Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?

sail7seas

Great thread! We love the formal nights. My oldest son wouldn't even want to think of cruising NCL, due to the lack of formal nights. From the time he was about 5 years old, he has loved to dress up. Same for me. DH and younger son can take it or leave it.

This just might end up as a sticky!

Paula

There are so many people who say they will eat in Lido rather than dress formal, that I wonder at what point, it's time to do away with formal nights - to go all 'elegant casual'.

Maybe it is mainly because of airline weight restrictions and people don't want to lug the formal clothing or maybe it is because formal is alien to their lives and they don't want to experience on vacation but it seems many folks say they don't wish to participate.

You want it to continue or not?

No, I do NOT want formal nights to continue! :)

I vote for all "Elegant", "Smart", "Country club" whatever you want to call it casual nights.

On that note , if it goes that route then you enforce it more ridgidly so it doesn't turn into shorts and t shirts and wife beaters and the like.

As others have said no one is stopping the formal lovers from wearing their formal clothes.

I thought I would never say this but, yes, I wish that HAL would do away with Formal nights and revert to Elegant Casual.

We just got back from an Azamara cruise and I can't express how great it was traveling with one 44 pound bag each (plus 16" roller and back-pack). Doing away with formal doesn't mean the venue has to be dressed down. The dining rooms can still be with white tablecloths and those who bring nicer cloths encouraged to wear them at the Captains Welcome Dinner and Farewell Dinner. Our last 3 cruises have now been on ships without formal night, including Swan Hellenic with A & K, SilverSeas PAII (their expedition ship has no formal nights) and Azamara Quest. On Azamara we were invited to the Best of Best Dinner in the Drawing room with harpist, Captain and other officers and all 20 total Suite and PH guests and it surely didn't change the elegance that no one had ballgowns or tux.

All stated no jeans or shorts in the dining room (well Swans Minerva never stated anything and many came to dinner with their parkas at the ready and ran outside when whales were spotted in Antarctica) and one pax on SilverSea came in t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops to dinner all nights...but other than that the dining venues were all very classic and elegant.

Most definately YES! Keep formal nights!

We live in Alaska...not very many opportunities to dress up fancy here unless you run with the political crowd. Besides...my hubby looks sooo sexy in his tux...anyone who has cruised with us and witnessed it can testify...he is hot! Its soo much fun for us!:D

Most definately YES! Keep formal nights!

We live in Alaska...not very many opportunities to dress up fancy here unless you run with the political crowd. Besides...my hubby looks sooo sexy in his tux...anyone who has cruised with us and witnessed it can testify...he is hot! Its soo much fun for us!:D

:eek:

Is this more info than we need? :D :)

As much as I think formal night is a silly anachronism that needs to be allowed to die out, I recognize other folks' enjoyment of it. It really doesn't matter to me one way or another, so long as I continue to have options to opt out.

A little outside of Sail's question, but I don't think I'd be so contrary about particpating in formal night(s) if I were able to dress the way I want every other night. Country club/resort casual is awfully dressed up to those of us who've never visited a resort or country club, and not the happy mid-range compromise many seem to think it is.

I love the formal nights and want to have them continue.

I also want the Dress Code fully enforced as it should be instead of the 'as long as it is not dirty or offensive' standards that seems to be the thing now.

Cruising is an experience to be enjoyed by those who can do so. When you cruise, you should be able to afford the clothing that goes with it. If you cannot afford the clothing then do a vacation via plane and or other transportation suchas car or bus.

DO NOT take away formal nights!!

Joanie

Here's another vote to KEEP formal nights. Were it not for our cruises every couple of years, there would be no reason to get dressed up at all. The photos from formal nights, whether taken by the ship's photographers or by friends, become cherished memories. At 63 and 67, we look pretty dam good all tarted up.

Mrs M

As much as I think formal night is a silly anachronism that needs to be allowed to die out, I recognize other folks' enjoyment of it. It really doesn't matter to me one way or another, so long as I continue to have options to opt out.

A little outside of Sail's question, but I don't think I'd be so contrary about particpating in formal night(s) if I were able to dress the way I want every other night. Country club/resort casual is awfully dressed up to those of us who've never visited a resort or country club, and not the happy mid-range compromise many seem to think it is.

You are permitted to wear clean, pressed jeans and a polo shirt/collared shirt on casual nights. Are you saying you think that is too dressed up for dinner in a formal dining room?

:eek:

Is this more info than we need? :D :)

*LOL*

In the next few months , my job will be expanding and i will be doing some police work (access to files and records and such) so we all had to be fingerprinted and had background checks as a formality.

The officer doing it (who I have known for years ) was explaining the form i needed to fill out and asked if I had any aliases.

