No More Price Drops?

Gonzo70

Hi Anne !

It says this new policy is effective with bookings made today, so I would imagine that any bookings made prior to today, would be handled as in the past.

Thanks Andy,

Now that I have had some time think about it, it is probably a very good thing for their bottom line. I just wish they had not tried to pass it off as something great for the passengers. The way they did it is almost insulting.

Anne

Reading this new proclamation is somewhat similar to reading the new health law, except it is much shorter. The bottom line is both appear to contain many pinhooks. For us, it is somewhat acacademic, since our next two cruises are sold out in our category, and the next two are essentially sold out in our cabin designations. Some folks have suggested that this essentially follows Carnival's new policy, although I have not bothered to check the aforesaid. Assuming, arguendo, the aforesaid to be true, then it is only a matter of time before auto tipping becomes mandatory, which will be good for the staff and all right thinking passengers.

Reading this new proclamation is somewhat similar to reading the new health law, except it is much shorter. The bottom line is both appear to contain many pinhooks. For us, it is somewhat acacademic, since our next two cruises are sold out in our category, and the next two are essentially sold out in our cabin designations. Some folks have suggested that this essentially follows Carnival's new policy, although I have not bothered to check the aforesaid. Assuming, arguendo, the aforesaid to be true, then it is only a matter of time before auto tipping becomes mandatory, which will be good for the staff and all right thinking passengers.

And I will be on my feet giving them a standing ovation :)

Lets hope it happens.

Anne

I hope PR at Celebrity read these posts and realize that experienced cruisers are intelligent people and cannot be fooled with stupid "110%" BS. So, as previous poster said - if the listed price is right for you - book it and don't wait for the price drop, but I bet a lot of people will wait for the best price and book 69 days before the cruise and still have enough time to get airfare. That is what I will do from now on.

Hope they don't need my revenue on early bookings, because I will no longer book ahead, there is no incentive now...The price match is a joke, because RCCL doesn't discount prices anywhere...

I can't understand the comparison to other products either. For years now, no one is allowed to advertise or even offer a lower price than what is established by RCL/Celebrity. TAs can offer OBC, prepaid tips, or insurance etc. to about a maximum of 9 or 10 % of the ticket price but only Celebrity can lower a price.

Several years ago, Celebrity had a special sale (not an Xciting Tuesday sale) that ran several days but no one was allowed to cancel and rebook at a lower price even for bookings outside of the 70 day window.

The policy of granting credit or OBC for price drops prior to final payments is not the issue. It's the recent policy of giving OBC for price drops after the final payment that I believe will be gone.

In other words unless you have your heart set on a specific cabin or have to sail on a certain date, it pays to wait for the deals but those are becoming rare.

Prices have really firmed up (good for the cruise lines, not for bargain hunters) lately. just look at the new Century sailings to Hawaii

*For cruises within penalty periods only. For cruises outside of penalty, Travel Agents or Guests may cancel and rebook at the lower rate if all qualifications of the new fare are met. Lower rates must be fares available to the general public that are publicly advertised by Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International.

So many posts & comments but this is the only quote that I have seen. Thank you for posting it. It starts with an * asterisk so can someone post what came before the asterisked material?

I did go to the FAQ of the Celeb. website It discusses what cruises are covered by the policy but does not have an entry on the FAQ for the policy. can someone post the whole policy or a link to where I can find it--

As I mentioned before, this polcy applied only to after final payment would be less upsetting to me but maybe the new trend will be to wait & see if they are filling the ships to get the best deals....The prices do vary so widely these days--

Way to go Celebrity! This is so great. To us this means, no more price drops as had been the case before 2008. The reason for booking early to get not only the best stateroom but the best price is coming back!

No more hard work chasing price drops to make less money! Finally back to the days of those staterooms that are on sale at the last minute being the ones that no one wanted...for. a. reason!!!

Thank you Celebrity!!! THUMBS WAY UP!!!

I am missing something here. How would it be the best price if you book 12-18 months ahead & your category goes down six to eight hundred dollars or more over time? That is not the best price by my calculations!!! You could just cancel or use the same booking number & switch to the same catefory cabin a few doors down-- so it saves them a big hassle by just giving you the reduction.

After final payment I don't care--by then the price I pay is fine with me !

This is what I found via a link on Royal's website--see beow. To me it means you get 110% of the difference in fares if you find a lower price within 48 hrs after booking. Reductions after that (before penalty period) can get a ship bd credit OR a fare reduction based on thelower price but no 110% bonus; and if during the penalty period I think , but am not sure that you would still get the Onboard credit...that's how it seems to me???? What do Celebrity & Royal say???

Q: What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program?

A: When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

b) available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and

c) a rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the Royal Sales Events and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

I'm not reading this as 48 hours after final payment. I'm reading this as you get 110% of the difference in price within 48 hours of booking. If the price drops between the booking and final payment you don't get 110%, but you do get the price reduction upon request. From my take on this what is different is there is no price drop after final payment.

I am missing something here. How would it be the best price if you book 12-18 months ahead & your category goes down six to eight hundred dollars or more over time? That is not the best price by my calculations!!! You could just cancel or use the same booking number & switch to the same catefory cabin a few doors down-- so it saves them a big hassle by just giving you the reduction.

