Super elite

Mimg Pao

But this "perk" is giver to the top 40 regardless of being Elite, Platinum or Gold. Like you said, there should be something that could be given to the really top Elites which should cost them basically nothing much but generate some special feelings for the upper classes. Perhaps even a special waiting area in the terminal with refreshments.
True, but on the cruises I've taken, almost all of the "Most traveled" had at least 250 days, long past achieving "Elite" status. On my cruise last summer, I checked what the cut-off # of days was and it was over 300 days. I made the list for the first time my last cruise in January with 230 days (at the time).

Disclaimer: sailing solo, I get double credit now, so I'm obviously galloping toward Elite faster than most coupled-up Platinums. That said . . .

I somewhat agree with those who regret that anyone taking nothing but 1,2,or3-dayers can become Elite in as little as 14 days of cruising. (Although no more iffy than travel agents who attain Elite status by becoming Commodores which, if my experience with one is any guide, doesn't involve actually learning anything -- I'm guessing the tests were all totally open book and encouraged cheating -- but I digress.)

However, I think the previous poster who lumps in 7-day cruises with the short coastals is being elitist (no pun intended). The 7-day cruise is still the standard cruise of the industry and, given the shockingly miniscule amount of vacation time the average American receives, is the maximum number of days many cruisers can hope to take at once. Sailing on 15 of them is an accomplishment worthy of Elite status -- they have demonstrated unquestioned loyalty to the Princess brand at that point.

I think in their rush to achieve dizzying new heights of specialness, there's too much of the "pull up the ladder after me" in some of these posts. After all, it's great you have 15,742 days at sea but let's be real: that idjit who sailed on 15 1-nighters and is carrying a black card isn't impacting your own experience at all, as far as I can see.

(Although no more iffy than travel agents who attain Elite status by becoming Commodores which, if my experience with one is any guide, doesn't involve actually learning anything -- I'm guessing the tests were all totally open book and encouraged cheating -- but I digress.)

You have run into one of those too hey? I have to agree with this comment, I have yet to run into a Commodore that knew much of anything about Princess. Not to say they aren't out there, but I have yet to run into one. ;)

You have run into one of those too hey? I have to agree with this comment, I have yet to run into a Commodore that knew much of anything about Princess. Not to say they aren't out there, but I have yet to run into one. ;)

It's a shame, really. I mean, I could handle the misinformation about the cabin but when they misquote final payment rules and FCC usage details, that's shameful. Plus, I've noticed them get recommended here as a good place to start looking for a discount agent and that certainly wasn't the case. I felt like they were actually charging more than Princess.

i agree with everything rdsqrl said. i also cruise solo and so are getting double credits (i also am paying double--i don't seem to be taking the cruises with a 150% charge. blah). i also live on the west coast so it is more convenient for me to take a coastal. one of them (my first ever cruise) was 3 days. i have also taken a 30 day cruise.

i will be elite this year (want the free laundry!) and feel like its taken me a long time. i don't remember who said it, but its true, the platinum section takes forever!

some people get lots of holidays or are retired, some can afford a suite, some can cruise more often than others. will all of those people be 'more elite' than i am because of how they got there?

It's a shame, really. I mean, I could handle the misinformation about the cabin but when they misquote final payment rules and FCC usage details, that's shameful. Plus, I've noticed them get recommended here as a good place to start looking for a discount agent and that certainly wasn't the case. I felt like they were actually charging more than Princess.

you must have encountered the same one i have. toto i think you should become a ta. you, i trust. and you have the knowledge--far more than a commodore who has never been on a ship.

(Although no more iffy than travel agents who attain Elite status by becoming Commodores which, if my experience with one is any guide, doesn't involve actually learning anything -- I'm guessing the tests were all totally open book and encouraged cheating -- but I digress.)

If I can, I'd like to respond with a bit of a difference of opinion. Becoming a Commodore is actually not that simple. It involves taking multiple hours of online training, and there is no actual "book." The courses are online, and the only information a TA has in front of them when they take the test is the collection of notes they took while they did the online modules.

