Where to stay Ft Lauderdale Precruise HAL

grammie2maddie

We have stayed at the Renaissance before, great hotel with a beautiful pool and wonderful beds. We have also stayed at the Embassy, and it was great too (with free breakfast if I am not mistaken). Good location, and very close to Publix (grocery store), Walgreens, and lots of shops and restaurants. These 2 hotels are just minutes from the pier. There is a FABULOUS italian bistro with wood oven pizza's and amazing sandwhiches across the street. We eat there everytime we sail from FLL.

We have also stayed at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66, which is still on 17th, but is over the bridge down towards FLL beach. Really nice hotel, and very close to the water taxi (to get around town), but a little pricey. All in all it was very worth it. The pool area is gorgeous, and the beds are amazing. It is also very close to the pier, and if you request a room in the tower facing Port Everglades, you can wake up early in the morning and watch your ship come in! Awesome way to wake up! :D

Do you remember the name of the italian bistro? Thanks.

We went on the Noordam, out of FLL last December. I used Priceline and I got the Rennesiance for $103 all taxes included. Their website, hotels.com, expedia, and orbitz wanted almost $220. It's a wonderful hotel with a great location.

We are going on Celebrity in December and I used Priceline.com to get the Crowne Plaza airport/cruise (not to be confused with the Crowne Plaza Hollywood or the one at Sawgrass) for $97 tax included. The best I could find elsewhere was $206.

The kicker is that you don't know what hotel you got until your bid was accepted and you credit card is charged.

We could have gotten nice hotels for less, but we don't stay in hotels much and this gave us a shot at a 4 star property for a reasonable price.

Has anyone used Priceline to get one of these hotels? If yes...what was your bidding experience.

We like the Tower Rooms at Hyatt Pier 66 and, therefore, always book direct with the hotel to get the room type we want. If you bid, one has to assume there is a possibility you could get a Lanai Room. I might add that many people request those rooms as they are poolside and from what I've heard, very nice. I don't wish to risk not having our Tower Room as I like the Port Everglades view.

You might call the hotel and ask if Priceline rooms are Lanai Rooms and if that is okay with you, great. There is nothing wrong with them that I know of just not what we want.

Is the Embassy Suites everyone is talking about the one on 1100 SE 17th Street? Thats where we are booked next March. If it is, you say there are many places to eat around the area close to the hotel?

Ft Lauderdale Harbor Shops off 17th Street Causeway on Cordova Road

Publix

Angela's Beauty Stuff

Angelo's Pizza & Pasta

Bluewater Books

Charts

The Car Store

Carvel Ice Cream

Coco Asian Bistro & Bar

Natural Chicken Grill

The Red Zone Sports Bar & Grill

Tropical Smoothie

Blue Water Books & Charts

Boaters World

Charlie's Locker

Daja Boutique

E B Garnes

Essentials Boutique

J'Seas Clothing

Hallmark

Harbor Cove Jewelers

Harlequin Decor

Global Satellites

La Kasbah

Let's Talk Cellular

Nature's Remedy

Sprint Superstore

Total Wine & More

XTreme Yacht Products

American Home Mortage

Cavendish White Yacht Brokers

Cellular Masters & Beepers

ERA Oceanside

Harbor Breeze & Dry Cleaners

Pakmail

Washington Mutual Bank

Curves

Great Clips

Jacques Dessange Salon & Spa

Nails Port

Payless Shoes

Firehouse Subs

Moe's Southwestern Grill

5 Guys Burgers & Fries

R J Gator's Grill & Bar

I always wonder why some experienced, well traveled people say they like Embassy Suites and then others say they had a horrible stay and will never return.

Why is it so inconsistent?

If we were to have a reason to try other than Hyatt Pier 66, it makes me nervous to even consider going there. I don't want to be one of those "I'll never go there again". Some of those stating their displeasure are credible, well known posters who travel/cruise often and have a high level of credibility.

Any idea the problem?

We stayed at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. It was beautiful and spotless, and I can be a bit of a germaphobe. We ate at the Casablanca Cafe which is just a couple of blocks away. The downside is that they don't have any transfers to the port. We took a cab from the hotel to the port for about $15.00

Has anyone used Priceline to get one of these hotels? If yes...what was your bidding experience.

Yes, we used priceline for both our Renaissance stay and the Embassy. I think i ended up getting the Embassy for $120 a night, and the Renaissance for $105, or $110 (taxes not included). The regular room rates were almost $200, so we managed to save a little bit.

