No More Price Drops?

Gonzo70

This may disturb our "book early" scenario, but since we are already booked for the remainder of 2010 and 2011, we may worry about it later. As a matter of fact, our two remaining cruises for this year are sold out in our category; hence, we did not anticipate a reduction for them in any event. Additionally, our two Equinox, AQ, cruises for 2011, are almost sold out. Ergo, it appears that the only effect it may have upon our future bookings is for 2012.

I just spoke with an RCI C&A rep. This new policy only applies to cruises booked during special promotions. RCI and X are not changing their practice of honoring price reductions and discounts.

To me, it appears that it has nothing to do with honoring price drops like they currently do, but they are giving you 48 hours from booking so that if you find a lower rate (like at one of the travel websites), they will give you 110% of the difference in OBC. Basically saying that Celebrity should have the lowest prices, not the "other guys". It's no different than what some of the hotels currently do. Ex: Holiday Inn. Here is the link: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/c/1/content/dec/cn/0/en/rd/rate/lowguar.html?cm_sp=IMMerch-_-6C_US_en-_-HP_SectionB_LIRG

I don't see where it says it won't honor price drops later. Is it possible people are reading too far into this?

I put a cruise on 48 hr hold on 5/16. Was planning to confirm today....but I won't know if I fall under the "grandfather" policy pre 5/17....or not. Since I did not CONFIRM and give a deposit....I am guessing I would not be grandfathered with today's policy.

Thoughts/opinions?

*For cruises within penalty periods only. For cruises outside of penalty, Travel Agents or Guests may cancel and rebook at the lower rate if all qualifications of the new fare are met. Lower rates must be fares available to the general public that are publicly advertised by Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International.

On the other hand our upcoming med cruise this next September has had most categories of cabins sold out for some time and if this remains true I'd think any cabins that might become available, if any, would be much higher in price. While we've seen a lot of cruises get heavy discounting in the tough economic climate of the past year or two that hasn't always been the case. A couple years back it was very common to see prices nearly double between the time we made our bookings, over a year in advance, and the prices offered within the last 3 or 4 months before the sail date on some cruises.

Our upcoming Baltic cruise in August is completely sold out - every category. And still three months away, and one month until final payment. There is probably a wait-list on this cruise, so cancelling and rebooking might not get you back on - you'd have to go to the back of the wail-list line.

Sadly, they never seem give residency rates for CA :(on Europe cruises.

They do. We received a $900 price drop on our August Baltic cruise. It came and went pretty fast, however - I think it was only a few days. It's important to check the prices often or you'll never know one a residency rate was ever available.

Our upcoming Baltic cruise in August is completely sold out - every category. And still three months away, and one month until final payment. There is probably a wait-list on this cruise, so cancelling and rebooking might not get you back on - you'd have to go to the back of the wail-list line.

If a cruise is sold out I doubt there would be pricing advertised. Anytime I've seen a category without any cabins it either said "N/A" or "Sold Out".

If a cruise is sold out I doubt there would be pricing advertised. Anytime I've seen a category without any cabins it either said "N/A" or "Sold Out".

Exactly what the Celebrity web site said yesterday - SOLD OUT for every category, with no prices listed.

If the new policy slow down new bookings, they will make changes to the policy. The same as when they made changes to amounts of OBC for future cruises, booked on board based on the cost of the cruise, not the length of the cruise. And, booking on board drasticaly dropped. Now the went back to giving OBC based on length og the cruise.

So what happen if the price dropped after the final payment for the cruise booked before 5/17?

To me, it appears that it has nothing to do with honoring price drops like they currently do, but they are giving you 48 hours from booking so that if you find a lower rate (like at one of the travel websites), they will give you 110% of the difference in OBC. Basically saying that Celebrity should have the lowest prices, not the "other guys". It's no different than what some of the hotels currently do. Ex: Holiday Inn. Here is the link: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/c/1/content/dec/cn/0/en/rd/rate/lowguar.html?cm_sp=IMMerch-_-6C_US_en-_-HP_SectionB_LIRG

I don't see where it says it won't honor price drops later. Is it possible people are reading too far into this?

I'm with you on this one. I follow (and participate) extensively with hotel best rate guarantee programs. Every major hotel chain (Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, etc, etc) has this same kind of program. So does Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. They all want you to believe their website offers the lowest price, and backs it up with a best rate guarantee program that rewards you in some way if you can find a lower rate. And, with the exception of Travelocity, they all require you bring a lower rate to their attention within 24-48 hours of booking. Sound familiar after reading about RCCL's new program? In the hotel industry, the goal of such programs is to get the customer to book directly with the hotel rather than through a 3rd party (Travel Agent, Expedia, etc).

I see this more as an incentive on RCCL/Celebrity's part to obtain more direct bookings than ones through 3rd parties which obligates them to pay a commission.

