Do you tell everyone you are going on a Princess Cruise?

MattOsprey

I tell people who "need to know" - co-workers and family. I have gotten the snide comments like "How can you afford to go on a cruise once a year?" This came from a co-worker who bought 2 iced coffees every day at Starbucks. Another co-worker who resented my annual cruise went out to lunch every day, and took her family of 4 out for dinner several times a week!! I guess it boils down to priorities - I would rather brown-bag it and skip the restaurants and $5 coffees in order to afford a cruise. Fortunately, I recently retired so I don't have to listen to these people anymore (and they don't have to listen to me about my cruise:D........)

I don't wish anyone ill will and I do feel sorry for those who may be struggling financially but because they are, does that mean I can't brag,to my friends, about my pending plans. Why must we be so politically correct with every single thing we do in our lives.....

Bob

Agree 100% Bob:)

A lot of our friends enjoy cruising, or understand that we love it. So, a lot of the times the question will be "When/where's the next one?" and they genuinely want to hear about our plans. I am glad we have cruising friends to discuss cruises with, but understand that not everyone wants to hear about it or is interested.

Other than that, I only talk about it if I am asked directly how my vacation/cruise was or if a coworker is planning a cruise and needs some advice. (Yes, I am the go-to cruise consultant at work!) If not asked, I tend not to mention the cruises until they're coming up, because I don't want to be seen as bragging or make others uncomfortable.

And if asked...I would never feel the need to say that it was a Princess cruise. I would just say that I was going on a cruise.

When I first saw this thread, I thought that the OP was asking specifically about naming the cruise line - sort of like word-of-mouth advertising. In that case, I would tell someone about Princess if they asked for specifics about a cruise.

DH and I don't typically broadcast our trips to many folks, but the folks at his office would know, our emergency contact knows the specifics of flight info/itinerary, etc., and we usually ask a neighbor to keep an eye on our house while we're away.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

We are embarking on our 22nd Princess cruise in a few weeks, have one very extensive and long trip to Hawaii(not a cruise) and have a cruise to Alaska booked all within the next 11 months. Would I tell anyone or brag? Nope don't want to hear the the bull that people throw out. Only immediate family needs to know. And they don't even know about all of the trips yet.

This will be our first Princess Cruise. We do tell our kids and some people at work. We originally booked a balcony guarantee on Baja, but changed our mind and are doing a mini, D725. We are expecting to see a major difference from our past experiences on Carnival. It has been 7 years since we have been to Alaska. Add the 5 day land portion this time and we are really excited. :)

I don't have to brag anymore ....my family and friends now just ask "so where are you going next?" :D

hahahahahahah.... me, too!!! Everyone at work just defaults to, "so when is your NEXT CRUISE?" as opposed to "where are you going on vacation?" So what if I'm addicted; it's harmless and fun and now the folks at the office all come to me to get them great cruise deals, too!

I tell people who "need to know" - co-workers and family. I have gotten the snide comments like "How can you afford to go on a cruise once a year?" This came from a co-worker who bought 2 iced coffees every day at Starbucks. Another co-worker who resented my annual cruise went out to lunch every day, and took her family of 4 out for dinner several times a week!! I guess it boils down to priorities - I would rather brown-bag it and skip the restaurants and $5 coffees in order to afford a cruise. Fortunately, I recently retired so I don't have to listen to these people anymore (and they don't have to listen to me about my cruise:D........)

Same here. I brown bag and we eat out maybe once a week. That gives us the means to cruise. Bring coffe from home.

I don't have to brag anymore ....my family and friends now just ask "so where are you going next?" :D

Same here but with a twist. We are life long sailors and with another sailor couple have taken many two-week sailing trip, bare boating in the BVI and around the Caribbean in the 80s and 90s. Our friends have seen our videos and pictures of those adventures.

Since bare boating involves doing the sailing, which we took pleasure in, our wives were always bickering about having to cook three meal a day, cleaning up, etc.

When I turned 67 in 1999 I hoped to please my better half by booking a cruise, no cooking, no cleaning up, etc. and she liked it. Now we are going on our tenth cruise in November and for ten years I loved it but have listen to her bickering, "We can't go where we want, anchor at any bay, go overboard to swim or dive down to pluck a lobster or two for supper, etc.

Now to the subject: our friends who know all about our cruising keep asking, "when are you going sailing in the BVI next?".

...Ott

Brown bag means taking your lunch to work, right? :confused:

Yes...

I enjoy learning expressions used in other countries (and other portions of our own). Sometimes I run across one and look at the poster's info to see where they're from, but it's not listed. I'm always disappointed to not see at least the country listed.

Yes...

I enjoy learning expressions used in other countries (and other portions of our own). Sometimes I run across one and look at the poster's info to see where they're from, but it's not listed. I'm always disappointed to not see at least the country listed.

Thanks. I too enjoy learning all the different words and phrases. I worry posters will be fed up of me asking :eek:.

hahahahahahah.... me, too!!! Everyone at work just defaults to, "so when is your NEXT CRUISE?" as opposed to "where are you going on vacation?" So what if I'm addicted; it's harmless and fun and now the folks at the office all come to me to get them great cruise deals, too!
I have the same thiing happening to me at my company. It is no longer "what are you doing on vacation?" but "when is your next cruise and where are you going THIS TIME?" Quite frankly many people are jealous of our choice in vacation, and tend to live somehat vicariously through our experience.

I work for a major computer company and our building has conference rooms named after Caribbean and Pacific islands. When I was rattling off the islands we'll visit in December it was suggested I take a picture of each island to post on the conference room door.

Sounds like a challenge to me :D.

I also get the request for showing trip pictures afterward, and totally "wowed" my department showing our Rome/Athens/Ephesus/Egypt pictures. They think I live a charmed life, and being able to afford cruising, I do. :)

Somewhere when talking I usually manage to drop the fact my house will be safe with family members and big dogs guarding...;)

We met a man on a cruise once who was the boss of a building company.

He told his men that he was taking two weeks in a caravan as he didn`t want to tell them he was going on a cruise.

He was worried they might get jealous and ask for a pay rise.

No, I don't tell people at work..only if they ask. I work with a large group, upwards of 70 or more and some know me well and will ask, 'where are you going this year?' and then I will reply. But, unless they ask, I don't tell.

Archived