Confused on bottled water situation: can we bring a case onboard?

krewzin

Some people save long and hard for a cruise, sometimes years, and sometimes even just for the cheapest inside cabin. And in that time policies change onboard ship that reflect how these people must save and budget for their cruise. Even tips and parking can bring the cost of a cruise up several hundred dollars, and that can mean months worth of extra saving on the part of the perspective customer. Then the drinks packages and cost of bottled water come into play. We might not drink coffee or alchohol, or take shore excursions when in port because maybe we really cant afford it either, but we do want to drink quality water, and maybe that means not the shipboard potable water. Still more money piled on top of the cost of the cruise, which started out to be a deal. Once all is said in done the perspective customer who bought a cheap inside cabin at only $545 cruise has to save triple and quadruple the amount of the cruise just to pay for all the other extras. Sure some of you can afford to spend over $1000 on drinks packages alone, and quadruple that in expansive suites, but for some the rest of us the cost of a single bottle of water, three or five times a day can add a significant cost to the cruise package. So we (and they) are rightfully concerned over the smallest detail, even if it IS the cost of a bottle of water.

Well said.

What about when docking in other US ports on an itinerary? Say a cruise that visits several ports down the East or West coast, and you hit a local grocery store. Can you also bring it onboard then?

Yes, you can as well as soda.

I just got off of Summit on Sunday, and yes, there was a carafe of water in the room. This was the first time that I drank only bottled water and did notice the difference in the lack of swelling in my hands and feet. It may only be a coincidence but I was a lot more comfortable than I usually am during a cruise.

Perhaps they are not doing the carafe of water only on the Solstice class, and the M class still have them?

Our last cruise was Solstice Nov 2009, and we requested a carafe of water but the attendant informed us this was not available and that the only carafes on board were for coffee so even if filled with water they would taste like coffee.

On previous cruises we had always consumed the free water with no bloat, but every one's system is different.

Some people save long and hard for a cruise, sometimes years, and sometimes even just for the cheapest inside cabin. And in that time policies change onboard ship that reflect how these people must save and budget for their cruise. Even tips and parking can bring the cost of a cruise up several hundred dollars, and that can mean months worth of extra saving on the part of the perspective customer. Then the drinks packages and cost of bottled water come into play. We might not drink coffee or alchohol, or take shore excursions when in port because maybe we really cant afford it either, but we do want to drink quality water, and maybe that means not the shipboard potable water. Still more money piled on top of the cost of the cruise, which started out to be a deal. Once all is said in done the perspective customer who bought a cheap inside cabin at only $545 cruise has to save triple and quadruple the amount of the cruise just to pay for all the other extras. Sure some of you can afford to spend over $1000 on drinks packages alone, and quadruple that in expansive suites, but for some the rest of us the cost of a single bottle of water, three or five times a day can add a significant cost to the cruise package. So we (and they) are rightfully concerned over the smallest detail, even if it IS the cost of a bottle of water.

I agree with you 100%. I always take a case or two of water on the ship. I workout and I drinka around 8 or more bottles a day. If I paid four or five dollars a bottle I would cut back resulting in dehydration and not properly fueling my workouts. It takes two minutes to put the case in the trunk and hand it to the porters....I handsomly tip the porters and I have never seen a negative reaction from the porters. Once I hand it to the porters that is it and I never see it agian until it gets to my room......

I spend tons of money onthe ship for alcohol, spa treatments, specialty restaurants...etc. I would rather spend my money on items that I can not bring on the ship. Since it is allowed I don't feel I'm hurting anyone....

People who refill bottles at the buffet may inadvertantly be hurting others because that is a great way to spread germs......

• 4 years later...
It's been a long time since last post about water bottles. I'm sailing on constellation tomorrow and already packed a case of water - is it going to be taken away from me?

Best to drop it at the pier, if you carry it on you aren't allowed in your room sometimes as late as 1:30...

One wrinkle I have read about is that in Tampa (only) the porters will not accept cases of water if you just tape a tag on. So we brought a light nylon duffle bag and put the case of water inside -- no problem, delivered right to our cabin.

Please Please.....if you can afford a cruise you can afford water.

Please please? LOL

Not everyone has excess spending money to buy dozens of bottles of water at $4 each. Many people who cruise actually have budgets. Not everyone who cruises is wealthy.

I can afford a cruise, but if I had to spend $4 for every bottle of water (between my partner and I, we easily drink 6-8 bottles a day), on top of every drink, it would be an issue.

It is not up to you to judge someone else's monetary situation or preference.

The ship's water is the same water that is in those bottles that you bring aboard or buy...it's WATER! One is no better than another. I swear! It's all H2O!!!!

I agree with you for the most part however some have complained of the high sodium content which can be a problem.

I drink the ship's water all the time, especially at meals. Never felt bloated. We do travel in Aqua and use the bottled water provided when working out in the gym and going ashore.

Edited by Banjo

I thought that I read someplace that once the suite perks were fully rolled out - bottled water in the cabin was going to finally be included - I assume this starts at a Sky but I don't know for sure. Last cruise we were in a Sky and we brought with us a case of water, along with my diet tonic - just taped and tagged and tip the porter, delivered to our cabin. So easy.