The TA will actually enroll in the Princess Academy and advance from first officer, to staff captain, to captain, then eventually to commodore. You are required to take courses in everything from Princess policies, to destinations, to fleet overviews. In total you end up taking multiple hours of training and exams. Even then you do not become a Commodore until you pass a final examination, and you still have to take refresher courses to maintain your status.

I know because I am a Commodore myself. And I have taken the courses, and been certified, with Holland America, Crystal, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and NCL. The Princess Commodore process was by far the most difficult and time consuming.

TAs are no different from doctors, lawyers, plumbers, teachers, salespeople or anyone else...there are good ones and bad ones. (And when I was a lawyer believe me, I met my fair share of awful ones). It is a shame that you have run into some poor excuses for Commodores but I don't think it is fair to diminish the knowledge or accomplishments of everyone who takes that program. Was it as hard as passing the CA Bar Exam? No. But it did take some time, effort and energy to complete.

It actually is quite an investment of time -- unless of course you work in a large agency where one person took the test and printed out all the answers for you. But if you actually put in the time and effort to attain that status, is is usually not the result of cheating or lack of effort. Just my two cents.

Though I am very sorry that you had bad experiences with a Commodore agent in the past...I apologize on behalf of my fellow Commodore if they treated you unprofessionally. I can say, that hopefully you have found a better TA that has been more knowledgeable and personable since then. :)

Getting a sailing credit for a Coastal balances out the 14NTs booked on single booking numbers but operated as two distinct voyages. I'd also note the 1NTs aren't particularly *cheap*. Sailing on them benefits the line by defraying the port charges across more passengers, and I use them as an opportunity to introduce people to the brand and to the cruise experience as a whole. In the last year, I've gotten two dozen people onboard 1NTs to get them hooked. Of those, nine more cabins have been booked for at least a week each. I see the cruise credits as a nice little "thank you" for being an unpaid brand ambassador.

If they really wanted to improve their service to Elites, they'd concentrate on actually delivering the advertised benefits more correctly every time - ie, make priority boarding worthwhile, eliminate "glitches" in priority disembarkation, etc.

The courses are online' date=' and the only information a TA has in front of them when they take the test is the collection of notes they took while they did the online modules.

[/quote']

I work for a big company, and frequently have to take online-courses

on yawners. The best way to get through it is to save screen shots of

the pages, and then refer to them when you get to the questions. That

way, you don't have to actually waste your time internalizing anything.

If they really wanted to improve their service to Elites, they'd concentrate on actually delivering the advertised benefits more correctly every time - ie, make priority boarding worthwhile, eliminate "glitches" in priority disembarkation, etc.

Yes, I have to agree with this observation. There is some unevenness in the delivery of the services. Most of the time, everything is in order, but running into a clueless cabin steward, which has happened more than once, or dealing with room service to get a mini-bar delivered with a last-minute cabin change......yup. Seems to me those crew members are the ones who need to be most tuned in to what Elite passenger benefits are.

I am quite happy with the suite/elite line at the Passenger Services Desk, a very nice touch.

What I would also really, truly appreciate is the opportunity to make an appt. with the future cruise consultant and/or the Captain's Circle hostess, rather than having to wait in line - which can be a huge time waster when one has a question that can be sorted out face to face in a minute or two.

I do appreciate the onboard credits that start appearing after 20 cruises, and increase as more cruises go by.

Super Elite perk - breakfast at Sabatini's for us non-suite passengers - would be so "suite"!!! Are you reading Princess?????:D

Ginger

The problem with adding a super Elite category and giving the breakfast in Sabatini's is the numbers, especially on the small ships. We got off the Ocean Princess Monday. There were 607 passengers, including 165 Elites. THe cutofff for the most traveled luncheon was about 290. These ships have 10 suites. So adding a Super Elite with a cutoff of 300 would nearly triple the people eligible for the breakfast in Sabatinis

And to think, some of our cruises were in full suites, that now receive double cruise credits, but that rule was not retro-active. :(

Sadly we returned from of first full suite and they changed to the new rules 7-14 days later. However we have been able to enjoy the double dip on every cruise since.

