Drinking water on board ship?

stavs

How is the drinking water on board ship? I imagine its filtered, but just wanted to ask as I am a big water drinker. Is the water out of the bathroom sink good?

We have never had any issues with the tap water. We refill water bottles and put them in the fridge for heading a shore.

You'll get a lot of answers to this. *I* think it's fine.

The water is made on board via distillation and/or reverse osmosis. It should be as good as the average town/city's public water (if not better).

We just got off the Triumph last week and it was fine. We had several thermoses setting around as platinum gifts from previous cruises and decided to fill them and use on our excursions. They were great and the water was fine.

The water was very good...and I drank a LOT of it!! Probably better than most bottled water. They actually filter sea water. I also packed about 10 bottles of water in our luggage to carry with us to ports and to drink at night, but I mostly drank their water.

The water was very good...and I drank a LOT of it!! Probably better than most bottled water. They actually filter sea water. I also packed about 10 bottles of water in our luggage to carry with us to ports and to drink at night, but I mostly drank their water.

I am SO glad they do more than just filter it:rolleyes:

It's the same that people buy from Sparklets or other off brand bottled water. Its just tap water that gets processed through a reverse osmosis unit. Mostlikely the same quality as the bottle they will sell you. Unless you buy water that states its from a spring like Poland springs(east coast) or Arrowhead (west coast), those are filtered ground water.

I actually do not like the water! Dont flame me please, i will explain! Reverse osmosis is a killer way to to sanitize and make salt water proper for human consumption, However it's sterile! That sounds good right? and people really love to compare it to bottled water. It does not compare to bottled water! most bottled water is filtered and chlorinated, and in many cases they add minerals back to the water for taste! I have come to expect those minerals being in my water and rather enjoy the fact that it has a slight flavor. Ships water is so sterile that it absolutely is tasteless and odorless. I do not know if they chlorinate ships water, but i know for fact that bottled water is chlorinated! You can not detect by taste because its below the breakpoint residual. I seldom drink the ships water for the tasteless reason alone! I would not be afraid to drink it at all, and neither should anyone else. :) its just to bland for sophisticated palette:rolleyes:

I enjoyed the ship's water. If anything it "tastes" better than my tap water at home.

:)

But then our city water comes from Lake Ontario and it is the last of the Great Lakes downstream. So I figure my tap water has gone through at least 7 sets of kidneys!

:eek:

The drinking water onboard is excellent. The ship makes fresh water by reverse osmosis from seawater when far out to sea.

When in port, the ship will take on some city water to supplement its needs until it can get out to sea and make its own.

I have only seen the ship taking on water in a US port. They do not take on water from places where the water is not up to health standards.

I enjoyed the ship's water. If anything it "tastes" better than my tap water at home.

:)

But then our city water comes from Lake Ontario and it is the last of the Great Lakes downstream. So I figure my tap water has gone through at least 7 sets of kidneys!

:eek:

Glad I live in Thunder Bay - we start the flow to you guys I guess. Our water is great but then never thought in terms you described. I personally like the water on the ship and will drink it from any tap source. I know people will take packets of Crystal Lite or such and add it to the water.

Thanks so much for this thread. Im a big water drinker too. Im glad to hear that most of yall like the ships water. I plan to take a case of cokes with me,but drink "faucet" water in my mug!

from VERY limited(1 cruise)experience. on the Ecstasy. The water smelled BAD. It tasted BAD. It made the tea taste BAD. I couldn't stand to use it to rinse my mouth when brushing my teeth. Maybe I'm the weird one, but my boyfriend said the same thing. Very funky smell, VERY funky taste.

Maybe other ships are different- I certainly hope so. But I plan to be prepared on my next cruise and take twice as much bottled water as I did last time.

So tell me "What does Water taste like". I am stationed on a ship and we use a Flash Evap to make Potable Water. And yes all potable water made from sea water is clorinated. One of the daily test we conduct on potable water is a FAC, look it up, you might learn something ?????

Archived