Do you tell everyone you are going on a Princess Cruise?

MattOsprey

I am always excited about my upcoming cruise (always like to have 1 or 2 in the hopper), but I know there are folks that don't want to hear about it because they can't afford to take any type of vacation (either the cash or the time off). If someone who knows asks me, then I do share, but otherwise keep it on the down low.

I say be proud you can afford to cruise! This comes from "married with children... and grandchildren"... It took us 26 years to be able to afford to take our first cruise, and another 9 years to take our second (just last March!).

We're proud and happy that we are FINALLY able to do a few things and "Oh, hell yes!" we're excited enough to talk about it with whoever might show an interest! We don't blurt it out for no reason, but if it works into a conversation then we aren't shy or embarrased about letting our excitement show!

I understand that many cannot afford any kind of luxury at this time, but for us it's "hey, been there, done that!" and who knows how much longer WE'LL be able to do so... you just never know about finances, health, etc., so we definitely let our happiness and excitement show!

We've decided that as long as the money and health holds for us to do so, we'll take a cruise once a year, no matter what! Life's too short... especially when you get well past that 50 mark!

Can't wait till next March... and we're already looking and planning what trip to book while on the ship... so much to see... so little time... :D

Well.. You could tell them a thing or three!! ;) :D

I've tried! I got fed up of defending cruising so I don't bother anymore.

They think it's all formal gowns and stuffy dining. :rolleyes:

They don't know what they are missing :D

Nope, don't talk about it much anymore. That is why I come here!! So I can anticipate and talk about my cruises with you wonderful, like-minded people. Since we have started cruising frequently I have become weary of the "Another cruise?" comments with the :rolleyes: I get from some friends, family and co-workers. So I pretty much keep it to myself and save the chat for the Cruise Critic boards!

Great plan

Wow, I'm definitely in the minority with this one. Other than our neighbor across the street & our relatives so they can get in touch if need be, there's no need to brag to anyone else especially during this time of recession. It's bad enough that most people we deal with are lucky to have a job much less a cruise vacation.

Others may think you're a downer, but I tend to agree. We currently have 124 days of cruising booked, 74 of them in the next four months. Do you think for a moment I would mention that anywhere but on this board? Family knows. A couple of close friends and neighbors know, and where I work knows I will be "away", but I don't make a big deal about it.

However, saying that, I DO expect the family and few close friends who know about it to be happy for us. Or at least to refrain from making snide remarks. I mean, I suffered through, er, enjoyed umpteen baby showers, kids' birthdays, school programs and photo showings, kids' graduations, weddings and now grandchildren. I smiled and brought the appropriate gifts on the appropriate occasions. Since we can afford to cruise largely because we didn't have kids, and aren't paying off college educations and weddings, don't begrudge me this enjoyment at this point in our lives.

Not that I have on opinion on the subject. :o

Oh yeah. Once I'm booked I can't stop talking to anyone who wants to listen. I think it's the excitement!

You're much nicer than me...I even ramble on to the people who don't want to listen!:D

Judy

On social networks, such as Facebook, I keep my privacy settings pretty tight. Only my friends can see what I post. That being said, I don't post when I'm going on vacation, but definitely post pictures when I get back.

But to friends and co-workers (or anyone who'll listen :p), I do tend to mention that I'll be on a cruise soon.

I tend to broadcast my cruises and other travels but only to "best friends" and "total strangers that I'm not likely to see again". Casual or acquaintances friends don't ask and I don't tell. Best friends will listen to you even if they do not understand your addiction to the cruise or know how to help you during those rare periods when no cruise is scheduled. Best friends also will usually ask to see the pictures with just a few hints:o Total strangers well as I said you won't see them again. Thank you God for these Best and Loyal Friends for they hear hours of details!

I travel -- it is who I am and where I spend a great deal of my time. Planning trips is my hobby. I plan trips for others (not that they ever seem to take them) just because I think it is so much fun. If after all that planning it does not work out I push to the back burner and start another planning trip. Is it bragging to talk about my hobby anymore than talking about your gardening or games you play or your other various interests and passions? I vote not bragging but just being myself the traveler.

