gambling a 9 am flight from FLL

monkeyinhat

would you do this? I have cruised many times but never been in a hurry to disembark so never paid attention times.

there is a cheap flight on allegiant but only departs 9 am and not again for 2 days

if this is doable, would it be quicker to check luggage or no check?

tia

There is a reason your cruiseline tells you not to book a return flight before a certain time, and there's also a reason this flight is cheaper. I wouldn't do it; highly doubt that you'd be able to make it. And, if you don't make this flight, what will happen?

I don't know this airline's policies, but for many of them, you miss a flight because it's your fault, and you are out-of-luck. No free ride; you'll have to purchase a new ticket.

would you do this? I have cruised many times but never been in a hurry to disembark so never paid attention times.

there is a cheap flight on allegiant but only departs 9 am and not again for 2 days

tia

Wouldn't even consider it !! Don't know what time your ship gets in, but you can't normally get off much before 8am (if the ship isn't late). Boarding for the plane shud close for your flight 15 mins (at least) before the gate time. Don't think you can 'check' bags unless you have a flight after 11am.

Don't spend your last night on board the ship fretting about whether or not you'll make the flight. Did that last year, and it wasn't fun!!

While there is a chance you could make it, it is a very small chance.

Keep in mind, if you miss it, you will either have to wait 2 days for the next Allegiant flight or pay the full price for a one way ticket home, if you can find a seat.

While there is a chance you could make it, it is a very small chance.

Keep in mind, if you miss it, you will either have to wait 2 days for the next Allegiant flight or pay the full price for a one way ticket home, if you can find a seat.

Disagree..No chance at all you will make it..unless you jump ship as it comes into port, swim for the dock and hope that nobody sees you...:eek:

tia

I got off Statendam last month in San Diego. I believe we were supposed to get into port 5 - 6 am. We were delayed and didn't get in until after 8 am. Then not everyone showed up at customs. We did not leave the ship until 12:30 PM!!!!! Many many people missed their flights. Luckly we booked a flight the next morning and were very happy we did. I know it isn't the same port, but I just wanted to show you things happen. Be smart and book a later flight.

You will make THAT flight,but not on the day you need to . If you want to stay in the FLL area for the extra two days you can do it, but from your post you need to be flying....soooner.

That is why it is cheaper.....

Select another flight after 11 am

Good luck

Bruton Branch

I would never book such a flight either. Our last time into Port Everglades, we could have just barely made such a flight, but our itinerary didn't require immigration clearance as we did that at our prior port of call, and we were able to get off nice and early carrying off our luggage. If getting home earlier is your goal, book a noonhour flight on an airline with several flights, and try for standby on the earlier flights. At least you will know you have a seat at a reasonable time, and if all the stars line up then maybe you can get out of town earlier.

The only way you could make that flight is if everything goes perfect. Dock 6am, clears customs at 7am, you are the first person off the ship and there is a taxi waiting for you. Also no wait at FLL airline luggage checkin and no wait at security. Then there is a 50/50 chance you will make it.

Everything has to go perfect to get to the airport at 8am which I highly doubt you will make it. Pick a flight after 12noon to be safe.

Not only is the OP wanting to take the real short odds on making the 9am flight, but it is on ALLEGIANT - and that means he would have to wait for several DAYS to get the next flight out.

I understand wanting to save a few dollars, but this is insanity, IMO.

The above answers are dead on. :)

But the "never" isn't always the case. I fly standby, so, I am not into any money. I have made these early flights, pure chance. (I've also not gotten out until the last flight of the day )

booking that flt would give me a heart attack. I just booked 11:20 with SW and that's making my heart beat fast too. our ship gets in at 7am so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for that. I'm mostly comfortable with 11:20 and that's travelling w/ 4 kids 6 YO and under.

booking that flt would give me a heart attack. I just booked 11:20 with SW and that's making my heart beat fast too. our ship gets in at 7am so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for that. I'm mostly comfortable with 11:20 and that's travelling w/ 4 kids 6 YO and under.

If the 11:20 makes your heart beat fast then why not change it. There is not a penalty changing your flights with Southwest as long as you use the costs of the flight for another one with the time frame they note onthe web site.

Keith

11:20am flight should be fine. He can always call Southwest (or use a Blackberry/iPhone) to change the flight if he thinks he will be late.

Sure, as long as the flights are the same price, and he can find a flight with at least six available seats.

Sure, as long as the flights are the same price, and he can find a flight with at least six available seats.

There you go again....bringing rationality and realism to the party.

Better yet...he can get on the communicator and tell Scotty to beam them home.

Send out Scotty's number and I'll pre-program it for those lovely flight delays.

Why ruin the end of a cruise with such incredible stress?

Maybe they need to get back up to speed with their life.....:eek:...:D

tia

Are you willing to lose your money if you can't make the flight and need to purchase something else that day?

How much was this flight anyway?

There is no chance you will make it.

That's not true. I have gotten off a cruise ship in FLL and been at the airport in time to make an 8:50 am flight. I was scheduled on a later flight, but was there in plenty of time to make the earlier 8:50 flight. So it IS entirely possible.

But, HAVING SAID THAT, I certainly wouldn't recommend it; as others have said, there are entirely too many things that can go wrong, and you don't want to be paying same-day, one-way airfare rates to get home that day on Delta or American or whoever has a seat available.

Archived