What to do with your winter coat...

Eurodam-Noob-Couple

So, we're sailing next week on the Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale. We're escaping sub-freezing temperatures of central Pennsylvania and really looking forward to ditching our winter coats for a week.... but what does one do with the winter coat while on the trip? Do you leave it in the car at the airport? Do you take it with you and shove it in your luggage? (What a waste of luggage space!) Do you have a dedicated family member bring it to the airport when they come to pick you up?

What's worked for some of you cruise veterans?

I grew up in MN, but now live in AZ so I no longer have to deal with the cold! However, I did many trips to warm climates to escape the MN winters. We would typically get dropped off at the airport, so we would leave our coats with the person dropping us off. When they picked us up, they would just pull up curbside and we were able to just climb into a warm car with our coats waiting. If you're leaving your car at the airport, I would just leave them in the car. You might be cold for a bit waiting for the car to warm up, but you'll survive. I agree that it is a pain to drag your winter coat along with you, especially with the restrictions on baggage these days.

If someone is dropping you off and picking you up, you could ask them to hold it. If you park at the airport, then you have a choice of leaving it in the car and hoping you can make it from the car to the terminal or bringing it.

Usually, we get dropped off and picked up at the airport, so I just leave it with them. Otherwise, it would probably depend on how far the parking was from the airport. Here, I don't remember which airport, but you have to wait a long time to get the shuttle from long term parking to the terminal, not sure I would make it without a coat. So in that case, I would probably wear my thinnest warm coat, probably have it on the plane, and stick it in the closet on the ship.

We take a cab to & from the airport, so can't leave anything behind with the driver. We don't wear our heavy outerwear, we just layer up, with a tee shirt, a long-sleeve shirt and a sweater (nylon windbreaker for hubby). It's warm enough in the cab for that, and we're not really outside for very long.

I'll wear one of my pashmina-type wraps as well. If it's really cold I'll wear my leather gloves, and stick 'em in my suitcase when we're inside the terminal.

It depends on how we're getting to/from the AP.

If we are having a friend or relative pick us up we leave the coats with them & they bring them back into the AP for us to put on.

Otherwise we just wear them & hang them in the closet on the cruise.

We always leave ours in our car at the airport. It has never been that long of a walk from the car to the terminal, and we just brave the weather. I also do not like dealing with that bulky coat while on the airplane. After the cruise, it isn't hard to get back TO our car without our heavy coats. We just put them on once we are in the car and hope the car warms up quickly!

my husband and i cruised for our honeymoon over 15 years ago and placed our winter gear in our luggage once we had took all our cruise wear out. when we repacked to go home we took the jackets back out to wear to our car.

I'd vote for leaving the heavy coats in the car. I'd put up with being cold for the short shuttle ride/walk into the airport to avoid dragging it onboard for the whole week.

Similar situation: We always drive to the port the day before embarkation, and we pack one big tote bag with a pair of PJs and an outfit to wear during boarding. We bring JUST that bag into the hotel for our pre-cruise stay, and then that bag stays in the car during the cruise -- no need to bring dirty clothes aboard.

So, we're sailing next week on the Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale. We're escaping sub-freezing temperatures of central Pennsylvania and really looking forward to ditching our winter coats for a week.... but what does one do with the winter coat while on the trip? Do you leave it in the car at the airport? Do you take it with you and shove it in your luggage? (What a waste of luggage space!) Do you have a dedicated family member bring it to the airport when they come to pick you up?

What's worked for some of you cruise veterans?

I bought a small parachute cloth duffle bag a few years ago as I travel south from PA every winter. When I get to the airport, I stuff all of the winter gear into it and check it through.... and it stays packed that way until I get back to my home airport. Of course, with luggage fees it will depend upon your airline. Next month I will still take the bag, but am only doing carry on with my luggage, so will need to carry the coat around with me until I get to Fort Lauderdale airport, then pack it up there.

Whether we take a taxi, get a ride, or drive to the airport, we leave our winter gear at home and just run from the house to the car and the car to the airport, and the same when we come back. No, it's not the most pleasant, especially coming home, but for the few minutes we'll be outside, we feel it's not worth dragging heavy winter coats on the plane/ship.

We wear our winter coats on the (2 1/2 hr.) drive to the airport, park in long term parking, wear whatever light jacket we're taking anyway to get on the shuttle to the airport, and leave the heavy coats in the car.

Coming home, I get the luggage from the carousel while my husband rides the shuttle to get the car, both of us in our light jackets/sweaters/hoodies until we get in the car.

Archived