Helpful things to bring on board

sarahc78

Before I go, I print address labels to attach to postcards I'm sending and bring them instead of worrying about an address book. And a couple of extra things I add to my first aid kit - cough syrup/drops and an allergy medication like benadryl in case of a reaction to something

Edited by Jill SC

All the list are GREAT and you can tailor them for your individual likes/needs. Two years (first 12 day cruise) my husband was going to lock me up as a "crazy" when we first unpacked and he saw all the "junk" I brought - until he used the ducktape for something and found the bungee cord was convenient! And I've long traveled with postcard labels

Since then (February Mardi Gras Cruise) I've added ~ pack of FunTac to easily attach CC Door Sign or decoration to the door (on big ships it makes finding "home" easy!!). Also helps to post room calendar with info for ports/excursions/etc.

I also make sure that we each carry copies of each other's passports and daily medicines as well as ICE numbers. Thank God we've never needed any but....

The best advice so far has been to bring a good attitude, good manners and a big smile ~ makes borrowing the things you've forgotten easier!

No matter where you're off to ~ have a Great Safe trip!!!!!!!

If you're bringing a travel clock, make sure that it's an atomic clock so it changes time zones for you.

As I said, I have small, really inexpensive clocks; I'm capable of pushing/turning a button when there's a notice on m y bed to turn my clock forward or back.

Sarah, your welcome. It's okay to post questions on here or by email. If you post them here, others can benefit from the answer as well. :D

I think I brought most of the things on that list for my first cruise. By the second time, I knew what I didn't need. No bungee cords, no duct tape. Didn't take the guide books or exchange converters. I have an iphone and you can get apps for those and save on the weight. Most of the other things are good. The large storage bags are great for souveniers. I do bring the collapsible laundry hamper and also the water wallet for shore excursions. And I agree, lots of $1 bills for tips, for the porters, taxi's, etc. We usually bring $50 in $1's, and split them between DH and I.

Kathy that is a great list and I've seen it before.

I thought the person who developed the list must have been a maniacal packer when I read the duct tape. And I thought why do I need duct tape? Well on one cruise I got a cabin with a loose drawer and it opened and shut in time with the rocking ship.....I packed a couple of pieces in a ziplock for my next cruise!!

Highlighters, sharpies, post-its, sea bands (which I ussually give to others), electrical power strip, blow dryer, sun block, anti bacterial wipes (yes...I spend the first half hour sanitising every hard surface), my own beach towels (because I don't want to pay 35$ if I lose the cruise towels and people do swipe them when they have lost theirs), water shoes and snorkel set (because I don't want to use a snorkel set that has been hosed down with a garden hose after the last person used it), most importantly a lanyard to hold my ship id.... If you will be swimming and you have valuables maybe a lanyard that had a little waterproof box at the end of it.....

These are a few of my favorite things.........

I take an over the door travel bag from WAlMart - Looks like a shoe bag but has double pockets to put all of the junk I bring in. Only used duct tape once and that was when a suitcase split. I was very glad I had it. I have a drawer I keep our cruise "junk" in so it's easy to repack for the next cruise. I also take a popup hamper for dirty clothes. I don't like them on the closet floor and I'm too lazy to pull the suitcase out each day! We take his & her markers to mark daily activities because we do different things on the ship.

These are such great ideas.

What's nice about these lists is that you can make it your own.

I have a cruise "box" started. Some things on the list are in there and some are not.

Only the cruiser knows what they will actually use....and if something differs??? You can adjust the list for your next cruise.

I agree the list is a great place to start. I also have an over the door hanger I got from Mary Kay that works great for all of our tolietries, makeup, etc. and keeps them off the counter. Another idea is to scan a copy of your passports and send to your email just in case you might need it, you can always access the information via email. I also make a couple of copies and leave one with family and take one with us onshore. I never take the original.

I agree the list is a great place to start. I also have an over the door hanger I got from Mary Kay that works great for all of our tolietries, makeup, etc. and keeps them off the counter. Another idea is to scan a copy of your passports and send to your email just in case you might need it, you can always access the information via email. I also make a couple of copies and leave one with family and take one with us onshore. I never take the original.

That is a great idea.....you are just full of them.......