If you are a good priceline user and understand how it works, it is quite easy. :)

Do you remember the name of the italian bistro? Thanks.

The restaurant is called Giorgio's Brick Oven Pizza. Here is a picture of the outside. The food is wonderful, and good sized portions at a great price! Like I said, it is a must visit when we are in FLL. I think I need to book another cruise leaving from FLL soon, lol... :p

They are located at

1499 SE 17th St

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

(954) 767-8300

Giorgios.jpg.e4badd335cb9e41d0427ed974976a761.jpg

We've stayed several places from the Renaissance to the Hyatt to the Embassy Suites to a couple of Marriotts. We like Pier 66 but this coming March we'll be staying in the Hilton Marina. Mrs. K has advanced to the top rewards status with Hilton because of her business trips so she called them and they made a reservation for a suite upgrade for the basic room rate we just couldn't refuse. Supposedly it faces south so we'll be able to see the cruise terminals Monday morning before be go to the Maasdam. That'll help me as I get excited and will be up at the crack of dawn or before, assuming we can see the terminal, to see if I can catch the Maasdam coming in. Makes Mrs. K happy as I won't be bugging her like a little kid with the "Are you awaken yet???" at 6 AM. :o

Courtyard Marriott on the Beach.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllco-courtyard-fort-lauderdale-beach/

It used to be the Doubletree a few years back, I think...

...and although the rooms are a bit smaller they're much newer and the view from every room is fantastic - and it's Smoke-Free!

(A major issue for me at the Embassy Suites - That place literally stank to the high heavens!)

Courtyard Marriott on the Beach.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllco-courtyard-fort-lauderdale-beach/

It used to be the Doubletree a few years back, I think...

...and although the rooms are a bit smaller they're much newer and the view from every room is fantastic - and it's Smoke-Free!

(A major issue for me at the Embassy Suites - That place literally stank to the high heavens!)

Maybe a stupid question, but does this have a view of the port? The only hotels I'm familiar with that have this view, is the Hyatt Pier 66 and Hilton Marina.

Thanks!

The Bravo is a teriffic restaurant. The last time I was in FLL I booked a Lanai room at Pier 66 and got upgraded to the Tower when I got there. The time I stayed at the Renaissance about three or four years ago, I lucked out and got it through Priceline. However, I like the old WaterTaxi so much that I go to the place where I can either have access to it or walk to where it is.

I always wonder why some experienced, well traveled people say they like Embassy Suites and then others say they had a horrible stay and will never return.

Why is it so inconsistent?

If we were to have a reason to try other than Hyatt Pier 66, it makes me nervous to even consider going there. I don't want to be one of those "I'll never go there again". Some of those stating their displeasure are credible, well known posters who travel/cruise often and have a high level of credibility.

Any idea the problem?

I've never been able to understand the differences either. I want a clean room and comfortable bed and anything else is frosting on the cake.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in March of this year and enjoyed it. The interior area of the hotel is beautiful - as is the outside area with a koi pond and pool. Our room was very nice - living area with TV, desk, TV and bedroom with another TV. We ate at E-spot restaurant because the weather wasn't nice - great food in my opinion. Not cheap but after spending the day in airports and on planes I thought we deserved a treat. We got our dessert to go. I made coffee, we got ready for bed and sat in bed watching TV and eating cheesecake. A great start for our vacation.

We looked at the Hyatt but decided on the Embassy Suites because of the shopping opportunity close by and the complimentary cooked to order breakfast - which was also very good. All of the usual stuff, pastries, bagels, fruit, cereal, juice, but also scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and cooked to order omelets.

The wait for the elevator was sometimes a bit long but they were in the process of upgrading so that couldn't be helped. They were pretty full because of the snowstorms in the north east - quite a few canceled flights. We just made sure we started out in plenty of time in the morning since everyone else was checking out too - but all that takes is a little planning. We used their shuttle to go to the port - $7 per person I think (I'm not one who insists on a "free" shuttle).

Anyway, I can recommend the Embassy Suites. I'm sure we'll stay there the next time we cruise out of Port Everglades.

I do not recommend the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina aka Hilton Grande. It was extremely dirty, loud, and crowded. Here is my detailed review of our pre-night there earlier this year...

