Got a complaint - read first!

regnig

For all of you who have had problems, anticipate ever having problems or just like to complain a lot I suggest you take a look at this article. Great advice from an expert. His advice not only is prudent when writing a cruise line but would go a long way to get you the anticipated sympathy when you post here on CC.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32867445/ns/travel-cruising/

The writer of this article is correct in how a person should go about in writing or telling of a complaint on board a cruise. We had a problem on board the Diamond Princess a few cruises ago with our room we booked. I first went to the Pursers desk to tell (not complain or yell) of our displeasure with our room problem. The head Purser then came to our room and told us that we were right to be displeased with our room but unfortunately the ship was full and we would have to stay in that room for the cruise. He did however say that he would write a report to the home office of our dilema and that we should also write to the office upon our return home. He also told us to get ahold of our TA and let her know of the problem.

When we got home my wife wrote a (nice) letter to the main office and with the help of our TA we were replied back about a weekor so later. They agreed that we were right to be unhappy with that cruise and offered us a balcony on our next cruise even if we booked an inside room plus onboard credit. So we booked an inside for 15 day cruise to Hawaii and saved hundreds on the cost.

It does pay to keep your cool over any complaint that you have and the problem would be solved without having to be upset.

Excellent article, thanks for sharing it. Too often the complaints we see here are long and whiny and rambling, listing every perceived slight. There is usually a valid issue in there somewhere, but it can be hard to find. Maybe this will help....

On our last Princess Cruise I had a problem with my cabin .I advised the pursers office and they did check and agreed with me but could not do anything about it at the time .I wrote Princess when I got home stressing the positive but explaining clearly the problem .They were unbelievably understanding and compensatory .Thank you Princess .I think if you keep a cool head and remain clear,concise and polite you get better results

Ranting and raving really does not help

Michele

Maybe CC can make this a "sticky". I truly think that everyone and I mean everyone should read that link.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

How was the Alaska cruise this year and where are you off to next? I will be leaving soon for A TA on the new Equinox from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.

And have Alaska booked for next year with a land tour YIPEE

Hope all is well with both of you.

Dear Larsen,

Thanks for this article. It should be a wake up call to people who just go off because.... Complaints should be voiced, but in a proper manner and to the appropriate people.

I agree with the others who feel people on CC need to read this. Maybe it could be a prerequisite before you can post!

Kathy

Hi Marilyn' date='[/size']

How was the Alaska cruise this year and where are you off to next? I will be leaving soon for A TA on the new Equinox from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.

And have Alaska booked for next year with a land tour YIPEE

Hope all is well with both of you.

Mhy gosh girl how in the heck are you. The Alaska cruise was wonderful. We were on the golden and next month we are doing that ship to Hawaii for 14 days. Yippee. Then the Caribbean on the ruby next march. have a great time on your TA.

Marilyn

For all of you who have had problems, anticipate ever having problems or just like to complain a lot I suggest you take a look at this article. Great advice from an expert. His advice not only is prudent when writing a cruise line but would go a long way to get you the anticipated sympathy when you post here on CC.

Outstanding article, thanks for posting the link. Wish they could also come out with an article that would shame those who complain just to get a discount on their next cruise.....

Bob

The part of the article I really think everyone should pay close attention to is the section that says (in part) Include a record of each attempt to remedy the situation, along with the names and positions of those you have dealt with,........................

It seems so many come back with complaints they did not try to report or rectify onboard. These are the ones that I take offense to. Some seem like they are saving up everything just to come back and gripe about them, when there are lots of ways to take care of problems onboard, especially smaller ones that tend to build up as they happen.

If you don't try to resolve the problem onboard, why not? There are tons of great staff onboard willing to assist. That is unless you go in with your 'big game guns' trying to bully someone into doing something they have no control over. Niceness counts when voicing a complaint, and there are good ways and not so good ways to report something onboard you need changed, repaired, or assistance with. IMHO of coarse!

The part of the article I really think everyone should pay close attention to is the section that says (in part) Include a record of each attempt to remedy the situation, along with the names and positions of those you have dealt with,........................

It seems so many come back with complaints they did not try to report or rectify onboard. These are the ones that I take offense to. Some seem like they are saving up everything just to come back and gripe about them, when there are lots of ways to take care of problems onboard, especially smaller ones that tend to build up as they happen.

If you don't try to resolve the problem onboard, why not? There are tons of great staff onboard willing to assist. That is unless you go in with your 'big game guns' trying to bully someone into doing something they have no control over. Niceness counts when voicing a complaint, and there are good ways and not so good ways to report something onboard you need changed, repaired, or assistance with. IMHO of coarse!

Toto I agree totally with your statement. On previous cruises we have had a minor problem which we took care while on the ship and by the way to our satisfaction. I think sometimes we forget that a cruise is not 100% perfect. There will always be some minor problems(sometimes they are major) but deal with them while on board as best as you can.

Marilyn

Larsen, this was a great article.

We recently had the opportunity to contact Princess Global Fine Arts about a problem with a painting. My original draft was a full two pages, which my wife looked at and said "too many words". Like the article said, I had tried to explain everything rather than giving a simple statement of the problem and what we were concerned about. The final letter was a one page document, including references, contact information and a brief statement. This we sent to the Manager of Customer Services.

She responded quickly (she was on vacation when the letter arrived by fax), discussed the problem fully and has reiterated "most importantly, ... I am committed to a satisfactory resolution for you." She has presented us with several alternatives for resolving the problem.

I didn't need all the extra stuff I had in my original draft. And Princess has responded admirably and in a timely fashion.

(note: I will not discuss the nature of the issue on this forum)

It's also good advice for those posting on this board asking for help. When people complain about everything or post in all capitals and huge fonts, it sets a bad tone and is hard to read. A five-page single spaced letter probably had the same effect on RCI management. If nothing else, that elderly passenger got the obligatory $250 even if RCI didn't agree with her. If it gets her back on the ship, they'll make that money up pretty quickly.

This article is excellent with very good advice. How many times have new posters been burned when they come on CC and say how awful the food is, how bad their service was, etc. without any specifics, who they talked to on the ship to try to address their issues, and what was the response/result.

The best advice I've been given in the past is to be:

CLEAR

CONCISE

COMPLETE

Oh, and non-confrontational.

This article is excellent with very good advice. How many times have new posters been burned when they come on CC and say how awful the food is, how bad their service was, etc. without any specifics, who they talked to on the ship to try to address their issues, and what was the response/result.

The best advice I've been given in the past is to be:

CLEAR

CONCISE

COMPLETE

Oh, and non-confrontational.

Excellent advice Pam! The concise seems to be a particularly big challenge for some based on compaints I've seen here on CC.

Archived