Carnival Will Secede Title of Largest Ship

GregD

I think that's kind of a cool idea.

Depends on what you're into, I guess. I like a nice balance between ship and ports. I used to say the ship didn't matter as long as it goes where I want it to, but having been on a bad ship with bad weather, I have a new appreciation for the ship. That said, if I want to go to a trendy club, I can do that without paying for cruisefare, just like I can see a show or go ice skating or stay in a boutique hotel for a lot less.

Depends on what you're into, I guess. I like a nice balance between ship and ports. I used to say the ship didn't matter as long as it goes where I want it to, but having been on a bad ship with bad weather, I have a new appreciation for the ship. That said, if I want to go to a trendy club, I can do that without paying for cruisefare, just like I can see a show or go ice skating or stay in a boutique hotel for a lot less.

I guess it's cheaper than building new islands? :confused:

I think having the biggest ship is not such a great thing. Along with the size comes massive amounts of people, making the potential for traffic jams even greater.

Would someone get excited about living in the largest city in the world? That's probably somewhere in China. Not me - I don't even want to live in the largest city in the US.

There are some who would say the entertainment and other things are better in bigger cities. I tend to look at the crowds, instead.

I totally agree with you!:)

They will have lots of expensive sea days, that's for sure.

RCCL has announced Deficit of the Seas will not go to any ports without a dock (e.g. Grand Cayman).

Lots of sea days and Haiti and Jamaica as ports. Oh goodie!

We have Oasis booked and most of the people on our roll call are wondering if they'll get off the ship at all because there's so much to do on Oasis and most of us have been to the ports before.

For example there's

Studio B - the ice skating show

Aqua Theater - called "Oasis of Deams" its a water show

Comedy Live - speaks for itself

Opal Theater - "Hairspray", Headliner Show and "Come Fly with me" (a cirque-type show).----there are also "to be announced" shows scheduled.

BTW These shows are free and are running throughout the cruise. RCI is running some of these shows also during the day....so many people have no plans to get off the ship at all. If you want to fine, otherwise, if you've been to these ports before, you'll stay onboard!

I think Royal has a lot of experience handling crowds. Looking forward to sailing Oasis.

I think having the biggest ship is not such a great thing. Along with the size comes massive amounts of people, making the potential for traffic jams even greater.

Would someone get excited about living in the largest city in the world? That's probably somewhere in China. Not me - I don't even want to live in the largest city in the US.

There are some who would say the entertainment and other things are better in bigger cities. I tend to look at the crowds, instead.

I thought it was Mexico City at one point...maybe it still is

One has to wonder if RCI is going to experience what FORD did when they pushed the envelope to far with the Ford Excursion (which ceases production in late 2005)...... :confused:

It was to big to fit in a lot of home garages.....etc.

As a stockholder in Carnival I applaude the decision to stop at the Dream in size. I don't want to get LOST on a ship. I want to get lost in the experience. When did less for your money become a good deal? I will not pay more for a cruise just because the ship is bigger. I want a better cruise for more money. But, that's just my opinion.

We have Oasis booked and most of the people on our roll call are wondering if they'll get off the ship at all because there's so much to do on Oasis and most of us have been to the ports before.

For example there's

Studio B - the ice skating show

Aqua Theater - called "Oasis of Deams" its a water show

Comedy Live - speaks for itself

Opal Theater - "Hairspray", Headliner Show and "Come Fly with me" (a cirque-type show).----there are also "to be announced" shows scheduled.

BTW These shows are free and are running throughout the cruise. RCI is running some of these shows also during the day....so many people have no plans to get off the ship at all. If you want to fine, otherwise, if you've been to these ports before, you'll stay onboard!

I think Royal has a lot of experience handling crowds. Looking forward to sailing Oasis.

Don't forget Central Park, complete with

pigeon.jpg

My wife and I have only sailed on Carnival and have been more than happy with them. Our upcoming cruise on the Miracle will be the first time sailing on a ship smaller than 100,000 ton. We are sure we will have just as much fun as on the bigger ships. We will continue to sail with Carnival and would truly rather them not get into a big ship build off. Carnival needs to stay the way they are and just be the "Fun Ships".

You may, in fact......end up preferring that size ship. To us, it's close to perfect. Have done Legend twice as well as Pride. Freedom was nice, but somehow not quite as comfortable to us.

Next trial for us is Dream in March......which we're trying just out of curiosity !

I cannot fathom, just how long will the line be to reboard the Oasis? Sometimes gigantic is not real great? I want to stick to less than 2500 pax. for more pleasure. With the prices they are asking, I guess we don't have to worry about it much. Please send in your reviews and let all of us know how it spins out. JY.