After final payment I don't care--by then the price I pay is fine with me !

The only people that are celebrating and are happy about this new change in policy are travel agents. Since their livelihood is dependent on commissions, if our cruisefare is higher, then they make more money. And if there are no price reductions allowed, we wouldn't be calling them up every so often to get the lower price and thus cutting into their commission. So when he is talking about "best price", it is the best price for the travel agent, NOT for us!!!

I'm not reading this as 48 hours after final payment. I'm reading this as you get 110% of the difference in price within 48 hours of booking. If the price drops between the booking and final payment you don't get 110%, but you do get the price reduction upon request. From my take on this what is different is there is no price drop after final payment.

The policy says that for passengers outside of final payment you still get the reduction in price in the form of OBC or fare reduction. See the post above yours. It's a little more clear to me now. So the only thing changing is you can't get OBC from a reduction in price after final payment.

I think these are 2 different things-110% of the difference pertains to 48 hours after original booking. After final payment you have 48 hours to find a drop and you would get 100% not 110%-after that you're out of luck with nothing for any price reduction.

This how I'm understanding it.

I agree. I think much of the panic and confusion is due to some who made the call to RCI and X and had CSR's give out bad information.

I guess I just don't understand. If I can get my money back up to 70 days pre cruise, why wouldn't I do that and just rebook for the lower price? I guess I run the risk of losing my preferred cabin, but I would think the logistics of this on Celebrity's end would be a nightmare.

Sadly not if you are in the UK!! The moment we pay our deposit it is money we can not get back for any reason. I do so wish they would standardise booking conditions :(

Sadly not if you are in the UK!! The moment we pay our deposit it is money we can not get back for any reason. I do so wish they would standardise booking conditions :(

Sadly for those in the UK it may not be a simple matter of standardization but rather one of differing consumer protection regulations.

Just out of curiosity, I checked our December Constellation sailing; and, I found that one CC-1 had opened up at $600.00, more than our price.

I booked our Mar 2012 Sourth America cruise last month as soon as it was released and it has already gone up $300.

That is exactly what I was told. What changes is; you no longer receive OBC for price drops after final payment due date.

If I recall the fine print correctly, and that could be a big if, this policy is only for North American bookings. I think Europe is a whole different set of confusing rules.:)

I just read on the RCI board that now they're being told that this 48 hour policy is this way: You make your final payment around 60 days out. You will now have only 48 hours after final payment to find a price drop. After 48 hours if the price drops you are out of luck. Prior to this policy this is how it worked-if you found a price drop before final payment the amount of the drop was deducted from your original price. Once final payment was made if you found a price drop you got the new price but the money was not refunded to you but you got an OBC for the amount of the drop. No more OBC for price drops after final payment.

So if this is correct the only thing that has changed is the policy of price drops after final payment.

now THIS, i can live with. i have not had the good fortune to see a price drop after final payment so if you are correct then my way of booking and receiving price drops won't really change. last year we booked in May for the april 2010 cruise and the price dropped significantly at the end of july! we were thrilled and saved about a 1,000 dollars AFTER adding on our gratuities. now if that isn't allowed anymore i'll be beyond disappointed.

What?!?!? Give up the time honored Cruise Critic tradition of jumping to conclusions and blasting the greedy cruise line based on little to non-existent accurate information of what is actually happening? Say you aren't suggesting we give this up??? How are we to survive? OOOhhhh, nnnnooooo!!!!

toooooo funny! good one! you are soooooo right, how will we survive! :eek::D

now THIS, i can live with. i have not had the good fortune to see a price drop after final payment so if you are correct then my way of booking and receiving price drops won't really change.

On one cruise last November, the price dropped by $600 after final payment which was then given to us as an OBC. I think the change in policy is significant.

In some situations, if there is a price drop after final payment, would you be allowed to change categories for no charge. If, for example, you are paid up in an OV cabin and a balcony becomes available at a lower price, will you be allowed to switch?

Hi Everyone !

I spoke with my contact at Celebrity. Thankfully, the concerns are unfounded. The bulk of the change, involves what happens when you enter the Penalty Phase. Here are some bulletpoints from My conversation. As always, please do not hold me to this.

-- The Best Price Guarantee program involves the first 48 hours of booking.

-- Until the day before you go into a Penalty phase, you will continue to be eligible for price drops, OBC's, or the option to upgrade to a higher category Cabin, subject to availability (Same as current).

-- Once Cancellation Fees begin, you will not recieve any price drops, or OBC's. However, you can upgrade your cabin, subject to availabilty. Example : You paid 1699 for an Outside. After final paymant, Category 2A is now 1699. You can upgrade to that cabin. If the price is more, you can pay the difference. If the Price of the balcony is 1599, you can still upgrade, but would not get any credit back.

Thankfully, it appears to be much ado about nothing. The biggest change, is that you cannot expect a price adjustment or OBC once you enter the Penalty Phase. Frankly, I feel this is a reasonable change. I hope this helps !

I understand the policy about the 110% within 48 hours of booking, but can someone post the link that shows the statements about price reductions/OBC after the 48 hours and after final payment? Did the press release actual address anything after the 48 hours? Do you think it is possible that the new policy just increases the payback within the 48 hour period and keeps everything else the same? This would be logical.

Archived