Andrew

The problem with adding a super Elite category and giving the breakfast in Sabatini's is the numbers, especially on the small ships. We got off the Ocean Princess Monday. There were 607 passengers, including 165 Elites. THe cutofff for the most traveled luncheon was about 290. These ships have 10 suites. So adding a Super Elite with a cutoff of 300 would nearly triple the people eligible for the breakfast in Sabatinis

And the restaurant the breakfast is held in (Sabatinis) on the smaller ships would not hold that many Elite passengers, even if they staggered their breakfast times.

If the rules were changed, it would have to be for all ships, and I just don't see this happening anytime soon, or at least while Princess has the smaller ships still in the fleet.

I am quite happy with the suite/elite line at the Passenger Services Desk, a very nice touch.

What I would also really, truly appreciate is the opportunity to make an appt. with the future cruise consultant and/or the Captain's Circle hostess, rather than having to wait in line - which can be a huge time waster when one has a question that can be sorted out face to face in a minute or two.

Super Elite perk - breakfast at Sabatini's for us non-suite passengers - would be so "suite"!!! Are you reading Princess?????:D

Ginger

Suite people pay double so they should get a few extra things.

I waited in the suite/elite line and no one ever came to help me. One guy was just standing there and I said "should I stay here or come over there?" he said "come over here"

In our cabin it stated that if we needed anything to call someone (can't remember who it was) and they would take care of us and it also said for excursions "call the manager and they will take care of you" They told me to come down to the desk -- I waited forever. And there always was a line FCC desk. ANd the Captain's circle hostess was never around. I saw her one time and I stopped to talk but she was really rude.

Now that I think about it, I had to really work hard for all of my perks. Good thing I did all the waiting and didn't tell dh everything or he would have been very upset. We had such a wonderful time that those are in the far back of my mind but they are starting to bother me now that I remember everything.

Our pre cruise tour was so organized - they need to switch to the ship.

The worst part of the cruise was leaving. We felt like cattle, even in the lounge. I asked at the main desk if we could leave later since we were just heading to a hotel for a couple days and in no hurry (why not read a book in the lounge and let the people off who have connections) but they said no. Next time I'm waiting. When she told us to leave, the line stretched the length of the boat and back around. This is where elite and suite people need a perk.

And the restaurant the breakfast is held in (Sabatinis) on the smaller ships would not hold that many Elite passengers, even if they staggered their breakfast times.

If the rules were changed, it would have to be for all ships, and I just don't see this happening anytime soon, or at least while Princess has the smaller ships still in the fleet.

So what says it has to have a cutoff number of 300 if it would crowd the dining rooms. It could be adjusted to 320, 330 or 350 if need be. Surely that wouldn't crowd any of the dining rooms even on the smaller ships.

So what says it has to have a cutoff number of 300 if it would crowd the dining rooms. It could be adjusted to 320, 330 or 350 if need be. Surely that wouldn't crowd any of the dining rooms even on the smaller ships.

They only have one dining room on the smaller ships (no anytime dining because of this) so they do not offer mulitple dining rooms, just the one, so that isn't an option. Breakfast for suite passengers is held in Sabatinis which is very small in comparison to the larger ships. I have never counted the tables, but there are not many. One cruise we sailed on a smaller ship, there were times that the suite guests took up half the tables at the same time. So, that leaves very few tables for Elite members of any number of days sailed. And keep in mind, on many itinerarys on the smaller ships, 1/3 or more of the passengers can be higher Elites. I just can't see this happening anytime soon. Face it, it is a suite perk, and I doubt it will ever be anymore than that. ;)

Archived