Past Voyage of the Vikings cruisers - Greenland ports - no info

OlsSalt

Upcoming Voyage of the Vikings this August has no shore excursion options listed yet for the two Greenland ports - at the very southern tip; Qaqortoq (eastbound) and Nanotalik (westbound).

I realize these are very small sites and not a place to expect regular "shore excursions", if any at all, However there are some interesting historic sites that appear they may be close by.

So for those who have been on this cruise, what can we expect to find in both these Greenland ports. Will HAL in time offer any shore excursion options later. And can any arrangements be made to visit any outlying locations.

There may not even be connecting roads. Hard to know at this point -just starting to find things on the maps Thanks

There are no shore tour options of which I was aware. Both ports, I found interesting just to get off the ship and wander around. At Nanortalik, if the good people of the village continue to do so, there is a cultural show available in their Cultural Center. There is a minimal cost. Dancing, singing, good cakes and coffee/tea is also served. In 2013, my visit for this event was great! Our CD told us in 2016, that it would not be available because of "local issues". The morning we arrived, we were informed that the event was available, but it was not of the quality that I had previously attended. Would I do it again, regardless of "issues"? Yes.

I have not explored trying to book other tours. I have the impression that it can be done.

There are local sights to see and markets to visit in both of the ports.

Greenland's highlight remains for me the transit of Prinz Christian Sund. I have enjoyed this in both directions in beautiful weather as well as when it was as rainy and cold to be close to being miserable. (A Captain's Coffee in the Crow's Nest was needed when we completed the passage.) It is one of my most memorable cruise experiences.

Qaqortoc is my favorite little village in Greenland. Been there several times, and still find it charming.

Isn't this cruise also going to stop at Nuuk? It would be a shame if it doesn't go there, too.

Qaqortoq : I had organized and pre-booked a tour for 12 through

http://www.sagalands.com/index.php/en/11-english-articles/30-whalsey-and-upernaviarsuk

It was a boat tour up the fjord to remains of Hvalsey Norse ruins church....stunning setting, scenery, views. ! We also stopped at an agricultural station to learn how Greenlanders farmed and adapted to their environment.

we paid for the tour at the tourist center, they took credit card.

We had a licensed guide aboard and also had time to walk around Qaqortoq to see the stone carvings, the church, etc after we came back from the boat tour.

Some others booked a boat tour to the polar ice cap - however that was a much longer excursion.

Nanortalik : we walked around, went into the church, museum , community center....

Edited by CJcruzer

Google Blue Ice Explorer, owner Jackie Simoud. We were to have taken their boat trip to the glaciers on another cruise line. However our ship didn't get into Prince Christian sound, we were very disappointed. This was a nice company to deal with, our deposits, payments were promptly refunded.

Thank you all for these tips -conveying them to the VOV roll-call. You will help us make the most of our time here. Definitely will look into the Sagaland's boat trip that reaches the surrounding very early historic sights.

Roll call members are immersing ourselves into the Iceland Sagas, and starting to uncover some very good in depth references for this journey.

Thank you all for these tips -conveying them to the VOV roll-call. You will help us make the most of our time here. Definitely will look into the Sagaland's boat trip that reaches the surrounding very early historic sights.

Roll call members are immersing ourselves into the Iceland Sagas, and starting to uncover some very good in depth references for this journey.

Hvalsey Church was a church in the abandoned Greenlandic Norse settlement of Hvalsey. The best preserved Norse ruins in Greenland, the Church was also the location of the last written record of the Greenlandic Norse, a wedding in September 1408. - from Wiki

I don't know if you've already read it, but Jane Smiley's "The Greenlanders", a very well-researched novel, gives an extremely vivid picture of the stark life of the Viking settlers there.

Qaqortoc is my favorite little village in Greenland. Been there several times, and still find it charming.

Isn't this cruise also going to stop at Nuuk? It would be a shame if it doesn't go there, too.

I too loved Qaqortoq. There is an interesting old church, a small museum covering both Greenland history and Greenlandic modern art. If I recall there is a small fee for the museum. The church is free. http://www.greenland.com/en/providers/qaqortoq-museum/

But the biggest claim to fame for this small town is the art sculpted into the cliffs between the lower and upper town. Everything is eminently walk-able although some of the cliff art does require a little more effort. http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/stone-and-man There will probably be at least one little cafe set up for the visitors.

There are no shore tour options of which I was aware. Both ports, I found interesting just to get off the ship and wander around. At Nanortalik, if the good people of the village continue to do so, there is a cultural show available in their Cultural Center.