We stayed at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina, across from Port Everglades. On our 3 previous HAL cruises out of FL, we stayed at the Marriott Hollywood Beach via HAL and loved it (clean, classy, roomy, comfortable, on the beach). We were told they no longer have a contract with them, so that is why we went along with the Hilton. The Hilton is literally across the street from Port Everglades. You could see some of the cruise ships already there. Upon arrival, our bags were put on a cart with another group’s. We were told they would be delivered later to our room. I wanted our bags right away so I could change and freshen up, so we took them ourselves. At every hotel we have ever stayed at they bring your bags up and show you to your room. This wasn’t the case here. The other party’s bags were left completely unsupervised in the open just inside the building, which I found rather unsettling and was glad we decided to take ours. I also noticed there didn’t seem to be any air conditioning in the main lobby – it was hotter inside than it was outside. The people working the front desk were visibly sweating and flushed. We were given our room key and a map showing how to get to our room. Our room was in the (older) East Villas, 3rd room to the very end on the 2nd floor. We had to go outside twice and through three buildings to get there. After entering the first building on the way there we smelled extreme chlorine which we assumed was from the pool outside. It was so strong it hurt my sinuses. When we entered the 2nd building there were workers with respiratory masks on using some strong chemicals that smelled like a cross between nail polish remover, paint thinner, and epoxy to remove paint and stains from the walls and doors - which were badly marked up and dirty. This made me extremely nauseous and gave me an instant headache. It was unbearable. I had to cover my nose & mouth and move through there fast. My husband also complained about the strong smell and got a headache. When we arrived in our building, luckily there was no chemical or chlorine smell. We entered our room and immediately noticed there were major holes & chips in the wall, big stains & sticky spots on the carpet, spots on the bedding, and stains on the tables. The crowded pool was right outside our room and you could hear and feel the base from the loud music being played. The bathroom looked like it had never been cleaned with dirt & stains on the shower floor, sink, toilet, and counter. Black hairs were all over the sink, shower floor, and toilet. The bathroom doorknob was hanging, about to fall off any moment. There were smudges on the drinking glasses, windows, mirror, and remote. I always travel with disposable gloves and Wet Wipes & Clorox wipes and wipe everything down, but this was beyond dirty. We called the front desk and told them the problem and politely asked if we could get a clean room. They said they could move us to the next building. I said I did not want to be in the building with the chemical cleaners being used, they said that was all they had. My husband went to go talk to the on-site HAL rep (which I must mention - she was extremely nice) and the hotel manager. In the meantime the front desk called to say “for an additional $30-$50 we could get a clean room in the (newer) tower”. I told them we would not pay more for a clean room! She then offered to put us one floor up, but I told her my husband was already talking to the manager. He came back with 2 free drink cards and a room key to a room in the tower on the 5th floor. We entered that room and noticed big stains on the floor and what looked like a blood stain on one of the comforters! But at least the 2nd bed & everything else looked clean(er). So I wiped everything down and we enjoyed the much improved (& quiet) view of the intracoastal highway, downtown Ft Lauderdale in the distance, and the mansions across the harbor. The air conditioner didn’t seem to work well and it never got very cool in our room - luckily we were facing North & away from the sun.

We asked concierge to call us a cab – we wanted to go to the pharmacy to get some things. We were told to “just walk there” – it is like a long city block away. We knew this, however we were buying a case of bottled water (I do not like the taste of the water onboard), a 6 pack of Gatorade, an 8 pack of bottled soda, sun block, shampoo, lotion, and a few other things and could not carry it all back across the busy highway, under the bridge, and down the street. So they called the cab they use/keep in their lot for their customers. We told him we wanted him to wait and take us back and he repeated he would wait and take us back. After purchasing our items, we went outside and he was not there! We weren’t sure what to do, so we waited, thinking maybe he would come back, but he did not. We called information to get the number for the Hilton Marina. Were told 3 times there is no such place! WTH!?! We gave the exact address and were told there is no Hilton there. Finally someone told us locally it is called the Hilton Grande even though it is not listed as such anywhere we could find; on their website, on our travel papers, etc. We got the number and called them; eventually they sent their shuttle - and then charged us $5!!

We ordered dinner from the Italian restaurant down the street, Vito’s Gourmet, which was really good (salad, baked ravioli, penne in a pink vodka sauce, garlic rolls, tiramisu, and cannoli) - although the Hilton charged us $2 to make a 1 minute local call to them. In the morning we ordered room service and although pricey, we were impressed with the food & the quantity - which did arrive timely & hot. One breakfast could truly feed up to 4 people. We only ordered one breakfast ($40+) and could not finish it. I took a shower and the water pressure was horrible. It was a neat shower with an unusual thingy in the ceiling, so the water trickled out like gentle rain from above, but it was very hard to rinse out shampoo and took a long time. There was no fan or vent in the bathroom, so it was extremely hot and steamy in there even though I showered with cool water, and once you opened the doors, it made the entire room with barely working air even warmer.

