Marina's New Dining Spots

sldispatcher

Disclaimer:

#1. Have not yet sailed on Oceania.

#2. Consider our family a "foodie" bunch, but not food snobs

#3. On Transatlantic sailing 1/22/2011

#4. In our early 40's

We are overly excited and have great expectations for our Marina cruise and have been in love with Oceania since I first heard about them. I can tell from this board that many like minded people sail Oceania.

I believe that Oceania is really setting the mark high versus other cruise lines with food and this ship.

For the Experienced Oceania Cruisers (EOC),

#1) do you believe that they will be able to execute all 5 dining room eateries without an issue?

#2) having tried the pan-asian speciality on Eurodam more than once, I personally worry about Red Ginger. I am personally hoping that it leans more towards gourmet Chinese than the run of the mill Thai, Filipino, Vietnamese attempts to appeal to diners....There is a reason there are far more Chinese eateries than the other types in the US as a whole.

However, I probably don't have much to worry about ? :)

#3) for the EOC folks, how would you rank your expectation list for these dining spots...of course, I'm fully expecting #5 to top notch anyway.

MY LIST

#1) Polo Grill

#2) Toscana

#3) Main Dining room

#4) Jacques

#5) Red Ginger (I secretly want this to be #2..but I'm waiting to see more menu items/flavor combinations before I put this at #2)

I think the real surprise is going to be Jacques. Unlike the formalized Le Cordon Bleu French restaurants, Jacques is going to be a French country restaurant where dishes will be simple yet sophisticated, with the unmistakable touch of Jacques Pepin (and his original artwork on the walls).

We (EOC :)) know that Polo will be fantastic, and Toscana will continue in that great Tuscany tradition. Like you, I'm not sure what to expect from Red Ginger, but I do recall emphasis on Asian Fusion, and Thai was mentioned frequently. One thing of which I'm certain is that it will be as good as any Asian restaurant at sea, or FDR will want to know the reason why not -- and fix it.

There is real excitement about the Grand Dining Room, especially the space, which will have a higher ceiling than we expect, and a sweeping vista. Having stood in the bare steel space, with wires and conduits hanging down and the steel skeleton of the ceiling decor in place, I can tell you that the feeling as already Grand.

One surprise we learned at the Float-Out was that each restaurant will have it's own galley, even La Reserve.

The other surprise will be the Terrace Buffet. Larger, more open, and with real out-of-the box thinking for food stations and smooth guest interaction, it will double the appeal of the Terrace.

Finally, don't forget the pool grille, La Reserve 24 seat wine venue and restaurant (which will be really neat, with it's own "patio" space on the deck), Privee', the 10 seat private dining room niched into the space between Polo and Toscana. even better room service, and the 24 station culinary center where guests will get the chance to prepare their own dishes, often from locally purchased food they helped select.

Foodies will think they have died and gone to heaven.

I want to sail on it RIGHT NOW. We will be on the ship July 1 and then on the Regatta on August 26, 2011. The question is, will the Marina spoil us for the Regatta or is heaven followed by almost heaven good enough? LOL

Benita, maybe heaven will be followed by just your own little corner of heaven!:)

I love the small O ships. I'm sure the larger ship will be wonderful too, but twice the number of people with the same number, albeit larger, spaces is going to be a somewhat different experience, I'm sure. Not better, not worse, just different. More people oriented maybe, and CC is doing a good job of introducing passengers to each other.

I am excited about Red Ginger! I'd prefer good Thai, Vietnamese and Indonesian to Chinese, but even better if they offer the best of all Asian cuisines. Asian fusion is generally pretty interesting too, even though very American in it's viewpoint. I also am excited about Jacques - the viewpoint is interesting. I do not especially care for the more stuffy attitude of many French "traditional" restaurants. Hope Jacque's will be different in that way. And of course all the "original" venues are good, each in their own way.

I'm intrigued about your discussion of Terrace, Don. "Interesting food stations." Hmmmmm? Gets me thinking what I would do in that space. Maybe we could promote a "Top Chef" at sea?

Only 6 months until the Maiden Voyage now folks!!!:D In fact we leave home exactly six months from today!!!!!! Can you believe the time is passing so quickly?

Cheers, Kay

Ahh yes the food debate :eek:

It depends on where you've developed your "foodie" senses. Not sure what a food snob is :confused:.

I enjoy well prepared meals, however, IMO no cruise line can approach the experience of a good land based establishment.

Our first experience with O was very disappointing in the GDR, the next cruise the GDR actually did very well indeed and served a steak that was superior to what I had in Polo.

Tapas on the Terrace was outstanding on the first cruise and had a couple missteps on the second cruise - regardless, dining al fresco is wonderful.

