Sewage Smell on Radiance?

mwarzecha

Radiance has an issue of piping problems. Not our favorite ship. My parents call it the "poop" ship. We haven't had terrible issues (a few times the toilet has not worked) but have had tablemates or met others onboard with more serious things going on. With that being said, those problems are generally the exception. Almost every ship has sewage smells at one place or another as many passengers put things into the system they aren't supposed to and it gets clogged up.

My husband and I are considering booking an Alaskan cruise on Radiance in July, 2016. However, I've read 6+ reviews citing poor plumbing and resulting sewage smells and stinky cabins. Can anyone who has cruised recently comment?

Saw your post on Face Book. All ships have some variation of that problem. BUT NOT IN THE CABIN.

I confirm Radiance plumbing design has problems. If one toilet got clogged, the rest of the deck will be clogged.

Happened twice during my 14 night New Zealand last Feb...

But I'm still sailing the Radiance this next year knowing the possible inconveniences.

ALL ships will get that "sewage" smell at some time or another. It's inevitable. Ship's plumbing is really particular... Usually, it's not an "all the time" thing. You really can't predict where it will occur or IF it will..but it is likely on any ship.

I confirm Radiance plumbing design has problems. If one toilet got clogged, the rest of the deck will be clogged.

News flash, almost all ships have the same design - the only diff is how many other cabins get affected by the clog. BTW, it is certainly is not the whole deck - just small portions of it.

We were on the Radiance this past June in Alaska. We were on deck 10 in two Junior Suites and not once did we smell anything in the cabin or around the ship at any time. Also, we did not have or see any plumbing problems. We would not hesitate to book the Radiance again we loved it!

News flash, almost all ships have the same design - the only diff is how many other cabins get affected by the clog. BTW, it is certainly is not the whole deck - just small portions of it.

Absolutely, its not a whole deck. It all depends on how far down the line the clog gets before it gets stuck. Think of your house. Someone could clog one toilet, and that would be that. Or, they could block where the main line goes out of the house, and that would clog all the toilets in the house.

Unless the toilet itself was overflowing, there wasn't real "sewerage" flooding the cabin, but what is known as "gray water". All ships' systems are segregated so that the "black water" from the toilets are completely separate from the "gray water" from sinks and showers. And, just like any building, if someone clogs the gray water drain, then everything from above will come out the most opportune opening, which is the lowest clear pipe. Really, folks, everyone thinks ship's systems are mysterious things, but the gray water flows downhill just like anywhere else.

The "sewage" smells are most commonly caused by the traps in gray water lines drying out from the A/C. If a drain doesn't get a regular influx of water, it will dry out the trap, and gases will back up. These traps are the same as you have under your sinks at home, and in a shore toilet. If you have a vacation home that is empty for months, when you come back, there will be the smell from the traps all drying out. In a cabin, this is most commonly caused by the floor drain in the bathroom (not the shower drain). This drain sees very little water, so a glass of water poured into it daily will keep the stinky away.

Absolutely, its not a whole deck. It all depends on how far down the line the clog gets before it gets stuck. Think of your house. Someone could clog one toilet, and that would be that. Or, they could block where the main line goes out of the house, and that would clog all the toilets in the house.

Unless the toilet itself was overflowing, there wasn't real "sewerage" flooding the cabin, but what is known as "gray water". All ships' systems are segregated so that the "black water" from the toilets are completely separate from the "gray water" from sinks and showers. And, just like any building, if someone clogs the gray water drain, then everything from above will come out the most opportune opening, which is the lowest clear pipe. Really, folks, everyone thinks ship's systems are mysterious things, but the gray water flows downhill just like anywhere else.

The "sewage" smells are most commonly caused by the traps in gray water lines drying out from the A/C. If a drain doesn't get a regular influx of water, it will dry out the trap, and gases will back up. These traps are the same as you have under your sinks at home, and in a shore toilet. If you have a vacation home that is empty for months, when you come back, there will be the smell from the traps all drying out. In a cabin, this is most commonly caused by the floor drain in the bathroom (not the shower drain). This drain sees very little water, so a glass of water poured into it daily will keep the stinky away.

Thank you. This is the most reasonable explanation I have read about the smell. I'll take your advice on a cup of water in the drain each day.

Will be on the sister ship Brilliance Dec 5. Everyship has minor smells due to venting. They were replacing all of the plumbing while we sailed on Jewel which turned the water brown thruout the cruise. These ships require constant maintenance to keep thing flowing smoothly with thousands of weekly cruisers and no rest.

But I'm still sailing the Radiance this next year knowing the possible inconveniences.

We've recently returned from a 16 day radiance cruise Syd/NZ/Perth. Cabin 3534. Had to request a toilet fix 5 or 6 times due to not flushing. Once for shower drain blockage and one call when the floor drain gurgled up some grey water. I think the radiance does have some plumbing issues.

We've recently returned from a 16 day radiance cruise Syd/NZ/Perth. Cabin 3534. Had to request a toilet fix 5 or 6 times due to not flushing. Once for shower drain blockage and one call when the floor drain gurgled up some grey water. I think the radiance does have some plumbing issues.