"LIVE" From the Oasis of the Seas / March 6, 2010

When we go on the Oasis we will be Diamond members but our other family members are Diamond +. Will they be able to come into the Diamond Lounge (or vice-versa - us to the Concierge Lounge) so we can all be together in the evening?

Really enjoying your posts and pictures!!

Hello everyone ! I am very happy to bring you another “LIVE” Report from the the Oasis of the Seas.

I arrived in Fort Lauderdale this afternoon, and will be staying 2 nights at the Hyatt Pier 66 before I board the Oasis of the Seas on Saturday morning. The weather was a little warmer today (68F), than it was when I left Maryland yesterday (29F).

For those of you who are new to Cruise Critic. . . This will be more than a Cruise Ship review. Many of you who are aware of my “LIVE” reports know that I will be posting daily comments and reports on the Oasis of the Seas, with daily photos of the public areas, lounges, and hopefully all of the Entertainment, Sports, and Dining areas of the ship.

There will also be comments and photos of the ports of call during the week. I am hoping that my Internet connection will be reliable, as I will require a stable connection to post photos throughout the week.

The ship appears to be nearly full, so I am hoping to find out the exact number of passengers that will be aboard.

Oasis of the Seas will sail the Eastern Caribbean itinerary, visiting the ports of Saint Thomas, Saint Maarten, and Nassau.

This should be a fun week on Oasis of the Seas. . .So sit back. . Have a cup of Coffee, and Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

;);)

Oasis of the Seas

OAS9.jpg

© 2009 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Our Itinerary this week

OAS4.jpg

© 2009 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

[Hello...We cruised Oasis last week and yes they allowed us gold members to join our diamond friends. ALL the shows were great. Little known fact...when Oasis leaves every port there is a bagpiper on deck. Also it was hysterical when we were in St. Martin there is a ship Aida Avita that is docked next to Oasis and their top deck is NAKED. We were on the top deck....at 16 and 17 we towered over them. Needless to say as fellow cruisers passed by and did a double take we were laughing hysterically. They really did not seem to mind. You will sleep well the beds are amazing ! Really miss the beef sandwiches at the Park Cafe. DONT buy anything till about Thursday . All the Oasis t shirts go on sale then. Never felt crowded at all Elevators quickly came. Go see the two Hazels at the MDR they will get you good tables. IF you are lucky Richard Spacey is still on board. The BEST cruise director out there. ABSOLUTELY HYSTERICAL all week long. Dnt miss the love and marriage Thursday night or the belly flop competition. The 12th CRuise out rocked !! Hope yours is as good as ours. ENJOY the ship she is amazing..........

We were on the 12th cruise out.We got off Oasis Saturday and NEVER a problem with crowds. There are so many venues to go to...it was amazing. You are in for a treat we slept like babies the beds are great. I have read on these boards complaints about the cabins but we thought we had plenty of room. Have fun the week flies...do it all ....WE DID....If you are lucky Richard Spacey the BEST cruise director is still on board. He makes the whole cruise !!

Just a couple more. . .

Your Intrepid Reporter, and 1st Officer Stewart

M20.JPG

I was very happy to sit in this chair ! ;)

M18.JPG

Radio

;);)

Fantastic pics Radio !!

And its great to put a Face to a Name ;) !!!

You look very comfortable in the Captain's seat !!!

I am loving your posts & pics - Thank You for sharing !!!

Enjoy !!!

Good morning from beautiful St Thomas ! We approached the harbor this morning at about 5AM. It was very cloudy, and a little foggy this morning as we entered the harbor.

We pulled into the pier by about 615AM, and were tied up by 645. The Captain cleared all passengers by 715AM. It looks like it will be a beautiful sunny day here in the Virgin Islands. We are here until 6PM today.

We don’t have any plans today. We might take a cab to a local beach, or we might rent a car. We love to rent scooters, but we just aren’t sure what the day will bring.

I know we will go shopping (Mrs. Radio would like a new watch). The Crown Bay area does not have as many shops as the Havensight Mall Pier does, but there are crowds of passengers (1000’s) waiting to do some shopping today.

I was able to get a very nice wireless package from a local WiFi supplier here. The cost for 4 hours is only 9.99 (.04/min). . .Nice. . .

Here are a few pics from this morning. . . More pics when we return.

Radio

Approaching Saint Thomas, USVI

T.JPG

By the time we entered the Port at Crown Bay. . .it was packed up here.

T2.JPG

These buildings are used just for Oasis, to relieve the Security concerns for passengers re boarding the ship.

T3.JPG

The SeaDream II (SeaDream Yacht Club) is sharing the pier with us.

T4.JPG

We are about to get tied up. . .

T6.JPG

We made it. It looks like another sunny day ! Welcome to St. Thomas

T7.JPG

Hey Dad! Great shots so far! The Oasis is sooooo awesome! I love the middle of the ship w/the Central Park area. You looked like a natural in the Capt's chair :)

It seems like it's full of every fun activity I could think of: musicals, ziplining, boogie boarding! I really like how the solarium is high up and not near the regular pools. That way you don't get a lot of ppl passing through. Have fun in St. Thomas! (p.s. I think your grandbaby wants a St. Thomas onesie-he told me so this morning.)

