Carnival Will Secede Title of Largest Ship

GregD

Micky Arison is not interested in building anything but cruise ships. If he wanted to build shopping malls or amusement parks, he'd do it.

Carnival Corp builds ships....for the seas and oceans of the world....

actually, not to interesting for the fact that it is concurrent with their business model...

'bigger', when taken to the extreme, is not always better...

especially when 'bigger' can only fit in a few, very less than 'exotic' ports...

'bigger' is not versatile, and carnival likes to maintain that flexibility. so no big surprises there.

and yeah, there were a few threads about this earlier ;)

I think having the biggest ship is not such a great thing. Along with the size comes massive amounts of people, making the potential for traffic jams even greater.

Would someone get excited about living in the largest city in the world? That's probably somewhere in China. Not me - I don't even want to live in the largest city in the US.

There are some who would say the entertainment and other things are better in bigger cities. I tend to look at the crowds, instead.

I think having the biggest ship is not such a great thing. Along with the size comes massive amounts of people, making the potential for traffic jams even greater.

Would someone get excited about living in the largest city in the world? That's probably somewhere in China. Not me - I don't even want to live in the largest city in the US.

There are some who would say the entertainment and other things are better in bigger cities. I tend to look at the crowds, instead.

Totally agree with you. While the new giants setting sail are impressive, I'm really wondering about lines for food, activities, etc. on them. Of course given the right opportunity & price, I'd have to check them out ;)

Carnival chooses to make a profit. RCCL will be extremely lucky if Deficit of the Seas doesn't sink the company.

For years Uncle Mickey has said it is the wrong ship at the wrong time, and there may never be a right time for such an abomination. There really is nothing new in that news on either thread.

My wife and I have only sailed on Carnival and have been more than happy with them. Our upcoming cruise on the Miracle will be the first time sailing on a ship smaller than 100,000 ton. We are sure we will have just as much fun as on the bigger ships. We will continue to sail with Carnival and would truly rather them not get into a big ship build off. Carnival needs to stay the way they are and just be the "Fun Ships".

The largest ship I've been on so far is the carnival pride. But I would love to see what the Oasis is like and take a cruise on it. It is limited due to size which ports it can stop at, but I haven't been on so many cruises that this should be an issue for me.

I really hope it doesn't put RCCL under. I see competition as a good thing, gives the cruise lines incentive to keep their product high quality and prices under control.

I'm glad they came out and said this. I was afraid for awhile that everyone would join the monster ship bandwagon and take away everything I love about cruising (a balcony that overlooks the ocean, for example). I can just imagine the panic attacks I would have with that many people on the Oasis, clogging up the walkways, hogging seats, waiting in long lines... not my idea of a relaxing vacation. Besides the amount of people onboard, it also disturbs me the amount of things that are not included in the price of the cruise, the lack of deckchairs for the amount of people they have onboard, the need for tickets to go see a show, etc etc. I could go on and on about all the things I'm skeptical about, but I think I will just wait for the reviews to come in.

Maybe, one day I will try the Oasis but only if I get an outrageous deal (like a loft suite for the price of an interior :D), they are able to take me to ports much more exotic than Nassau, and it's during a time that all the kiddies are in school & not on the ship!

I think it's the right direction, no doubt. I'm sure the Oasis of the Seas will be a magnificent vessel but it's severely limited. Consider that a new port had to be constructed to allow it to call in Jamaica and that port won't be available until December of next year rather than May, as originally expected.

You can forget many of the more exotic calls as the draft and sheer size of the vessel prohibits it from visiting those ports.

The Dream class is big enough for me, for that matter, the Conquest class is big enough for me!!

:)

I still reserve my opinion until after the Monolith sets sail, but while on vacation, I HATE crowds. I was pleasantly surprised sailing the RCCL Voyager class, as there was SO MUCH diversity, it was EXTREMELY rare that I even found one.

However, something this HUGE makes me wonder why it's sailing at all. It seems a destination unto itself. But I'm sure those in the know have made provisions for crowd control.

I don't think Carnival Cruise Lines has had the title of the biggest since the Destiny. The Corporation had it shortly with the QM2?

And unless they make a bigger version and layout of the Spirit class, I'm quite happy with that. The BIG Carnival ships are TOO crowded for me.

I look forward to sailing "Deficit of the Seas" one day. It looks like a lot of fun. When vacationing on land I prefer huge resorts with multiple pools and sprawling tropical open space, rather than smaller hotels with one rectangular pool in the back. I have that in my own back yard.

What is so bad about having "A Mall on board"? Oh the horror, shops and restaurants on a ship, I know crazy right. And that whole idea of a park on a ship. Who thought it would be a good idea to have a shady outdoor space on a ship. What a bone head. Plus the fact that it created more rooms with balconies. Who needs 'em.

To be serious, I actually had more fun ice skating on my last cruise than I did playing bingo.

I guess old habits die a slow death. I'm sure some people are still driving cars that run on leaded gasoline. More choices is a good thing IMO.:D

Our family has only sailed RC in the past, and were excited to try something new, but I can't seem to get excited about Oasis. I'm really interested to hear reviews and see pictures. I can't say we'll never sail on her, but like another poster here mentioned, it would have to be an incredible deal. We really like feeling like we're on a ship. I think they've (RC) has done a good job with their Voyager class ships; never really felt crowded. My husband and I like to walk around the lido deck in the morning and sit out at the front of the ship, and most days we've always been the only ones out there.

