US To Charge Visitors

ovccruiser

The ESTA is not a visa as such, bonnie charlie, it's for countries like the UK which are part of the visa waiver scheme and it's replacing the old green card which you fill in on arrival and hand over when you leave the US.

It lasts for 2 years and advice I saw in the press today was to apply for it now while it's free, if you're at all likely to be visiting the US in the next 2 years.

Jeez, I cannot believe our government....tax, fee, tax, fee, tax. Oh, and now let's add a tax/fee for the non-voting visitors. I would not blame the VWC at all if they reciprocate and put in a fee for US visitors to come to their countries. It's the EXACT reason why Brazil now charges a huge visa fee to US citizens, it's the same amount that the US charges Brazilians for a visa. We're nuts.

For anyone who thinks they might need the ESTA in the next two years, apply for one now, while it's free.

Unfortunately, cuts have to come from somewhere as long as the demand to reduce the deficit is pushed by politics. Since there are people who have to process the paperwork and the money to pay these people has to come from somewhere. I guess the politicians feel it will be easier to push the cost onto the people visiting the US than through the taxes on the US citizens. Remember, we have one of the lowest tax burdens in the developed world and therefore, the costs are passed on to others, fair or not. I don't like it either but as long as we want lower taxes than people in the UK and other places than we have to accept extra costs here and there. Sad that it has to be passed on to people in other countries though.

I don't want this to turn into a politics thread, but we have had people processing I-94 forms for years before the ESTA went into effect, and never did we charge a fee for either of those. If this is due to a push for deficit reduction, I suggest we look at recent increases in spending, not long-established services.

I don't want this to turn into a politics thread, but we have had people processing I-94 forms for years before the ESTA went into effect, and never did we charge a fee for either of those. If this is due to a push for deficit reduction, I suggest we look at recent increases in spending, not long-established services.

Good luck with that! Never happen 'til we make major changes in Washington DC. We are all likely to be complaining when just about everyone's taxes are going up January 1, which means less money for discretionary spending such as travel.

IMO, other countries will reciprocate and U.S. travelers will pay fees to travel elsewhere..... not that I blame them.

What about countries such as Dominican Republic and Aruba that assess exit fees for foreign travelers? Is that not a tax charged for visiting their countries? We paid that tax to Aruba as long ago as at least 15 years. You have to pay in order to exit.

This kind of thing has been going on for years. Sometimes it makes sense and other times it doesn't (like American's needing a visa to visit Australia). I can't really fault any country for charging a fee for non-citizens to enter due to the extra security and screening required.

I suspect that this is the thin edge of the wedge and other countries will reciprocate in kind. There is a cost to any country in processing visitors and that cost is being downloaded on the user.... in other words a "user fee". I am not condoning it, I think it is short-sighted but governments need to generate cash. For the best part of 20 years now DW and I have paid to be members of NEXUS and its predecessor PACE....there is a cost involved in screening enrolees and that cost, or at least a portion of it, is paid by them.

Unfortunately, cuts have to come from somewhere as long as the demand to reduce the deficit is pushed by politics. Since there are people who have to process the paperwork and the money to pay these people has to come from somewhere. I guess the politicians feel it will be easier to push the cost onto the people visiting the US than through the taxes on the US citizens. Remember, we have one of the lowest tax burdens in the developed world and therefore, the costs are passed on to others, fair or not. I don't like it either but as long as we want lower taxes than people in the UK and other places than we have to accept extra costs here and there. Sad that it has to be passed on to people in other countries though.

Except that the article states: "The fee has been introduced to fund a programme which aims to promote tourism in the US and attract foreign spending."

I'm not sure on what planet that makes sense -- we want to encourage people to visit so let's start charging them to do so?

I don't have a particular problem paying £10 for the ESTA - if that is, that is all that is required for travel. However, I travelled to the US in May and despite having an ESTA I still had to complete the green visa waiver form. So, what exactly is the point of it?

That, and hours spent clearing US immigration - complete with their very unpleasant attitude- makes me really think twice about visiting America again any time soon I'm afraid.

The US is not the only country to charge fees to foreigners. I've paid out hundreds of dollars in either entry or exit fees. It's the way of the world.

Why does it take hours to get through US Immigration, unless they suspect a problem? But believe me, we ALL have to put up with surly agents. I've met my share in the UK.

Hello,

I guess no one out there wants to pay taxes. Please go visit the nearest VA hospital and tell the patients that you don't give a darn about their injuries or illnesses. Then visit the nearest airport and inform the air traffic controllers that any moron can do their jobs for minumum wage. And please do not forget to visit the nearest FBI office and tell them that you are in favor of outsourcing their jobs to India.

My personal favorite...the next time your boat gets in any kind of trouble off of Galveston or Charleston South Carolina, don't call the US Coast Guard, call your friends at the Tea Party headquarters.

I don't have a particular problem paying £10 for the ESTA - if that is, that is all that is required for travel. However, I travelled to the US in May and despite having an ESTA I still had to complete the green visa waiver form. So, what exactly is the point of it?

That, and hours spent clearing US immigration - complete with their very unpleasant attitude- makes me really think twice about visiting America again any time soon I'm afraid.

Perhaps if you were to experience the non-UK, non-EU lines (and the personnel staffing them) at Heathrow, the way I have to on my annual visits to England, you might realize that the US is not the only country that is less than warm, courteous and welcoming to foreign visitors.

Yes I do want to go to the USA next year, but no plans have been made yet and looking at the online form they want to know where you will be staying, well I don't know yet, will I have to leave it until I do

I'm not sure if the flight no. & destination address is checked at the point of application for an Esta, but you could just risk it & apply online (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov), putting any old (valid) flight no. & address. Once it has been approved (immediately, in my experience) it is very easy to change your details. We had Estas last year for a cruise then I had a new passport so changed the form on-line in time for a trip to US this September, changing our flight & address at the same time. Perhaps it is only new applications that incur a fee - not sure. Looking at my Esta form, there is no mention of a travel date, only carrier & flight number so you should be ok. I hope this is helpful - it looks a bit waffley to me!

Archived