the famous "beef cheeks"

JeffCoud

We took a chance and ordered the beef cheeks (well Mom did). Taste was ok, kind of like a Yankee pot roast. "Mouth feel" of the "meat" was a bit off though I thought, a tiny bit spongy. Don't think I'd try again! But here's what they look like!

http://gallery.mac.com/jeffcoud?view=detail#100292/IMG_0032_2&bgcolor=black

Jeff

We took a chance and ordered the beef cheeks (well Mom did). Taste was ok, kind of like a Yankee pot roast. "Mouth feel" of the "meat" was a bit off though I thought, a tiny bit spongy. Don't think I'd try again! But here's what they look like!

http://gallery.mac.com/jeffcoud?view=detail#100292/IMG_0032_2&bgcolor=black

Jeff

Jeff, beef cheeks seem to be the trendy food item of the week/month/year. We've seen them all over menus in DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Manhattan. ;)

I had beef cheeks in Germany a few years ago, and it was a bit like a pot roast. The meat was tender and I thought it had a pretty good taste. One piece I had was a little too fatty, though, so I didn't quite finish all of it, but the leaner cuts were great.

Jeff, beef cheeks seem to be the trendy food item of the week/month/year. We've seen them all over menus in DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Manhattan. ;)

They're showing up on menus for a good reason -- restaurants and the cruise ships in down economic times are doing the same thing...economizing! Who ever heard of a skirt steak for example 10 years ago?? Nothing wrong with economizing, but it is what it is!

Jeff

They are becoming a popular menu item here in the UK too and on sale in some of our premium supermarkets and foodstores. I have had it recently and thoroughly enjoyed them - at least it is meat with good flavour and texture unlike some mass-produced meat nowadays. I would thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks for the pics - really enjoyed your album. How did your find your experience on Summit. RS sure looks beautiful. We are "only" in a Sky Suite but hope to enjoy the afternoon tea trolley. What types of treats were available?

Having lived in suiteland, I can tell you that the same treats are available to the great unwashed up in the buffet around 4 p.m. Of course you have to serve yourself up there. :D There will be small sandwiches and deserts.

They're showing up on menus for a good reason -- restaurants and the cruise ships in down economic times are doing the same thing...economizing! Who ever heard of a skirt steak for example 10 years ago?? Nothing wrong with economizing, but it is what it is!

Jeff

I live in California and here beef cheeks is not considered an economical cut at all. Just the opposite; it is considered a delicacy. My DH loves special tacos made with beef cheek meat and they are only served on weekends, there are lines at the taqueria for them and they always run out!

when I told my friends I'd be making this dish, nearly everyone giggled or snerked when I said the words "beef cheeks." No, not because they thought I was talking about butt cheeks (what are you, 12? Pot, meet kettle.), but because the words "beef cheeks" are inherently fun to say. C'mon, try it. Beef cheeks. There, now don't you feel better? After the giggling subsided, my friends then suggested that we try and find someone we can nickname Beef Cheeks, or perhaps make it a more generic call-out. Like instead of "Duuuuude!" it'd be "Beeeeef Cheeeeks!" Yeah, I don't think it works, either. Or, we thought perhaps replacing "Shawty" with "Beef Cheeks" in hip-hop/rap lyrics might be fun. To wit:

from

http://carolcookskeller.blogspot.com/2008/03/tongue-in-cheek-braised-beef-cheeks-and.html

I live in California and here beef cheeks is not considered an economical cut at all. Just the opposite; it is considered a delicacy. My DH loves special tacos made with beef cheek meat and they are only served on weekends, there are lines at the taqueria for them and they always run out!

???where do you live? If the taqueria you refer to is in Santa Barbara I,do like to try them. I love all the "strange" foods like brains, lips, tongue that are served in Mexican restaurants.:D

The only time I ever had beef cheeks was at Iron Chef Micheal Symon's restaurant Lola. And they were delicious!:)

Yes I think they are trendy, like pork belly. Which I also tried recently and discovered that i liked it very much.

???where do you live? If the taqueria you refer to is in Santa Barbara I,do like to try them. I love all the "strange" foods like brains, lips, tongue that are served in Mexican restaurants.:D

These tacos are served in Super Taqueria which is a chain of taquerias in California and it sports a logo with the letter "S" in a superman-like emblem. I am not sure if this taqueria is located in Santa Barbara but you could do an Internet search and check. You could also check any other taqueria and see if they carry this beef as I have learned it is quite popular within the Mexican community.

These tacos are served in Super Taqueria which is a chain of taquerias in California and it sports a logo with the letter "S" in a superman-like emblem. I am not sure if this taqueria is located in Santa Barbara but you could do an Internet search and check. You could also check any other taqueria and see if they carry this beef as I have learned it is quite popular within the Mexican community.

Thanks George. Do you happen to know the Spanish term for this cut of meat?

Archived