Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?

sail7seas

We were on the cruise too. Some of us were dressed in suits and tuxedos and others friends were dressed elegant casual. Somehow we self-selected when it got to getting tables (it is all open-seating on RSVP charters on HAL): those of us dressed formally ended up at one table and the rest at another next to us. :)

And everyone enjoyed their dinner dining in what made them comfortable!

You are permitted to wear clean, pressed jeans and a polo shirt/collared shirt on casual nights. Are you saying you think that is too dressed up for dinner in a formal dining room?

Sometimes, yes, I think that's too dressed up. I think there are times and places to dress up, but eating isn't necessarily one of them. But after my rookie mistakes, I've learned not to be argumentative about it...especially not with _you_, having been so kind answering all my Maasdam questions:)

I might be willing to go whole hog a night (maybe even two!) if I could wear jeans/shorts/capris, tanks/tees, sneakers/sandals the other nights. That's my dream. Neat and clean, of course. After all, we wear them during the day. I hear the argument that evening is somehow more worthy of dressing up than daytime, but just don't "get it" on some level. Now that I think about it, there are certain social connotations attached to eating as opposed to dining. It's pretty clear I'm of the Eating Class:D I'm happy to leave the dining to others. And believe me, I'm not looking down my nose at anybody.

Anyway, I'm still okay with whatever cruiselines want to do so long as I have options to opt out. I've liked the Lido/buffet setup on every cruise line I've sailed. I don't imagine HAL would be any different. Times like this I miss RiverBarge so much:(

I STRONGLY support keeping the formal nights. When I first started sailing with HAL, we had casual nights, Formal nights and informal nights. Now we have it down to casual and two formal nights on a 7day and 3 formal on a 10 day. I definately think we should keep the formal nights and if one goes down to one of the shows or shows up on those floors where the people gather, they should be dressed formally, even if they ate casual in the Lido.

Went on a Costa cruise recently and being a HAL guy I brought too much in the way of dress wear (ties and jackets) that nobody wore except on New Years. So - I just dressed up myself (I did drag them half way round the world) and got lots of compliments.

So - I like it but if they do away with it I will dress as I wish. And to me a cruise involves some dressing up. Never do it at home or work so why not. Listening to the band in the Ocean Bar with a martini just isn't the same in jeans.......and I am under 45.

We strongly support keeping formal nights.

Hal dress code has been reduced from 3 options to 2. Doing away with the formal nights in the dining room would mean that anything would do - I have seen smart casual interpreted as bathing costume!

I love the formal nights and want to have them continue.

I also want the Dress Code fully enforced as it should be instead of the 'as long as it is not dirty or offensive' standards that seems to be the thing now.

Cruising is an experience to be enjoyed by those who can do so. When you cruise, you should be able to afford the clothing that goes with it. If you cannot afford the clothing then do a vacation via plane and or other transportation suchas car or bus.

DO NOT take away formal nights!!

Joanie

For most people it is not about affording the clothes but a dislike of packing them and wearing them. My DH has 2 tuxes and I have more beaded things than I can count. We did the black-tie charity events for years and now that we are retired we don't enjoy formal dressing. Just too much effort for a vacation.

We more and more choose Seabourne, Regent, Oceania etc. that have gone resort casual.

On our last HAL I wore silk tops and DH a navy blazer with tie. It is not end of world but just seems unnecessary after a long day in port. It worked fine. We rarely eat in Lido for dinner- don't like buffets. What about making the Lindo formal only and the MDR resort casual.

I would be very unhappy if HAL took away all formal nights. There is something very special about getting dressed up for dinner on formal night. It's a cruising tradition, and let's face it, HAL is definitely a traditional cruise line. I don't want them to change their dress code.

I personally enjoy and look forward to formal nights, but understand why others may not want to participate. If the whole ship were to go to anytime dining, one level of the DR could be formal and other level dressy casual.

The lugguge thing really doesn't factor into the equation for me. I would need to pack an outfit or two for the nights that are now formal. The only extra things I pack for formal nights is some dressier jewelry and a pair of black pumps. My formal wear consists of things like a black stretch velvet skirt and knit sparkly top that are lightweight and pack easily without wrinkling.

Roz

While I do enjoy the country club casual all of the time on Oceania, that is part of their niche. HAL, as well as many others, have formal nights, and it is evident that a large number of people like them and look forward to them. There are lines you can choose if you think a formal night (which really only requires a tie and a jacket) is too much of an imposition.

To me, the "it's my cruise and I will do what I want" doesn't really wash. If you pick a cruise line that says there is a given dress code, then you have to abide by it. If you don't like the rules, then select another cruise line and have a good time HAL makes no secret of its dress code rules.

Though it would not bother me personally to see someone on a formal night in good slacks and a dress shirt, it does bother some people who have gone to the trouble of bringing appropriate clothing and dressing for a night they particularly enjoy. We are free to do what we want as long as it does not impose on someone else. And while I would not be bothered terribly by someone in good slacks and a dress shirt on formal night, I think it would bother me to be in a nice dining room and sit next to people in shorts and T-shirts for dinner. Most people would agree that a bathing suit and no shirt are inappropriate (note I said "most people" because there are those that see nothing wrong with it in a fancy dining room), so then most agree that it is all a matter of degree. Even if you have to wear a suit and tie every working day, wearing one two nights a week for a fancy dinner is simply not an imposition.

