in that area. I didn't think the Royal Promanade area had that much free food. Same way with the pizza, Carnivals is better.

Another thing that Carnival had, was the midnight buffets, or the chocolate buffets, which RCCL did not have.

RCCl ice show was the BEST, and I have never seen any shows on Carnival like this.

I do favor Carnival, but I'm beginning to like RCCL, only they do no upgrades, like Carnival and Princess do.:)

To each his own. I am glad you have Carnival to go back to. It takes all kinds to make an interesting world. But curious why you posted on the RCCL board and not on the Carnival board since you clearly give them the edge.

Funny, I feel just the opposite about every thing you mentioned. I have sailed Carnival and nobody could entice me to get on one again.:)

To each his own. I am glad you have Carnival to go back to. It takes all kinds to make an interesting world. But curious why you posted on the RCCL board and not on the Carnival board since you clearly give them the edge.

Funny, I feel just the opposite about every thing you mentioned. I have sailed Carnival and nobody could entice me to get on one again.:)

The exact same thread is on the Carnival board, actually. The title is rather misleading... I thought that a Carnival cruiser tried Royal and decided that it was "A Step Above Carnival."

I haven't read all your responses, but we just got of FOTS a little over two weeks ago. I really didn't know how it was going to go, as they LOST our luggage for almost 4 days last time.:(

This was a much better experience with RCCL. :)

Comparing the dining rooms, I think RCCL dining room may have larger than several Carnival ships I have been on before, but..........we were stuck back in a corner, and when any type of entertainment went on, we could not see any of it.:( Are waiters were very good, and maybe a tad better than some Carnival waiters.

Attendants for our rooms, We have really never had any problem with Carnival or RCCL, and the "both" do the towel animals, which we love.:)

One thing I did like that the Carnival ships do not have is that we had a sofa in our "inner" room, as well as a chair. That may be because it is a much larger ship than what we have been on before, when doing Carnival.

I do LOVE Carnivals beds/comforters. I feel like a baby when I'm in those beds.

As for the buffets, I think they are both about the same.

As for FREE food, I think Carnival has them beat in that area. I didn't think the Royal Promanade area had that much free food. Same way with the pizza, Carnivals is better.

Another thing that Carnival had, was the midnight buffets, or the chocolate buffets, which RCCL did not have.

RCCl ice show was the BEST, and I have never seen any shows on Carnival like this.

I do favor Carnival, but I'm beginning to like RCCL, only they do no upgrades, like Carnival and Princess do.:)

I'm not sure that my experiences with each line reaches the same conclusion. Where food is close in quality in the buffets, the Carnival designs sends you all over looking for choices and causes lines. Other than omelets in the morning, I've never been more than the third person in line from a choice in Windjammer.

I find that there are many more choices of snacks in RCI's Cafe Promenade/Sorrento's or Park Cafe. They have several types of sandwiches, salads, cookies, cakes, and fruit. I've never seen anything like that on my Carnival cruises. However, I did like the Carnival grill near the Lido pools. I'm not crazy about the Cafe Promenade pizza or Carnival pizza, but at least on RCI they keep making them in advance so there isn't the long wait Carnival has. Other than pizza, our Carnival cruises had nothing available other than room service after the Lido closed. Way more choices on RCI and they were open way beyond our bedtime!

Midnight buffets on Carnival? On three Carnival cruises, all that was offered was the opening of a single line in the buffet and offering inferior "Mexican"

food. The chocolate dip bar was limited and the line long. Every one of my five RCI cruises (four different ships), including one four-night cruise, had extensive and very nicely presented midnight party buffets on the pool deck. Numerous choices of many foods and desserts including a good chocolate fountain for covering.