Hey Dad! Great shots so far! The Oasis is sooooo awesome! I love the middle of the ship w/the Central Park area. You looked like a natural in the Capt's chair :)

It seems like it's full of every fun activity I could think of: musicals, ziplining, boogie boarding! I really like how the solarium is high up and not near the regular pools. That way you don't get a lot of ppl passing through. Have fun in St. Thomas! (p.s. I think your grandbaby wants a St. Thomas onesie-he told me so this morning.)

Good Morning! What an awesome Dad you have to take time from his cruise to take us along with him! Hope the baby grand gets that onsie!

twccruiser! Thanks for this link! I had been scouring the RCCL site for webcams from the ship and couldn't find any. This is great!

Muriel

I don't want to hijack this thread, but thought some of you may enjoy this live webcam from Oasis:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/multimedia/webcam/ship.do?shipCode=OA

..although the Scuba lessons are a great experience I'm sure, the promise for $249 that you may scuba dive up to 40 feet as long as you are accompanied by a pro perplexes me in that:

...I have never paid for lessons or for any form of "certification", yet 4 times I have scuba dived up to 40 feet with a pro in Cozumel. Each time they had to repeat a 20 minute lesson as we were boating out to the reefs.

So, was this very well known tour company doing a no no? Or, are you paying 249 just so you don't have to hear the lesson each time..or is it a bit of a pretense??

Just wondering....

Mitch

Sounds like you did the Discover Scuba in Cozumel. The certification will allow you to dive unsupervised, not alone, and without it you are unable to rent equipment and tanks.

LOL Actualy, my boss teasses me about supporting my cruise habit.

:D He (she?) is such an enabler.

Radio, thank you so much for taking the time to do a live report. I'm sailing on the Mercury in a few weeks and I loved your report. I've been going back and forth on whether or not I'd like to sail on Oasis. After just a few days "with" you, I think I may have fallen on the "yeah let's go" side. :)

Originally Posted by K1200S viewpost.gif

No it is not. Crew only!

That's disappointing. Probably the single worst thing I've heard said about Oasis.

I agree. The bow is such a beautiful place to be day or night. Especially when there is a good strong headwind.

Put me off Oasis. Maybe we are moving too far towards floating malls.

Radio, thank you so much for spending so much time informing us about this wonderful ship. My mother and I are travelling from Ireland in October to sail her and we just cant wait - really looking forward to seeing your full review and pics when you disembark - enjoy whats left and thanks again

Radio -

Enjoy your cruise on the Oasis today which I'm sure you will.

I can't wait to enjoy your journey with you this week. I'm getting chemo tues - thursday so thank you becausey you will be helping me get through those ugly three days ready your live blogs. I'm addicted to cruising and cancer has stopped me for awhile cruising so this is the fix I need. I just pray I'm able to go in April in between treatments.

I get chemo every other week for 3 days. So I'm trying to go for a week in between

treatments. I lost 47 lbs. so I'm ready for a bathsuit. LOL

I truly hope you and your wife have a wonderful relaxing sunny warm fun cruise.

Thanks for keeping us entertained. Safe travels.

David from NJ

Hey David: Prayers are flying at you from us here in Genoa, NV!!

Radio, thanks so much for this wonderful review...I so appreciate the time you are taking to do this...I have sailed Oasis and I still can't get enough ....and your pictures are awesome...what kind of camera are you using?...

Your daughter's screen name is quite funny...

When we go on the Oasis we will be Diamond members but our other family members are Diamond +. Will they be able to come into the Diamond Lounge (or vice-versa - us to the Concierge Lounge) so we can all be together in the evening?

Really enjoying your posts and pictures!!

Diamond+ has full access to both lounges. You do not. You may only go into the Diamond lounge. You will be spending your together time in the diamond lounge. The concierge lounge is only for suite guests and diamond+.

Gina

Just wanted to say thanks Radio, especially for the photos of SeaDream 2. I hope that you don't mind that I have posted a link on the SeaDream board to your trip report as well as one of the photos since many of us are fascinated by the sheer size of the Oasis compared to SD!

Loving your trip report!!

Thanks!!

Radio...great shots! Wonderful report as usual!

Can't wait to cruise with you in May!

To the person who posted the webcam link...thanks!

I wish other ships had them....there's a bridge cam and promenade cam on Explorer...i wish those were available on line!

Enjoy your day in St Thomas.....looks like Crown Bay has some stuff to do, so if I'm ever there, I will know!

Your pix of Oasis almost make me want to give it a try......

Radio...great shots! Wonderful report as usual!

Can't wait to cruise with you in May!

To the person who posted the webcam link...thanks!

I wish other ships had them....there's a bridge cam and promenade cam on Explorer...i wish those were available on line!

Enjoy your day in St Thomas.....looks like Crown Bay has some stuff to do, so if I'm ever there, I will know!

Your pix of Oasis almost make me want to give it a try......

Thanks Meg. . . I sail on the Explorer on May 8. I really want to go back to Bermuda !

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived