Guarantee Booking - Chances for upgrade?

Debbierpof

But my BIL & SIL are booked as an inside cabin (guarantee) and wanted to upgrade to oceanview. Should they wait and see what their cabin assignment is first or try to move up now? We sail in July. Hoping for upgrade fairy, but getting impatient... Thanks! :D

Upgrades are a crap shoot. Sometimes they happen and sometimes they don't. Since there are fewer ships sailing the Caribbean during the summer and families with kids who are out of school are looking for vacations IMHO I don't think the CB will have a lot of trouble selling cabins. If they really want an outside cabin have them upgrade to an outside guarantee and see where they end up.

Have a great next cruise.

You can never count on an upgrade, let alone to the next class of stateroom or above. Can it happen? Sure it can, but it is always best to book at least the type of cabin you will be happy with and not count on an upgrade (to avoid disappointment). If they really want at least an outside cabin, I would say book it now while they still have locations to choose from, if they wait, you never know if there might not been any available down the road.

They could still leave their booking marked for an upgrade should one come along, and then cross their fingers. But if they don't want an inside cabin, I would say pay to upgrade now, just to be sure. Enjoy!

During Peak season with kids out of school, I would not bet the farm that they will be upgraded to an outside cabin. Keep in mind, that they may not even assign their cabin until a few days before sailing.

But my BIL & SIL are booked as an inside cabin (guarantee) and wanted to upgrade to oceanview. Should they wait and see what their cabin assignment is first or try to move up now? We sail in July. Hoping for upgrade fairy, but getting impatient... Thanks! :D

You did not indicate which category inside cabin was GTY or if the oceanview they desire is obstructed or not.

However, there are on the Emerald eight categories of inside cabin. If booked with a GTY in the lowest category, they could have a complementary upgrade of up to seven categories and still be in an inside cabin.

If wanting an unobstructed oceanview, they could have a complementary upgrade of up to twelve categories and still not be in an unobstructed ocean view.

The chances of getting an eight category upgrade (to the lowest category obstructed oceanview) or a thirteen category upgrade (to the lowest category unobstructed oceanview) are possible, but slim.

If they want to book a GTY, they need to book in the lowest category that they would be happy in. Because with a GTY, you will often get exactly what you booked.

I'd wait until the cabin was assigned. We just had a very unexpected visit from the upgrade fairy on both our cabins- one from inside guarantee to top balcony and the other from least minisuite to best. Bought on Monday, upgraded on Tuesday. Life sometimes brings unexpected pleasures but certainly one should not count on this.

I'd wait until the cabin was assigned. We just had a very unexpected visit from the upgrade fairy on both our cabins- one from inside guarantee to top balcony and the other from least minisuite to best. Bought on Monday, upgraded on Tuesday. Life sometimes brings unexpected pleasures but certainly one should not count on this.

Keep one thing in mind (you can reference many posts here that have been made recently). Some do not receive their cabin assignment until a few days before the cruise, some even not until they reach the pier. By that time, upgrading to an outside cabin would only be a memory of what you should have done.

Some do get lucky and are assigned their cabin much earlier, but it is not guaranteed.

Thanks to all for your input! I've passed along to SIL & BIL and letting them decide. In the end, we'll be on the darn ship and will have a great time regardless! :D Of course, I say this but I do have my mini booked and confirmed. ;)

Any upgrade we have gotten from an inside is to an obstructed oceanview. We have been upgraded maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the time. Around half of the obstructed cabins look directly at a lifeboat or tender. The other look between them with mechanical gear blocking the view.

I have never heard of jumping two major categories.

Keep one thing in mind (you can reference many posts here that have been made recently). Some do not receive their cabin assignment until a few days before the cruise, some even not until they reach the pier. By that time, upgrading to an outside cabin would only be a memory of what you should have done.

Some do get lucky and are assigned their cabin much earlier, but it is not guaranteed.

Very good point. I guess I'd maybe play it both ways- hang on for a while and see what happens, then take the other path.

Very good point. I guess I'd maybe play it both ways- hang on for a while and see what happens, then take the other path.

The other path may be one with a much higher cost later than if you take that path now as the cruise may be close to selling out later.

Paul - funny... that thread is why I started this thread... I didn't want to hijack that thread and ask my question there. I'm hoping that the darn upgrade fairy makes another appearance, though! :)

Hope springs eternal.....:):):)

Bob

Since you're sailing in July, you're past final payment and usually, cabins are sorted out by now. If they booked an inside GTY, that's probably what they'll get. Now, they may get a better location (which some consider an upgrade but if it's still an inside, I don't think that counts) but chances are slim they'd be upgraded to an obstructed oceanview or even an oceanview. It's always possible but I'd never count on it or expect the upgrade. As we always say, the best way to get an upgrade is to pay for it.

There's s huge different between the likelihood of getting upgraded for a cruise during the summer/holidays and getting upgraded at other times of the year. The ships do not have a problem filling up, and in fact, are often over-sold, so there are fewer opportunities for upgrading during July than during say, May.

We didn't jump categories, we stayed within mini-suite. In addition, the day before I got my cabin assignment, there were cabins available in just about all categories, the next day when we got ours, they all showed waitlist only and it's been that way since then. My point is that by the time they get their assignment, it will be too late to change. I'd tell them if it's important to them, they should pay for the ocean view and not wait. If it's not, then wait and see what the roll of the dice gets them. Happy Sailing!

Anyone ever upgraded from a mini suite to a full suite on the Grand?

Thanks

Nope not us, and we have booked a guarantee mini on the Grand several times in the past, and always received some type of mini in the bargain.

Maybe I'm strange but I like to pick room an check no upgrades. I'm picky on locations that might be noisy or too far from somewhere. I look what's above, below me and around me. :D I'm always satisfied because it's my own fault if I pick wrong. Now if someone else was to pick and it was noisy I would not be happy.

As you see below I have vacationitist.

framer

My MIL and FIL had done guarantee (AE - minisuite) and were just visited by the upgrade fairy (stateroom assigned is an AA minisuite). Great location. But my SIL and BIL still have not been assigned a stateroom (and they booked together with my MIL & FIL). Guess you just never know!

Archived