I said "Well People Magazine had an issue a while back claiming I was "The Sexiest Man Alive", but I think that is more an honorary title than an alias" *LOL*

Officer Wise Guy says "You do know perjury is a felony" *LOL :)

For my family and me, formal nights are one of the most important aspects of the cruise! It's a shame that only 2 days out of 7 are formal; the perfect number would be 5 of 7, leaving embarkation day and the last day to be elegant casual. I am disappointed by the lack of formality found on ships these days (and elsewhere for the matter). Also important in my opinion, is remaining in formal attire from 6pm to Midnight. The idea of a formal night isn't to dress for dinner and then put on shorts to go to the show.

May the formal nights continue! (And may traditional late seating dining never be fully phased out) :)

100% AMEN!!

Joanie

*LOL*

In the next few months , my job will be expanding and i will be doing some police work (access to files and records and such) so we all had to be fingerprinted and had background checks as a formality.

The officer doing it (who I have known for years ) was explaining the form i needed to fill out and asked if I had any aliases.

I said "Well People Magazine had an issue a while back claiming I was "The Sexiest Man Alive", but I think that is more an honorary title than an alias" *LOL*

Officer Wise Guy says "You do know perjury is a felony" *LOL :)

LOL........ Good one, Babyher!!! Sounds like you have a great group you work with. How fortunate.

Let me guess......... Officer Wise Guy is about 55, has spread a bit around the wasteline and is "hairline challened". He's just jealous!!! :D

I'm a HAL "sheeple"... am I allowed to have an opinion? :D

If so, I enjoy formal evenings, but would be fine with fewer of them. Give me one night a week to get dressed and poofed to the best of my ability, and my mission is accomplished.

I wonder if more of the fifty + something year olds or the 20 - 30 something year olds are more in favor of formal nights.

I don't automatically assume the more senior are the biggest voters for formal. My guess it cuts about 50/50.

Noooo, I won't be asking anyone to post age grouping ! :o

There are so many people who say they will eat in Lido rather than dress formal, that I wonder at what point, it's time to do away with formal nights - to go all 'elegant casual'.

Maybe it is mainly because of airline weight restrictions and people don't want to lug the formal clothing or maybe it is because formal is alien to their lives and they don't want to experience on vacation but it seems many folks say they don't wish to participate.

I would like to continue with formal night's. I do not always go on formal night's to the DR but I feel that it is a tradition and a lot of HAL passenger's truly look forward to it. Everyone always looks so lovely and it's easy to see that this is what they like to do. Ever stroll into the Piano Bar after a formal night dinner and see all the passenger's? To me it looks like what I would imagine the "olden days" of cruising was like. As long as everyone has an option, I say keep the formal night's.

Absolutely keep formal nights, it is part of the ambiance of cruising. There is the lido or room service for those who do not want to participate.

Why should those who may not want to put on a tux or a gown be banished to the Lido or their cabin instead of having an enjoyable meal in the dining room. If I choose to participate in formal night and I was seated with someone in the dining room who choose to only wear dress pants and polo shirt I don't see how them being casual or me being formal as any impact on each others enjoyment of the evening.

We are both wearing what makes us feel most comfortable.

Just as all the cruise lines have introduced open seating for those who wish to dine whenever they like there is traditional seating for those who still enjoy a set table and time. In both options everyone still has an enjoyable meal in the dining room. I would love to see Formal Night become an option (at least start on shorter cruises) just as open and fixed seating is now an option.

I'm a vote for the formal nights!

I'm in the thirty something bracket and my only real disappointment on Eurodam, was the amount of people who were improperly dressed for formal night. We were disgusted, as we stood waiting for our table in the MDR in gown and tux, that there was a man (in his later years I might add),stood in shorts. He was not told to go!!!!:mad:

I for one feel it is an insult to those who adhere to the dress code, we had come along way from the UK to the caribbean and managed to take the appropriate clothing, so its no excuse for those who live closer than us that they could not pack such clothing.What wrong with making people stick to the lido if they dont want to take part. They have a choice with which line they cruise with, pick a more casual one if thats your thing.

I'm indifferent. I cruise on HAL for its itineraries not its dress code. For me, wearing a jacket isn't a hardship, so I will continue to pack mine regardless to what HAL's suggested dress code [eventually] evolves.

Scott.

My partner and I were on the RSVP charter of Eurodam last month and the formal night was optional. Those who dressed up enjoyed their formal dinner in the dining room and those who wanted a more casual dinner still enjoyed a wonderful meal in the dinning room instead of having to go to the Lido.

We were on the cruise too. Some of us were dressed in suits and tuxedos and others friends were dressed elegant casual. Somehow we self-selected when it got to getting tables (it is all open-seating on RSVP charters on HAL): those of us dressed formally ended up at one table and the rest at another next to us. :)

Yes, I want to keep formal nights. However, two on a two week cruise is the max IMO.

Archived