We're really excited about Dream; and it's a win/win for us with the Cove balconies. Love being close to the water, and the price was great. I'm anxious to see pictures and reviews!

I'm also going on a girl's cruise the first week in March on Destiny. Excited to hear anything about her too!

Don't think it is much of a surprise, especially under the Carnival label. While I very much look forward to our sailing on the Dream next year, I hope that after the magic, their next builds (whenever that might be) will be smaller ships along the Spirit class (as they have built for Costa).

Don't think it is much of a surprise, especially under the Carnival label. While I very much look forward to our sailing on the Dream next year, I hope that after the magic, their next builds (whenever that might be) will be smaller ships along the Spirit class (as they have built for Costa).

I see you've been on Destiny. How did you like it? I agree about the smaller ships. After Dream, our goal is to try something smaller; probably with Carnival or maybe a RC Radiance class.

I see you've been on Destiny. How did you like it? I agree about the smaller ships. After Dream, our goal is to try something smaller; probably with Carnival or maybe a RC Radiance class.

Been on the Destiny twice. By far (at least I think so anyway) it the largest ship doing less than 7 day cruises. The upside of that is the number of balconies she has over other offerings (we love balconies). I like the itin she sails as well, and depending on when you are going is a great deal! We love the lines of the ship, I would recommend her to anybody. Try the Spirit class as well. It is my favorite class of ship. New enough to have some very nice features and small enough to not have to get lost in a crowd. We have been on the Spirit and Pride twice each. I think you would this class of ship the fav of many people here.

RCL has taken a wrong direction with their management and decisions.

Having sailed 2 times last year with RCL, bigger is not better. Princess does a much better job of making you feel pampered and being on a relaxing vacation without having to stand on line to get tickets for the ice shows, rushing from one venue to another to get a seat, etc. Boarding and disembarking were a nightmare and that is on a much smaller ship. People were sitting on the floor, any piece of furniture, etc. With Princess everyone was assigned to a restaurant or lounge to wait for their turn to leave the ship. It was organized and painless.

RCL anticipates to bring in more revenue by having more things you have to pay extra for on board. I live in NY so if I want to go to an amusement park , I will not book a cruise to do it. Already, RCL has more sea days and less ports on their sailings without the OAS being limited to fit in certain ports. With more sea days you expect more activities -- nope! Just more bingo. RCL wants more on-board revenue and they are doing it by stopping at less ports than the other lines. So the OAS fits nicely into their plan. They already charge more than the other lines do and have cut back tremendously on what you get for the money.

Very, very glad Carnival has chosen not to follow in RCL's wake! :D

MARAPRINCE

It (Oasis) certainly has gotten its share of the spotlight, I guess that is part of what they were/are going after. I always thought it was more of innovation that brings people to new ships (other than the "new" thing that will always attract some people), not behemoth size. I understand that these two are tied to together to some degree.

I agree Oasis Will be a novelty and most probably a FUN one .However having travelled on FREEDOM OTS when it first came out .I would say great until you need to tender ...NOT SO GREAT ...ENDLESS line

I hope to go on it some day or its sister ship ALLURE but NOT at double everyone else A balcony is EXACTLY double a new ship on most companies right now ...to go to same places...I DON"T THINK SO>>>>>

If prices become more reasonable count me in ...until then I will cruise with Carnival and others

Wise move on their part I think. I like the Explorer class ships but I think that's the largest I'd want to go. I really do prefer the smaller ship. It just seems the staff seems more detail oriented. Plus for me, its more about where the ship is going in truth. RCI will tell you the ship IS the destination. Not for me.

Been on the Destiny twice. By far (at least I think so anyway) it the largest ship doing less than 7 day cruises. The upside of that is the number of balconies she has over other offerings (we love balconies). I like the itin she sails as well, and depending on when you are going is a great deal! We love the lines of the ship, I would recommend her to anybody. Try the Spirit class as well. It is my favorite class of ship. New enough to have some very nice features and small enough to not have to get lost in a crowd. We have been on the Spirit and Pride twice each. I think you would this class of ship the fav of many people here.

We're sailing March 4, and got a nice deal, and I even went with a balcony. Key West, Cozumel and a sea day. 4 nighter, and I'm excited, because I've never been to the Keys. Also excited to be getting out of Chicago the first week of March!

I agree Oasis Will be a novelty and most probably a FUN one .However having travelled on FREEDOM OTS when it first came out .I would say great until you need to tender ...NOT SO GREAT ...ENDLESS line

I hope to go on it some day or its sister ship ALLURE but NOT at double everyone else A balcony is EXACTLY double a new ship on most companies right now ...to go to same places...I DON"T THINK SO>>>>>

If prices become more reasonable count me in ...until then I will cruise with Carnival and others

Oasis will never tender.

We booked whenever Crown and Anchor members were allowed (last August/September). Prices were a little high, but nowhere near what they are now. Had our choice of cabins.

Archived