Off port parking

woody14h

Driving in March to POM. Need advice on a reliable off site parking facility. I found 8300safecruiseparking.com and Panda and Premier possibilities. Any advice from former customers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Many locals here on the boards do not recommend off site parking for Miami. Much safer to park at the port.

That's what I am afraid of. We will be away 20 days. $400 plus tax. A little inconvenience I can see but that is quite a hit.

That's what I am afraid of. We will be away 20 days. $400 plus tax. A little inconvenience I can see but that is quite a hit.

There is absolutely nowhere in Miami that I would leave my car unattended for 20 days other than the port unless it was in my secure office building or high rise condo.

What about a 1-way car rental to a rental location in either downtown Miami or MIA (shuttle or taxi to POM), and then the reverse for the return home?

I too am from Florida (now)

lived in Miami for many years on and off during the 80's and 90's

worked in the port

I'd find another way to get to the cruise and leave my car at home

the car rental is the BEST solution

in WORST case, park at the airport in Palm Beach and suffer the many steps to use tri-rail to the port

OR ......

you can hire a limo

compare the costs and be prepared to be surprised!

Since you "appear" to be from FL., it might be cheaper to rent a car to drive to port and rent another car to drive home...

I am a full time Floridian originally from Long Island. Car rentals are almost as expensive as pier parking ($175 Avis and Hertz) plus the inconvenience of getting back and forth. Hotel with long term parking also would be more than port. I guess I'll bite the bullet and use the pier. I don't like the idea of driving around Miami. Have done it to the airport but pier parking is another matter. Should be easy but expensive. Thanks for your recommendations.

I am a full time Floridian originally from Long Island. Car rentals are almost as expensive as pier parking ($175 Avis and Hertz) plus the inconvenience of getting back and forth. Hotel with long term parking also would be more than port. I guess I'll bite the bullet and use the pier. I don't like the idea of driving around Miami. Have done it to the airport but pier parking is another matter. Should be easy but expensive. Thanks for your recommendations.

How about a shuttle service to the Tri Rail Station at Magnolia Park? It shouldn't be much more than an hour depending upon how far north you live.

If a lot is fenced, why is not safe in Miami?

Doesn't the lot owner will be held reliable if your car got broken into?

Hahahahaha! OMG that's funny.

No, a fence doesn't mean anything.

Most of the time those that are robbing you are working for the parking company.

The owner? Good luck ever finding who the owner is and if you can find the owner, you'll never collect.

I have traveled out of the country several times from Miami both from the airport and on cruises and always parked off site and never had an issue. Not to say it can't happen, but my experiences have been positive so far.

From the airport I've parked at the Red Roof Inn on Lejeune Rd twice and the Holiday Inn on South Royal Poinciana Blvd once (right down the street from Red Roof). Red Roof is gated parking where as at the Holiday Inn you just park in the open parking lot.

For cruises I always park at Premier cruise parking (http://www.premiercruiseparking.com/) which will shuttle you back and forth. It is a gated parking garage in downtown and again never had any issues and a lot cheaper than parking at the terminal.

So, the Marriott MIA Airport Parking at 1201 NW LeJeune Rd, Miami, FL 33126 for only $112 for 14 days is a bad idea?

I stay at that hotel all the time. Never parked for a cruise though. They have a security gate with a card system. It's a pretty busy complex with 3 Marriott brands on site. Marriott, Courtyard and Residence inn. You should be fine there.

I have traveled out of the country several times from Miami both from the airport and on cruises and always parked off site and never had an issue. Not to say it can't happen, but my experiences have been positive so far.

From the airport I've parked at the Red Roof Inn on Lejeune Rd twice and the Holiday Inn on South Royal Poinciana Blvd once (right down the street from Red Roof). Red Roof is gated parking where as at the Holiday Inn you just park in the open parking lot.

For cruises I always park at Premier cruise parking (http://www.premiercruiseparking.com/) which will shuttle you back and forth. It is a gated parking garage in downtown and again never had any issues and a lot cheaper than parking at the terminal.

You are very lucky and the law of averages would say your luck has probably run out.

I stay at that hotel all the time. Never parked for a cruise though. They have a security gate with a card system. It's a pretty busy complex with 3 Marriott brands on site. Marriott, Courtyard and Residence inn. You should be fine there.

Again, a gated card means nothing. These are $8 an hour employees. It is usually the parking employees and their friends that are robbing you and damaging the cars. There is never forced entry into the parking.

I've said my peace, if any of you think it is worth rolling the dice, be my guest.

I have zero skin in this game and no agenda. I don't care where you park but am trying to keep you from having a devastating experience.

Edited by BlueHerons

• 11 months later...

to the people that say it is a bad idea to park off site....

Why? Have you had bad experiences or know of someone who did?

I am having the same dilemma...I am trying to read up on everything to make an informed decision.

Just trying to understand any appreciate any responses.

Most of the locals who are on this board say the crime, homeless population, and fly by night operators/poor service convince them that off-site parking near POM is a bad idea.

You might look at staying cheap outside of Miami/FLL - off of 95 near PBI or even Orlando (with 1000's of hotels in every price range) is only a 3.5+ hour drive from Miami. Get an early start and you can still be on the ship by noon, and enjoy convenient, covered, & secure parking at POM

It's your car - do you feel lucky? :confused:

What makes the POM parking safer then offsite? Do they not have "$8 an hour" workers there?

I too have been looking at the premier parking. I park at red roof inn last year with no problems.

Greg

I use Safe Cruise Parking at POM in Dec 2016. Checking in we have to wait. There was something going on at the front. We finally get on the ship. On our cruise back, we leave the ship before 7 AM. We wait until 7:12AM and the driver was here. Since it was so early, everything was easy. The places are surrounded by high walls. You do have to leave your car keys with them. Do not leave any valuables. Remember you save 50% so please don't complain and just relax. I will use them again.

Edited by chong67