When we selected HAL, we knew what was expected, and it's really no big deal. If you don't like the dress code, and you don't like the Lido buffet on those nights, you simply chose the wrong ship.

Amen!!!

Jemima jr. and I loved the formal nights when we started cruising 8 years ago. We enjoyed changing from our day clothes to formal or smart casual (also informal back then) each evening. We ate in the MDR every evening and looked forward to that.

Eight years later we prefer the lido most nights and would prefer at most one formal night per cruise. Even then we might skip it. We also no longer enjoy changing for dinner each evening. We prefer to stay in our day clothes as long as they are neat, clean and appropriate for lido dinner.

Our reasons for cruising have never been "fine dining" or dressing up. We cruise because we enjoy the sea, the ship and the ports. We find that our fellow passengers on HAL cruises are generally a very nice group. The ship atmosphere is relaxing, polite, friendly, considerate. (Loud or super active wouldn't suit us. We've watched ads or documentaries with some other cruiselines and cringed .)

In my opinion it is time to do away with required Formal nights on HAL...On our last cruise HAL changed one of the formal nights to Formal-Optional...It seemed to work out well...Perhaps this is the answer...If not, then I can see most cruiselines becoming all casual in the not too distant future.

There are fewer and fewer opportunities to dress up. I don't understand why people object to it. Women look so glamorous and men look fabulous in tuxedos. Don't men realize how great they look?

My husband hates wearing a tie, but doesn't object to wearing his tuxedo.

I also don't understand why people want to change their clothes after dinner considering they have made the effort to get dressed up.

Keep Formal Nights but tweak the number of them for the longer cruises..

We enjoy Formal nights....However on longer cruises think one a week plus one formal optional per week would be better..

On our last long cruise, by the eighth Formal night, DH was weary of wearing his TUX, even though he changes accesories..I suggested he might want to wear his jacket with a tie & slacks (his Pinnacle outfit), however he opted for his tux..

Realize the Lido is an option but we enjoy the MDR for dinner..

We also enjoyed Oceania's smart casual but missed not having a couple of formal nights..

Cheers..:)Betty

Yes yes, people used to wear tuxedos on cruise ships. And suits on airplanes. And men took their baseball caps off when they came inside. ;)

So what? The norm also used to be black people at the back of the bus.

Not everything that once was, should still be.

Clothing nowadays simply is more casual, more varied, and more individual. Granted it's sometimes uglier than ever before too, but what can you do? Fight like hell against a changing world? Or stop sweating the small stuff and enjoy yourself?

Personally I'm done dressing up on a cruise ship but I have no problem with formal nights as long as I can eat somewhere else. If it reaches a point where I can't get a seat in the Lido on formal nights because two thirds of the ship is eating there, well, then it's time to do away with formal nights.

And I believe that time is coming. For HAL and all cruise lines.

I think formal optional is a disconnect.

We would cease dressing formal if they were to change over to such a designation.

It's neither here nor there and we would no longer bring tux and cocktail/long dresses. We'd feel foolish with such a hodge podge that is sure to result.

IMO, they have to make a statement as to what is expected. Either they designate a night to be casual or they call if formal, but be clear what it is IMO

My wife and I love to dress for dinner aboard ship. When I want cut-offs and tee-shirts I cruise NCL, but when I want elegance, I book HAL. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but if HAL did away with formal nights, what would separate the line from the mass market lines?

There are so many people who say they will eat in Lido rather than dress formal, that I wonder at what point, it's time to do away with formal nights - to go all 'elegant casual'.

Maybe it is mainly because of airline weight restrictions and people don't want to lug the formal clothing or maybe it is because formal is alien to their lives and they don't want to experience on vacation but it seems many folks say they don't wish to participate.

You want it to continue or not?

I want it to continue. It's what separates HAL from Carnival and the other casual lines. Now, on the other hand, my wife could do without it.

Dan

I vote to continue formal nights. When we first started cruising, DH wore a tux and I wore a gown. Now, he wears a dark suit and I wear something a bit less formal than a gown. It just feels special to be able to dress up once in a while.

My wife and I love to dress for dinner aboard ship. When I want cut-offs and tee-shirts I cruise NCL, but when I want elegance, I book HAL. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but if HAL did away with formal nights, what would separate the line from the mass market lines?

No one is suggesting "ultra casual" for a dress code. I personally think Oceania's dress code can't be beat. If you want to dress really elegant you are free to, but resort casual/country club casual is the norm and everyone looks very nice...and is comfortable with whatever they choose to dress in.

And as to what would set HAL apart? Everything they do, which is why I fell in love with them, and will continue to cruise with them!

I most certainly support the vote to keep formal nights.

Being a true Scotsman, it gives DH the chance to wear one of his beloved kilts.

In recent years I have tended to avoid heavily beaded outfits because of the weight but have never felt out of place in what I choose to wear. A few extra pieces of bling always helps!!

I vote for keeping the formal nights. We enjoy them, even on the world cruise, where by the 20th formal night you only have one formal thing left that fits.

Therein lies the problem for me - on a long cruise by the last formal night, I'm itching to wear my bathrobe as it's the only thing I feel comfortable in. :D and I'd love to wear a baseball cap as I've truly fallen out with the novelty of preening my hair! :rolleyes:

I remember on our christmas cruise, we had about 6 formal nights in 14 days and it was wearing at the end, as noted before, one or two formal nights a week is my max.

Archived