Which would you choose?

What time of year? If it's summer, the southern will be HOT and HUMID...really!

If it's spring or fall, I'd go southern....summertime would find me in the Eastern Caribbean!

Another consideration is the departure port...I like to leave from the US...not San Juan!

We haven't cruised the Caribbean (yet) but the Southern route appeals to me more just because I don't think you will find as many ships down there.

Hopefully, our first Caribbean cruise will either be a longer one, or start in Puerto Rico. We haven't planned one yet.

Itineraries identified as "eastern" are really just the northern islands typically included in a southern itinerary - for example, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. On the way, they generally hit a random island such as Nausau or Key West. Eastern itineraries include a lot of sea days because you're having to travel a decent distance to reach those southern ports.

Southern itineraries typically originiate in Puerto Rico. They visit a wider variety of ports, mixing the typical tourist favorites with some less developed islands like Dominica and St. Kitts. They typically have only one, no more than two sea days.

I much prefer the southern Caribbean to any other Caribbean itinerary. The ports offer a wider variety of experiences, including rain forests, black sand beaches and historical ruins - along with the usual fabulous beach resorts. Many of us cruise to visit multiple locations on one vacation and I find it more interesting when those locations are all very different from each other.

I always thought that flights to San Juan would be too expensive and take too long. I've discovered that, from the northeast, the flight to San Juan is not much longer than a flight to Miami. And while the cost is higher, you can usually avoid the pre-cruise hotel stay because the ships don't leave Puerto Rico until 8:00 to 10:00 at night.

There are so many ports bunched up close together in the southern Caribbean, you can sail in that area multiple times and still keep hitting new ports. Eastern and Western itineraries tend to be pretty standard. In the west, there is Cozumel (or some Yucatan Mexico location), Grand Cayman, Belize, Jamaica, Labadee (private island) and Roatan. In the east, there is Naussau, CoCo Cay (private island), St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Southern ports include St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominica, Barbados, Grenada, Tortola, Barbados, Antigua, Aruba, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, Curacao...you get the picture.

Archived