Or another way to look at it is if it causes RCCL to go under, he can buy the largest ship for a fraction of what it would cost to build one.

Dave

Why buy it? From reading the posts, none of the Carnival cruisers want to cruise on a behemoth of a monstrosity. But then again, if you DID sail on Oasis Dave, you would actually know first hand what it is like to sail on a RCI ship.

Why buy it? From reading the posts, none of the Carnival cruisers want to cruise on a behemoth of a monstrosity. But then again, if you DID sail on Oasis Dave, you would actually know first hand what it is like to sail on a RCI ship.

ROFLMAO!!!

I believe it would be different if it had "Carnival" slapped on the side;)

I cannot fathom, just how long will the line be to reboard the Oasis? Sometimes gigantic is not real great? I want to stick to less than 2500 pax. for more pleasure. With the prices they are asking, I guess we don't have to worry about it much. Please send in your reviews and let all of us know how it spins out. JY.

That leaves out most of the Carnival ships too these days, and retiring Holiday one less you could choose.

I cant understand why three threads on this, but I guess Carnival cheerleaders like to pat themselves on the back by pissing against the wind and railing about RCL.

btw Conquest just opened a 2nd line to get off the ship, instead of one line they usually have on smaller ships, one off and one on. Im sure Oasis folks are just as smart and can figure out how to get folks on and off the ship. They made a annoucement that we could get off fore or mid ship on Conquest (which is way over your 2500 pax).

Iv learned to never say never in my life and why limit yourself.

ROFLMAO!!!

I believe it would be different if it had "Carnival" slapped on the side;)

Actually no. My favorite size of ship is the Spirit class....not so much for size...but lay out.

I have sailed on all but 1 of the Conquest class ships and I don't like the layout of the Conquest class ships with the dead ends.

So... what's the big deal If I post something I wrote!

You've missed the point entirely. Your word choice was in correct. "Secede" and "cede" do not mean the same things. And I won't comment on the content of your blog, your writing styles, or grammatical issues because this board is about cruising and not writing, the English language, or neo-journalism in the digital age.

You've missed the point entirely. Your word choice was in correct. "Secede" and "cede" do not mean the same things. And I won't comment on the content of your blog, your writing styles, or grammatical issues because this board is about cruising and not writing, the English language, or neo-journalism in the digital age.

I think the only think you forgot to mention was the big red F

THANK YOU! Someone knows what these boards are about.

And regarding my word choice.. I can't believe how many people are grilling me about this. All it was was a "pun" about how countries separate from one-another. I was trying to go for a how Carnival is pulling away and considering to go different by possible building smaller. This kind of thing hasn't happened lately in the industry.

Guess that backfired!

THANK YOU! Someone knows what these boards are about.

And regarding my word choice.. I can't believe how many people are grilling me about this. All it was was a "pun" about how countries separate from one-another. I was trying to go for a how Carnival is pulling away and considering to go different by possible building smaller. This kind of thing hasn't happened lately in the industry.

Guess that backfired!

I think you're confusing people because "secede" and "title" are used so closely together (and "cede the title" is a phrase in common usage). Also, because there was/is no agreement between Carnival and other lines to build only to a certain size.

I think you're confusing people because "secede" and "title" are used so closely together (and "cede the title" is a phrase in common usage). Also, because there was/is no agreement between Carnival and other lines to build only to a certain size.

Thanks for clarifying. I never put that much thought into choosing a title for the posts. From now on I'll give it a double check.

Actually no. My favorite size of ship is the Spirit class....not so much for size...but lay out.

I have sailed on all but 1 of the Conquest class ships and I don't like the layout of the Conquest class ships with the dead ends.

EXACTOMUNDO ! ! Much prefer the SPIRIT class ships to any other Carnival ship. And I've sailed on all but 1 of the SPIRIT class ships. Conquest class twice and only because it was my cabin mates choice (her favorite):rolleyes:.

Recently off the SPLENDOR and the layout is very similar to the Conquest class, unfortunately.

The real test of RCI's megaships is whether or not the cruisers will return to her. Many of RCI's pax won't mind paying almost double to cruise this monstrosity once for the novelty of it, if nothing else.

But if they don't return again and again, this build decision will bite RCI in the A$$. Their financial situation isn't all that good right now, anyway, and there is NO ROOM for mistakes these days.

Everyone knows when RCL made this decision the economy seemed fine, now it isnt. Sure their timing was terrible, but sometimes you have to make the best of things.

As far as Carnival NEVER building biggers ships .... never is a long time. I know how small the ship was for Carnival I was on in the 1980s... like I said NEVER is a long time.

Archived