One item I find useful for me is one of those travel trays, the kind that are flat and have snaps on the corners to make a nice little container. I keep it in my bedside drawer and bring it out at night to hold my glasses, rings, earrings and some medications.

I also bring many of the items listed here by others.

On the M class ships there is not a nightlight in the bathroom, and I bring one of those motion lights. Avoids turning on the big light at night.

a few items I always bring:

travel alarm clock with touch night light

yellow highlighter

stretch clothes line

clothes pins that have hooks on them to hang on clothes line

small emergency medicine kit (include dental items)

wine bottle opener

fanny pack

spanish travel translation book (small)

copies of drivers license and passport

I also take 2 9X12 envelopes. They take up no space or weight on the bottom of my suitcase. They are great for stashing receipts you may need for customs or to protect photos and other items that you collect along the way. Once I actually used one to send something home to myself.

Before the days of weight limits and charges for luggage, I packed "everything but the kitchen sink" (had a collapsible one :D:D...just kidding, of course). Now, whatever won't fit in one suitcase and one carry-on doesn't get to go, so other than some wrinkle-free and washable clothing items, here is the "must-have" list of extras for us.....

smartphone and phone charger (internet capable) with copies of important documents stored on memory card (I know....DON'T lose the phone!)

power strip

nightlight

travel clock

pop-up hamper

over-door shoe holder

wine opener

extra contacts/ glasses

antibiotic and anti-viral meds (again, I know....very controversial)

bandaids

smartphone and phone charger (internet capable) with copies of important documents stored on memory card (I know....DON'T lose the phone!)

power strip

nightlight

travel clock

pop-up hamper

over-door shoe holder

wine opener

extra contacts/ glasses

antibiotic and anti-viral meds (again, I know....very controversial)

bandaids

My list is similar to this one. We do the powerstrip, pop up hamper, travel clock over the door shoe rack, highlighters, bungee cord, extra small blanket to sit on the balcony with, magnets to attach notes to each other on the walls (are Celebrity's walls magnetic?), decorations for the door to help us celebrate our trip/know what room is ours, lots of one dollar bills to tip room service, flavored creamer because I can't stand coffee without it, Strabucks instant coffee, a plastic carrying water bottle or something so we can bring on shore for excursions, and then books, magazines etc

• 2 weeks later...

They may have been listed but I'll add them anyway...

Weighted wooden clothespins to keep the shower curtain from getting up close and personal.

Plastic shoe rack, the hanging kind with pockets, to hang over the bathroom door. Great place to store odds and ends, brushes, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Keeps the counter clear.

Edited by geospyder

Instead of worrying about magnets, etc., you might try using the Post-It index cards. They stick well to the wall, or to doors to leave messages for fellow travelers, and are sturdier and stickier than regular post it notes. Also a little bigger....

Instead of worrying about magnets, etc., you might try using the Post-It index cards. They stick well to the wall, or to doors to leave messages for fellow travelers, and are sturdier and stickier than regular post it notes. Also a little bigger....
....... while magnets work better for posting the route maps, itinerary schedules, daily event schedules and invitations to ship events up on the wall. Also not sticky.

I always bring a minimum of 2 days extra meds "just in case". If the trip involves overseas flight it would be 5 days extra.

If we are going to a cold place, I always bring HotHands packets. (You open, remove the packet and then shake in the air to to activate the chemicals. The heat lasts 10 hours.) After a shore excursion, they are still warm enough to use on our hands in the dining room which is always cold and then the final hurrah is to rub them on the sheets prior to getting in bed. We get them at a ski shop but I have seen them in Target and Walmart.

I bring one of those small sample cosmetic bottles dilled with dawn detergent to get out the inevitable grease spot:o

Ziploc bags - so many uses for these. On excursions, keeping wet bathing suits separated from dry things, preventing toiletries from spilling, keeping little tech gadgets together. Love those ziplocs.

Speaking of meds, an extra day or two supply isn't a bad idea. One thing I have recently started bringing is a list of all the medications taken, along with our Dr. name and phone number. Helpful in case of an emergency, hope it's never needed!

We like having our shower stuff at eye level (shampoo, conditioner, razor, soap) and often the showers do not have a place to put anything! I pack a plastic suction-type shower caddy and it works great!