They cancelled the cultural show on 2016 Voyage of the Vikings.

We ordered room service breakfast on Prince Christian Sund, and enjoyed it from our balcony.

Both Greenland ports are tender ports.

I too loved Qaqortoq. There is an interesting old church, a small museum covering both Greenland history and Greenlandic modern art.

But the biggest claim to fame for this small town is the art sculpted into the cliffs between the lower and upper town.

Stumbled across both the museum and carvings by accident. What delightful surprises! The church was a specific destination when I was strolling around that time.

That's what makes this village such fun---there's something unexpected at every turn. Even the grocery store and the "new kirk" are interesting finds.

We're booked on the Zuiderdam's Viking Passage in August 2018, with three tender ports in Greenland: Paamiut, Qaqortoq, and Nanortalik. I'm just starting to research our ports, so I love this thread. I hope people keep posting their tips and info; thanks to those who already have.

I did a very memorable trip to the Greenland icecap while in Quaqortuq. It was all day and required a two hour boat ride in both direction. It required walking about a quarter mile or so over very rough terrain. A great tour for people without mobility issues. I don't know how it was booked since I was a late addition. One of my great travel adventures.

I don't know if you've already read it, but Jane Smiley's "The Greenlanders", a very well-researched novel, gives an extremely vivid picture of the stark life of the Viking settlers there.

Thanks for the tip - sounds like an excellent read. I'll get it. We recently read "Beyond the Northlands: Viking Voyages and the Old Norse Sagas. (Eleanor Barraclough)

The author breaks the Sagas tales into four parts, following the Norsemen's travels as they headed west (North America and Greenland), east (Russia and Byzantium), south (France, Sicily) and north to "Thule" - their name for the unknown places in the far north. The author uses the Sagas stories as her points of reference for her own travels to see what evidence still remains today.

"Google Blue Ice Explorer, owner Jackie Simoud. We were to have taken their boat trip to the glaciers on another cruise line."

Was on 2015 VoV. This was one of the best excursions ever. Went through small passages to front of glacier. Returned through iceberg channel and saw small towns.

They cancelled the cultural show on 2016 Voyage of the Vikings.

We ordered room service breakfast on Prince Christian Sund, and enjoyed it from our balcony.

Both Greenland ports are tender ports.

Yes, we were told initially that the Show had been cancelled. But, our CD came on the PA before I left the Rotterdam and said that it was available. I went, but it was not as satisfactory as the previous one that I saw during the Viking Passage aboard the Eurodam 2-3 years before.

"Google Blue Ice Explorer, owner Jackie Simoud. We were to have taken their boat trip to the glaciers on another cruise line."

Was on 2015 VoV. This was one of the best excursions ever. Went through small passages to front of glacier. Returned through iceberg channel and saw small towns.

2015 is the year I did the tour too so we must have been on the same boat. I agree, one of the best excursions ever.

2015 is the year I did the tour too so we must have been on the same boat. I agree, one of the best excursions ever.

Thanks for this info. Which port in Greenland did you do this excursion from?

Did you do the Blue Ice tour from Qaqortoq?

Her tours leave from several ports, each offering different options. The one offered from Qaqortoq are the Halsvey Church site, or a boat trip and hike to what looks like a land-locked glacier.

Thanks - Blue Ice has a very nice website.

Did you do the Blue Ice tour from Qaqortoq?

Her tours leave from several ports, each offering different options. The one offered from Qaqortoq are the Halsvey Church site, or a boat trip and hike to what looks like a land-locked glacier.

Thanks - Blue Ice has a very nice website.

Yes, we did from Qaqortoq. Had about a hour in town before we left on excursion.

On the roll call we are noticing there are still cabins in all classes available for the 38 day RT version of the VOV.

Only one class is sold out but only on the one-way segments. Everything still remains available for the full 38 day package. Sold out right now are Neptune suites on one way, and Vista class on the other way. But ocean view and insides are open for all options - one way and RT.

This is a surprise - since in the past the legend was you needed to sign up even two years ahead to get a place on this cruise. What is happening - we are getting sobering reminders on other threads the back story about the cruising business may not be as rosy as we have long experienced.

Is the industry now over-built, over saturated, or has the cruise passenger changed so much that destinations themselves are no longer the cruise travel goal, but on-board experience now captures the cruise ship dollar. VOV is a very unique destination cruise. Long considered one of the epic must-do HAL offerings.

Any thoughts about past bookings and when you had to book or whether this was similar to your own experience when you also booked this specialty cruise.