What is the "Secret Door"?

DRMizzou

On a couple of boards I have noticed mention of a "secret door" on cruise ships (as in -- make sure you find the secret door). I am not a first-timer; but somehow I have missed what ever this is. Unless it's an urban (or seafaring) legend. Can someone enlighten me? If such a thing exists, does anyone know where the "secret door" is on the Sapphire?

This is supposedly a door that leads to an upper non-authorized deck. It is rumored that you can sun bathe without wearing various swim suit parts. ;)

I have never found this "secret" door, but then again I never looked for it.

I have heard others talking about it, on almost every cruise I have been on. Have fun looking for it.

The "secret" doors are on the Island/Coral and earlier Sun-class ships. If you go forward on Baja and Caribe decks, you'll reach a door that will let you out onto the forward balconies under the bridge.

The "secret door" most people refer to is the door to the deck area above the bridge. If you go all the way forward on the Lido deck, you'll find a door. It's unmarked ("secret") and not many people know about it. Go outside and you'll have a great view of the bow. Be careful, it's super windy out there when the ship is under way!!

I'm not sure if this door is on the Sapphire (it doesn't look like it from the deck plan), maybe someone on here can tell you for sure.

We found it on our Panama Canal cruise. At some ungodly hour of the morning when we due to enter the Canal we hear this bang, bang as the door was opening and shutting, we were in the second cabin back from the door, so we decided that we should get up and check what was happening. The area was packed. Apparently the cabin Stewarts tell the people without balconies to go there. Not very secret :)

The "secret door" most people refer to is the door to the deck area above the bridge. If you go all the way forward on the Lido deck, you'll find a door. It's unmarked ("secret") and not many people know about it. Go outside and you'll have a great view of the bow. Be careful, it's super windy out there when the ship is under way!!

I'm not sure if this door is on the Sapphire (it doesn't look like it from the deck plan), maybe someone on here can tell you for sure.

The doors that you mention are on the Caribbean/Crown/Emerald/Ruby ships. To get to the bridge wings on any of the earlier Grand-class ships, just go forward on the Sun deck and you'll be on the bridge wing.

The doors that you mention are on the Caribbean/Crown/Emerald/Ruby ships. To get to the bridge wings on any of the earlier Grand-class ships, just go forward on the Sun deck and you'll be on the bridge wing.

It''s the LIDO deck on those ships.

It''s the LIDO deck on those ships.

To get to the bridge wings, it's the Lido deck on Caribbean/Crown/Emerald/Ruby. It's the Sun deck on Grand/Golden/Star/Diamond/Sapphire...

Is there one on the Diamond?

Thanks!!!

No secret door on the Grand/Golden/Star/Diamond/Sapphire... although I've heard there's a door from Emerald deck onto the upper Promenade Deck on all the Grand-class ships...

"Secret Door" is a general term that refers to the doors that lead to the front outside areas in cabin decks. In many ships, the bow-facing cabins have windows that open up to an outside public area. As this is not usually marked on many deck plans, the doors are called "secret doors".

We used one of these doors when we left New York on the Carnival Victory. The upper public decks were packed, but only a few people were in the "secret" area. It was fun passing under the Verrazano Narrows bridge without being completely packed in by other passengers.

The "secret" doors are on the Island/Coral and earlier Sun-class ships. If you go forward on Baja and Caribe decks, you'll reach a door that will let you out onto the forward balconies under the bridge.

We had a room on the Caribe and went forward through the "secret door" several times on the Island. When we went through the Panama Canal SEVERAL passengers went through the "secret door" for the view of going through the canal. Before that, we were the only ones up there and it is a beautiful view. Especially at night, when you can lay on the deck and look at the stars on darkness.:)

We were in an inside cabin near the bow on the Sun Princess. There were two sets of doors on both sides that opened onto an outside deck. It was a very quiet place, perfect for an evening cocktail.

There were staff cabins in the small corridor between the passenger cabin corridors and the door to the outside deck area. Small signs said that access was allowed only during certain hours, but we always tried to be quiet and considerate in case crew members were trying to rest.

We found it on our Panama Canal cruise. At some ungodly hour of the morning when we due to enter the Canal we hear this bang, bang as the door was opening and shutting, we were in the second cabin back from the door, so we decided that we should get up and check what was happening. The area was packed. Apparently the cabin Stewarts tell the people without balconies to go there. Not very secret :)

You know, those darn Stewarts need to keep our little secret.:)

We were in an inside cabin near the bow on the Sun Princess. There were two sets of doors on both sides that opened onto an outside deck. It was a very quiet place, perfect for an evening cocktail.

There were staff cabins in the small corridor between the passenger cabin corridors and the door to the outside deck area. Small signs said that access was allowed only during certain hours, but we always tried to be quiet and considerate in case crew members were trying to rest.

Its a shame that during our cruise on the Sun Princess some crew members did not reciprocate Geoherb's consideration. They would let "Crew only" access doors slam shut at every opportunity, day and night, and just acted dumb when polite concerns were raised.

We found the secret door but didn't let it slam shut.

Archived