Equinox Cruise Director - Gary Walker

caribbeankid92

Nick Weir was the cruise director on the Constellation in February of 2008. I did not like him at all. He was unfriendly and full of himself. Gary Walker was far more approachable and friendly. Derek Hebreken (sp?) was also a cruise director that we found to be friendly. He would always stop and say hello to people on his way around the ship.

Shelley

was super! I'm not into the CD role...as a rule...but he responded to our CC meeting and was present and helpful..and then again, when I had a situation where I wanted his in-put he was right there with his ideas/ suggestions etc. LUAnn

I met Gary in November and I thought he was very nice.:)

Actually, he boarded the ship on our sailing (I think). It was the short

4 nighter right after the ship docked in FLL from her TA.

Lois, he actually boarded the cruise previous and took over on the Equinox Transatlantic. I thought he was very good as a CD. Approachable and friendly whenever I saw him around the ship.

Lois, hope you are keeping warm in Jax. It's cold here too!

Phil

Hi Phil:)oh that is correct! He was on board then....as for the weather?

PLUUEEZEE:eek:.......every night for the past 6 down in the 20s.....high

in the 40s...today was a high of 50something which was the warmest in a week and now? Its droppinggggggggggg again. They are saying the high

will be 42 tomorrow with rain and on Saturday even worse...chances of sleet and snow flurries:eek::rolleyes:

Just my opinion, but Nick Weir is an entertainer first and foremost, and sometimes does cruise director duties.

OTOH, Gary is a cruise director the way they ought to be, constantly visible, personable, and interested in your welfare. He's been our cruise director twice, and we'd be happy if he were always ours (though we've had some other very good ones as well).

Bruce

We've sailed with Gary several times. On the Equinox he took over from Nick Wier-(an entertainer 1st then CD). He recognized us (w/o us noticing him) several days before the first part of our b2b ended and he took over for Nick. As his first show ended he was at his usual station near the exit and gave Barbara and me big hellos. Everytime thereafter we engaged him in conversation and we were delighted to see him again on our December cruise. He usually lunches at the cafe and doesn't seem to mind passengers 'pestering' him.

We make it a point to try to get friendly with the crew (so looking forward to Eclipse when many of the Equinoix crew will be sailing) and Gary rates amoung the best. Nick will be CD on that sailing along with brother Simon who was also a great CD, an even better Hotel Directer and we anticipate him going much further in the RCL heirarchy.

Lois, the Ft. Myers News Pravda reported that this has been Florida's longest cold spell since the 1880's

Jack, I believe it too:eek:.....part of the state (near Ocala)got flurries...

As you may see from the following, Gary's been promoted, and he's happy to share the news. My disappointment is not having the chance to interact with him in the future.

Bruce

<<Hi Bruce and Gail!

I am so pleased to hear from you. Happy New Year.

Timing is everything, so they say and I believe so.

Thanks for passing along the thread. Some very kind words there indeed.

So good to hear them.

I want to give you some news, literally hot off the press which you may want to share with others.

I have just been offered a position in the Miami office as Manager of Entertainment.

I gladly accepted, as this is a wonderful opportunity for me to use my knowledge and experience to its fullest and be a part of the amazing entertainment team shoreside and be a part of the bigger picture as Celebrity grows and strenghens its entertainment offerrings.

This is great for me and Wendy. I leave Equinox on the 15th of this month and start immediately.

I will surely miss the personal contact with the guests and having the instant gratification of seeing and hearing how the guests react to what we do, but I am also very excited to be able to oversee much of what we do for the entire fleet.

Keep in touch and if you feel so inclined, feel free to let the CC members know of my wonderful opportunity!

Hope the winter is treating you well and you are looking forward to your next cruise!

Bye for now,

Gary >>

Great news for Gary, so sad not to be seeing him on our cruise on 25th January. I do hope that cruise (and its previous cruise) is not given a "stand in practising at being a Cruise Director" but is given one of the regular team of CDs

Archived