Your Favoruite Way to Find Cheap Cruises?

AJJ8

I agree with Keith. I have an excellent TA from a large discount agency on-line. She has my dream list and also knows what I am NOT interested in (usually no Carib. or MR unless it is a ship I want to experience). I also watch several on-line discount agency and if I see something interesting take it to the TA. If she can't match it she will tell me but then that also alerts me that I need to be really sure of what I am getting in "my deal". Alot of the huge ads are to get your interest and the actual price is something else. I want all my quotes to be "out the door" and I consider insurance part of the package. Then I decide if I can swing the cost. Also consider before booking the other costs. For example often cheapish cruises from Australia to NZ but when you put in airfare you have more than doubled the cost of the cruise. A good TA will help you make sure that you actually have a good deal. Also a cruise line with everything included (in our case shore excursions since we do not drink alchol but if you like wine etc the cost of drinks is a bigger factor) might look more expensive but in out the door costs (or after the cruise real price) might actually be less. Part of the fun of travel.

I agree with Keith. I have an excellent TA from a large discount agency on-line. She has my dream list and also knows what I am NOT interested in (usually no Carib. or MR unless it is a ship I want to experience). I also watch several on-line discount agency and if I see something interesting take it to the TA. If she can't match it she will tell me but then that also alerts me that I need to be really sure of what I am getting in "my deal". Alot of the huge ads are to get your interest and the actual price is something else. I want all my quotes to be "out the door" and I consider insurance part of the package. Then I decide if I can swing the cost. Also consider before booking the other costs. For example often cheapish cruises from Australia to NZ but when you put in airfare you have more than doubled the cost of the cruise. A good TA will help you make sure that you actually have a good deal. Also a cruise line with everything included (in our case shore excursions since we do not drink alchol but if you like wine etc the cost of drinks is a bigger factor) might look more expensive but in out the door costs (or after the cruise real price) might actually be less. Part of the fun of travel.

Do you know which lines these are?

We have an excellent TA whose company books groups of cabins so in 95% of the instances we have the best price available. However if his price drops then he passes the savings on and if we happen to find a lower price on-line he matches or beats it.

Not sure what all inclusive. We have taken several river cruises which have all inclusive features and I believe that some like Silversea do also. A TA or a search on Cruise Critic might give you other lines as will this thread if you give it a little time. International Expeditions (Amazon River) and Majesty and Cruise West (Snake River Alaska) and Viking (Europe/China) and Uniworld (Europe/Asia) are some that might be inclusive.

Another way is to sign up with individual cruise lines to get email specials. I receive them from Princess, Holland America, and Celebrity. Some of them allow you to tailor the special you receive to the cruises that fit you best in terms of how much notice they give you, length of cruise, and departure port.

But generally, I haven't found any deals we could take advantage of that way. What usually happens is we decide when we can take a cruise, and then I start looking at what is available in our price range.

Did this for the first time this year...we were able to keep June fairly clear, and kept checking on sites. Got a last minute one to N. Spain and France, at a price I never admitted to anyone on board.......:rolleyes:

Jo.

last 4 cruises i have used a TA and no other places i have found have come close to the price we have gotten so we are VERY PLEASED and will CONTINUE using them:)

i always do check the cruiseline site also to get a comparison-but would rather book with the TA who gives WONDERFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE;)

I don't think "cheap" and "cruise' belong in the same sentence. But, as a general rule, the first week of Dec, and the first week of Jan, are less expensive for most Caribbean cruises. Early May and late Sept are less expensive for the Alaskan and Baltic cruises. And anytime kids are out of school is the most expensive.

Hey All,

I'm far from what they would call wealthy or well off and I want to cruise often.

What methods do you use to find cheap cruises?

As of 8/1/10 the online websites cannot under price what the cruise lines are charging for the same cabin. I believe this now covers all the major cruise lines. What the web site that we use is doing to maintain our business is offer OBC. Just booked a cruise with Celebrity for March. The cabin price was the same whether using our TA, Celebrity web site or cruise web site. The cruise web site, however, got our business with a $350 OBC! The trick is to just keep searching around until you find the best deal. We actually have gotten the best deal with our TA several times because of military discount for veterans.

Archived