Most of our friends know that we're addicted to cruising. Sometimes I'm a little sheepish because I know that with these bad economic times, many people can't afford to take a vacation. Also, there's still a perception out there that cruising is much more expensive than it actually is. So I try to be sensitive about who I brag to and what I say.

We also have a few friends who like to travel but look down on cruising as being pseudo-travel. In particular, my BFF and her DH wouldn't be caught dead on a mass market cruise ship. We've agreed to disagree about that.;)

When giddily yakking about my upcoming cruise plans to those who'll listen, I also stress the great deals that can be had for cruising. I mean, it's really very reasonable when you consider it's pretty much all-inclusive!

I also toss in somewhere along the way how we've saved and planned so we're able to enjoy a little vacation, just so we don't come across as being uppity, etc!

And as someone else mentioned, we probably talk more about the trip before going than after... because as soon as we find our good deal, the real fun starts! I don't care how many long months away it is... if it's booked... it's "real" and then I spend a good portion of those months of waiting filled with lovely anticipation and planning what to wear here and what to do there... I really think the pre-cruise time is very close to being the best part of the trip... maybe not quite THE best... but close...! :D

Others may think you're a downer, but I tend to agree. We currently have 124 days of cruising booked, 74 of them in the next four months. Do you think for a moment I would mention that anywhere but on this board? Family knows. A couple of close friends and neighbors know, and where I work knows I will be "away", but I don't make a big deal about it.

However, saying that, I DO expect the family and few close friends who know about it to be happy for us. Or at least to refrain from making snide remarks. I mean, I suffered through, er, enjoyed umpteen baby showers, kids' birthdays, school programs and photo showings, kids' graduations, weddings and now grandchildren. I smiled and brought the appropriate gifts on the appropriate occasions. Since we can afford to cruise largely because we didn't have kids, and aren't paying off college educations and weddings, don't begrudge me this enjoyment at this point in our lives.

Not that I have on opinion on the subject. :o

Now I'm REALLY jealous!!

I have noticed that I am a terrible bragger about my forthcoming cruises. No matter where I am, I manage to slip it in to conversation that I will be away as I am going on a cruise.

Does anyone else do this or am I a really shallow person?

Matthew

PS did I mention I am on a Princess cruise next week!

Not only do I tell everyone that will listen, I spend ALL my time in front of computer reading cruise critic message boards, roll call and reviews and THEN TELL everyone what I read on the boards!!!!!!!!!

Most of our family and friends know that we usually have a vacation planned so we are frequently asked where we are going next. I'll be leaving in 6 more weeks on a cruise--can't wait! Just today, some of our family said they need to start going on cruises with us and want to go to Alaska. Of course I would be glad to have them. They just returned from a resort in Jamaica and now would love to travel again soon. Also today, a coworker asked when I was taking my next vacation. I was glad to tell him!

I think it is fun to talk about what makes us excited. That might mean having our first child or grandchild, taking a cruise, what you do with your time when you retire, the book that you just cannot put down. In other words those things that make life worth living, we want to share.

I don't tell everyone but I do tell my friends that I've booked. Part of the fun is the excitement prior to cruising. I've never had friends or family think I was bragging my telling them I booked a cruise. In regards to telling people I don't know, only if they have no way of knowing where I live. I would never tell someone at my bank, etc.

I don't wish anyone ill will and I do feel sorry for those who may be struggling financially but because they are, does that mean I can't brag,to my friends, about my pending plans. Why must we be so politically correct with every single thing we do in our lives.....

Bob

I only say if someone asks.

I am like you. I have always traveled for work and also have been fortunate enough to take many trips a year for many years to great destinations. We do not travel often on cruise ships. I do not think it is a cost effective way to travel but it is fun. Basically cruising is based on consumption IMHO. People like consuming a lots of food and destinations. :)

Archived