Polo on first cruise was okay and I'd say rather disappointing on the next one. Toscana was okay on first cruise and excellent on the next one.

One's expectations can be set rather high given the number that rave about the food on this board. If you go with the expectation of a 3-3.5 star land based establishment you shouldn't be disappointed.

I would be very surprised if any cruise line could consistently produce outstanding meals at every venue every night - stuff happens. So I'd say "no" in response to your question if I believe they will be able to execute all 5 dining room eateries without an issue.

#2. Consider our family a "foodie" bunch, but not food snobs

I believe that Oceania is really setting the mark high versus other cruise

For the Experienced Oceania Cruisers (EOC),

#1) do you believe that they will be able to execute all 5 dining room eateries without an issue?

I agree with almost everything that caribbeansun has said -- an excellent analysis all the way around -- except that I don't think it's fair to compare a ship dining experience to any land-based restaurant. Heck, I've had better baby back ribs at Cowboys BBQ in Okeechobee, and the burgers at Five Guys are better than the burgers at the pool grille.

But, comparing Apples to Apples. I'd say that Oceania will have fewer issues and more consistency that most cruise lines, and perhaps be better than any of them, as many have claimed. For example, I found more exotic and more expensive food on Regent -- caviar (which I don't eat), Wagyu beef and Berkshire pork, for example, but the overall experience was not quite as good, as consistent yet as varied as Oceania.

I have absolutely no concern on the new dining options on board Marina. Oceania has a remarkable record (due to Jacques Pepin and all of the Executive Chefs) of producing nothing but the finest cuisine.

However, and this is just one lonely thought, Regent used to offer an Oriental dining venue, which was not too well received. Red Ginger seems to be headed for something different, and a step above the pack. We will be on board this coming February - and are looking forward to trying them all!!

<SNIP>

#2) having tried the pan-asian speciality on Eurodam more than once, I personally worry about Red Ginger. I am personally hoping that it leans more towards gourmet Chinese than the run of the mill Thai, Filipino, Vietnamese attempts to appeal to diners....There is a reason there are far more Chinese eateries than the other types in the US as a whole.

However, I probably don't have much to worry about ? :)

#3) for the EOC folks, how would you rank your expectation list for these dining spots...of course, I'm fully expecting #5 to top notch anyway.

MY LIST

#1) Polo Grill

#2) Toscana

#3) Main Dining room

#4) Jacques

#5) Red Ginger (I secretly want this to be #2..but I'm waiting to see more menu items/flavor combinations before I put this at #2)

I anticipate Red Ginger will be more pan-Asian as that seems to be a trend but just a guess.

My list:

#1) Jacques

#2) Toscana

#3) Red Ginger

#4) Polo Grill

I did not include the GDR because, as I am not in a suite, I am entitled to a only a couple of reservations in the specialty restaurants and so will be happily dining in the GDR most of the time. Not that I consider the GDR a second-choice by any means at all.

caribbeansun mentioned their visits varied as did ours a little. That said, I am eager to simply be on-board and experience what they have to offer. Keeping expectations in order I am sure each will be great.

Don thanks for reporting with your first hand knowledge. Very pleased to hear about the added spaciousness of the GDR. With a couple of really minor whiney-type things we have always enjoyed our meals in there. The food, service and enjoying the experience with pleasant tablemates punctuated the day perfectly.

6 months today, Kay? Thanks for the reminder it is coming soon - building the anticipation.

-Mark

PS. I sometimes appreciate smaller things. While not not producing highlights like fois gras, caviar, or other 'stars', often overlooked in mentions is their bakery which produces some excellent goods.

I think the real surprise is going to be Jacques. Unlike the formalized Le Cordon Bleu French restaurants, Jacques is going to be a French country restaurant where dishes will be simple yet sophisticated, with the unmistakable touch of Jacques Pepin (and his original artwork on the walls).

And sounds like it fits "the mood" of the ship.

One surprise we learned at the Float-Out was that each restaurant will have it's own galley, even La Reserve.

:D A HUGE plus in my book.

The other surprise will be the Terrace Buffet. Larger, more open, and with real out-of-the box thinking for food stations and smooth guest interaction, it will double the appeal of the Terrace.

They have really put in a lot of thought about what makes people happy for this line...and for the EOC'rs.

Finally, don't forget the pool grille, La Reserve 24 seat wine venue and restaurant (which will be really neat, with it's own "patio" space on the deck), Privee', the 10 seat private dining room niched into the space between Polo and Toscana. even better room service, and the 24 station culinary center where guests will get the chance to prepare their own dishes, often from locally purchased food they helped select.

Haven't forgotten one bit!

I would expect Japanese fine dining among other Asian cuisines, including sushi and rolls, plus a good list of sakis.