In the morning the entire lobby, outside deck, bar, etc. was filled with hundreds of cruisers & their luggage from Royal Caribbean (only 15 for HAL). Apparently RC gives you a free pre-night room here, and there were 2 RC ships, including The Oasis of the Seas, sailing the same day. The Hilton just is not up to par with other hotels we booked through HAL. I hope they go back to using the Hollywood Beach Marriott. Since we paid the same amount as the Marriott, we expect the same cleanliness, courtesy, and comfort. I would never stay at this Hilton again. I’d rate the Hilton a 2 since it was very dirty, pricey, hot, and the staff rude. I’ve been at smaller budget hotels that were 100% better.

The restaurant is called Giorgio's Brick Oven Pizza. Here is a picture of the outside. The food is wonderful, and good sized portions at a great price! Like I said, it is a must visit when we are in FLL. I think I need to book another cruise leaving from FLL soon, lol... :p

They are located at

1499 SE 17th St

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

(954) 767-8300

thanks. sounds great. will try. think it will fit a party of 12 (6 adults + 6 kids)?

I work near the port, and I see many folks have endorsed the Embassy Suites as a good place to stay on 17th Street. As for the restaurants, the Italian Bistro is called Giorgios. There's also a great Asian restaurant called Cocos in the Harbor Shops on the same side of the street as the hotel. Also, Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza on Federal Highway is a great spot for pizza, and Ernies is an inexpensive pub that has the best conch chowder, bimini bread, and good barbecue beef and pork.

I just got a room at the Renaissance for February and paid $160 (not including taxes, etc.) I wish now I had placed a lower bid.

We have stayed there several times and it is a cheap taxi ride to the pier. Be careful of booking a hotel on the other side of the bridge, it goes up about every half hour and if you are in a taxi, the meter keeps ticking. Last March the bridge got stuck and stayed that way for about an hour. I couldn't help thinking of those people stuck in a taxi en route to the port.

The Renaissance lounge is very pricey. A Tanguery & tonic cost about $14. Got the same drink, but actually bigger, at a nearby restaurant for about $7.

We are going on Celebrity in December and I used Priceline.com to get the Crowne Plaza airport/cruise (not to be confused with the Crowne Plaza Hollywood or the one at Sawgrass) for $97 tax included. The best I could find elsewhere was $206.

We are also staying at the Crowne Plaza in November and again in December. Their website says they are FLL newest hotel and their pics certainly look nice. Let's hope! :)

I do not recommend the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina aka Hilton Grande. It was extremely dirty, loud, and crowded. Here is my detailed review of our pre-night there earlier this year...

I was considering the Hilton in lieu of the Hyatt, just to try something new and especially since the room prices are a tad lower. I think I'll just stick with the Hyatt Pier66, as the hotel and staff have always been wonderful.....Thanks for that review!

On our 3 previous HAL cruises out of FL, we stayed at the Marriott Hollywood Beach via HAL and loved it (clean, classy, roomy, comfortable, on the beach). /quote]

Loved the Marriott Hollywood Beach Hotel. Great location, great views, and it was wonderful to start out the cruise with a nice afternoon and evening right on the beach. Could have done without the food poisoning I got from the hotel restaurant though. :( Reading your comments about the Hilton Marina have me concerned though. Mrs. K is on a business trip and I'll share that with her when she returns. As a Hilton Platinum Rewards Member she gets awfully nice treatment but a cruddy hotel is a cruddy hotel and no perks make up for that.

I work near the port, and I see many folks have endorsed the Embassy Suites as a good place to stay on 17th Street. As for the restaurants, the Italian Bistro is called Giorgios. There's also a great Asian restaurant called Cocos in the Harbor Shops on the same side of the street as the hotel. Also, Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza on Federal Highway is a great spot for pizza, and Ernies is an inexpensive pub that has the best conch chowder, bimini bread, and good barbecue beef and pork.

What about Bimini Boatyard? How is that place with the new owners? We were there just after they took over and it was awful but it was in transtion to new ownership.

Thanks if you can help.

Archived