They do. We received a $900 price drop on our August Baltic cruise. It came and went pretty fast, however - I think it was only a few days. It's important to check the prices often or you'll never know one a residency rate was ever available.

thanks, I'm pretty good about checking everyday, since we're still 18 months out, I'm not counting on any price drops for at least another year.

I'm with you on this one. I follow (and participate) extensively with hotel best rate guarantee programs. Every major hotel chain (Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, etc, etc) has this same kind of program. So does Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. They all want you to believe their website offers the lowest price, and backs it up with a best rate guarantee program that rewards you in some way if you can find a lower rate. And, with the exception of Travelocity, they all require you bring a lower rate to their attention within 24-48 hours of booking. Sound familiar after reading about RCCL's new program? In the hotel industry, the goal of such programs is to get the customer to book directly with the hotel rather than through a 3rd party (Travel Agent, Expedia, etc).

I see this more as an incentive on RCCL/Celebrity's part to obtain more direct bookings than ones through 3rd parties which obligates them to pay a commission.

Thanks! That's what I was trying to say. I think people are in an unnecessary panic.

Hope they don't need my revenue on early bookings, because I will no longer book ahead, there is no incentive now...The price match is a joke, because RCCL doesn't discount prices anywhere...

I think we should all take a wait and see attitude here. Several people over on the RCI boards have been calling and live-chatting with RCI, including me. The general consensus so far is that they will still honor price drops up until final payment. After final payment still seems to be up in the air.

The new best price guarantee seems to apply to a 110% credit within 48 hours, resulting in a lower fare and an automatic OBC, but has no effect on later price reductions.

Before we get too upset, I think we should wait for RCCL to come out with a better press release.

OK....I just called Celebrity and asked point blank...the policy is still the same on price matching...if the price drops before final payment is made, you get the new price...and final payment is due 70 days before sailing. I booked the Eclipse today, so I was a little worried when I read this post...but this is the same policy most cruise lines have...I am good:D

What?!?!? Give up the time honored Cruise Critic tradition of jumping to conclusions and blasting the greedy cruise line based on little to non-existent accurate information of what is actually happening? Say you aren't suggesting we give this up??? How are we to survive? OOOhhhh, nnnnooooo!!!!

Yea, that's true. It is hilarious to read what our minds make up when we have inadequate info! :D;)

"What?!?!? Give up the time honored Cruise Critic tradition of jumping to conclusions and blasting the greedy cruise line based on little to non-existent accurate information of what is actually happening? Say you aren't suggesting we give this up??? How are we to survive? OOOhhhh, nnnnooooo!!!! "

Thanks for saying what I wanted to!!!!!!

No, this has ZERO to do with the new policy. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean do not allow third parties to discount their cruises. The new policy specifically states that the lower price must be a price advertised by/available directly through the cruise line. This new policy eliminates price drops after final payment is due (unless you book after final payment - then you can get a price drop for the first 48 hours after you book). This new policy is all about Royal, Celebrity and Azamara being able to discount cruises after final payment to fill the ships without having to give people already booked the benefit of a price drop. Great for them; bad for us.

If they want to do this, fine - but don't sugar coat it and make it look like it is some kind of great new perk for cruisers. As I said in another thread, what they are doing is the equivalent of bringing back an oil surcharge and issuing a press release about how fantastic and hunky dory the surcharge is for cruisers.

At least it looks like my three current cruises will be grandfathered in, but when the next batch of itineraries come out - unless the pricing looks incredible, I will not be booking early. I will wait until last minute to book future cruises and possibly will have to be open to looking at other cruise lines if the Celebrity cruise I am spying ends up being too high as the cruise date approaches.

This new policy is all about Royal, Celebrity and Azamara being able to discount cruises after final payment to fill the ships without having to give people already booked the benefit of a price drop. Great for them; bad for us.

"Great for them; bad for us." That says it all. Guess they're just tired of giving away the store. As far a sugar coating the new policy, that's what PR is all about - let's find a way to cushion to the blow and make the public think we're doing this for its benefit.

For what it's (not!) worth, I wish they'd go back to the pricing formula of yesteryear which was more fair to both the cruise line and pax. Fares were set by date, published in brochures in columns of high, low, regular and holiday sailings, as well as early bookings, and most importantly, those fares didn't fluctuate by the hour. If you waited to book until two or three weeks prior to sailing, you got a really good fare - but that good fare would likely be offset by high air prices. Cruise lines got the price they wanted, travel agents were allowed to discount and it was up to the pax to do their due diligence and find the deal that made them happy. It's far more complicated now and despite X's best efforts, discounting still exists - only now it's in the form of OBC and paid gratuities, free insurance, spa treatments, wine, specialty dinners, shore excursions, etc. Celebrity's attempt to simplify its pricing structure has turned into nothing more than a difference without a distinction and has served only to further complicate matters - for everyone. JMHO.

Archived