The main dining room featured a number of what I'd consider Asian dishes, including some interesting and delicious takes on Indian, Indonesian cuisines. I suspect since a lot of the staff is from that part of the world, there are influences from the home cuisines of the kitchen staff. I did not see any staff from China, however. I'd expect some Chinese but it is so ubiquitous in the U.S. that I'd never choose that as a dinner option on an Oceania cruise.

How will Oceania work the reservation allotments with these two more specialty restaurants, Jacques and Red Ginger, in addition to Polo and Toscana? Will one still get just two specialty reservations if in a less expensive cabin so you will have to choose two of the four?

Here are the Reservation Rules for the Marina from the Oceania website:

Number of reservations:

• Owner's Suite, Vista Suite and Concierge
    10-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant
    18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant
  • Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom
    10-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant
    18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Don

That allocation looks reasonable to me - and I presume you can always ask for more if you wish.

On Nautica and Regatta both, some days they were trying very hard to get people to take one on short notice.

Here are the Reservation Rules for the Marina from the Oceania website:

Number of reservations:

• Owner's Suite, Vista Suite and Concierge
    10-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant
    18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant
  • Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom
    10-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant
    18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Don

Don,

I noticed that the PH category is not listed as such - I would assume it falls into the first group?

Also, these are the "general" O dinning reservation rules - not specific to Marina (as Marina's Oceania suite is not listed). Presumably they will apply to Marina as well, but not necessarily, as there are at least 4 specialty restaurants on Marina and that would give the first category cabins as many as 12 reservations (3X4) on a 18+ day cruise?

Paul

I am thinking the web page outling the reservation allotment is out of date and applies only to non-Marina ships.

Marina has >twice the pax and twice the number of specialty restaurants with similar seating capacity so I expect that this will be reworded from 2 reservations in each to two reservations in one of the speciality restaurants. They may go so far as to say 'unique reservations' to avoid booking the entire allotment in one venue.

That said, I hope I am wrong and will indeed get "1 reservations at each restaurant"

You are right, these Reservation Rules are for the current ships but I assume they will apply to Marina and will include the Oceania and Penthouse Suites. Since we normally are in Concierge Class, I assume we will have 2 x 4 = 12 reservations in the specialty restaurants on our 14 day London Knights cruise next year.

If someone has better info, please let us know.

Don

oceania-marina.jpgAccording to the Marina "Blue Book", which is presently our guide to all things Marina, the specific number of reservations per cabin per cruise does not seem to have been ironed out.

It does seem, however, that because the Suites on Marina have been designed wth larger, more formalized dining arrangements, that in Suite dining from the specialty restaurants will see an increase.

This will, perforce, decrease demand for restaurant reservations, as will the increase in the number of specialties (from two to four), and the vast improvements to the Terrace (which was pretty darned good before).

Being able to dine in La Riserve will also decrease demand on the specialties, but there, it the fees will likely control demand.

Privée will also absorb some of the specialty restaurant reservation volume, but its' small capacity will keep the effect slight.

You are right, these Reservation Rules are for the current ships but I assume they will apply to Marina and will include the Oceania and Penthouse Suites. Since we normally are in Concierge Class, I assume we will have 2 x 4 = 12 reservations in the specialty restaurants on our 14 day London Knights cruise next year.

If someone has better info, please let us know.

Don

2 reservations per restaurant sounds about right, but you might want to rethink your math! :eek:

According to the Marina "Blue Book", which is presently our guide to all things Marina, the specific number of reservations per cabin per cruise does not seem to have been ironed out.

Thanks, Jim, for the answer to my question.

Pam

Fair enough and I agree - unfortunately, not everyone (meaning me) has the depth of experience with other cruise lines to provide a point of reference, therefore I can only, at this point, compare to land based restaurants - but I'm working on it ;)

I don't think it's fair to compare a ship dining experience to any land-based restaurant.

I don't think many people in suites will want to eat dinner in their cabin by themselves very often no matter how nice the cabin is. At least I'm sure we won't. (We may give it a try once.) There just is more to enjoy eating the same food, but in a full busy restaurant.

I don't think many people in suites will want to eat dinner in their cabin by themselves very often no matter how nice the cabin is. At least I'm sure we won't. (We may give it a try once.) There just is more to enjoy eating the same food, but in a full busy restaurant.

We seldom dine in the cabin either, unless we invite another couple in, however, we must consider the "table for two" fanatics here.

If they are using the cruise as "couple time", which is a common theme in the Table for Two threads, then in cabin dining might be a giant incentive......particularly with one of those private Hot Tubs on the veranda :p

126522738907879.jpg

In a butlered suite it is delightful...Especially since you can order from any restaurant and have NO noise.:D

Archived