Time limit to transfer cruise to TA

I thought you had up until final payment to transfer a booking to your TA. :confused::eek:

Not anymore!

So you can't transfer a booking to a TA before final payment if it was originally made more than 60 days before? is that correct?

Yes. Makes me wonder about Next Cruises. That is technically a booking. The day you buy a Next Cruise is the booking date.

I thought you had up until final payment to transfer a booking to your TA. :confused::eek:

Out with the old and in with the new.

So you can't transfer a booking to a TA before final payment if it was originally made more than 60 days before? is that correct?

As it stands that is now the case.

Not anymore!

Yes. Makes me wonder about Next Cruises. That is technically a booking. The day you buy a Next Cruise is the booking date.

I would think a NextCruise would work the same way. Transfer within 60 days of making the booking onboard. You might call Royal and get different answers to that question right now but once everyone gets on the same page regarding this new policy, I'm guessing that's the way it will work.

I would think a NextCruise would work the same way. Transfer within 60 days of making the booking onboard. You might call Royal and get different answers to that question right now but once everyone gets on the same page regarding this new policy, I'm guessing that's the way it will work.

That's what I think, too. You can transfer a NC to a TA without having picked a cruise.

Royal is driving me crazy with their constant rule changes. I have always held control of my booking to just before final payment so that I can talk with the Diamond Plus desk myself without a go-between. -this is now just another reason not to book until the last minute.

I wish they had a better way to communicate when they make these kind of changes. I really like to control my booking right up to final payment before I pass it off to my TA.

from the RCI website:

After You Purchase

s.gif

cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page

s.gif

Q: Can I transfer my reservation to a travel agent if I purchased my cruise directly from Royal Caribbean?s.gifA: Bookings may be transferred to a Travel Agent up until 60 days from creation if the request is made outside of Final Payment period and the booking is not paid in full. If a booking has a ChoiceAir ticket and the transfer request involves a change in currency we cannot accommodate a transfer. If you would like to transfer your reservation to a Travel Agent, please complete this form and return to us via fax.

Yes, this was announced a little while back.

I wish they had a better way to communicate when they make these kind of changes. I really like to control my booking right up to final payment before I pass it off to my TA.

I guess they're not keen on double dipping. People had them do all the admin work for potentially a year and a half+ - and then transfer the booking to a TA resulting in the revenue being lost as though the TA has done all the work.

They're still fully supporting TAs getting the business and commission, but it's done on the basis the TA takes care of the booking admin as they're meant to in that case. Transferring it so late in the stage was a bit of a loophole.

Yes, this was announced a little while back.

I guess they're not keen on double dipping. People had them do all the admin work for potentially a year and a half+ - and then transfer the booking to a TA resulting in the revenue being lost as though the TA has done all the work.

They're still fully supporting TAs getting the business and commission, but it's done on the basis the TA takes care of the booking admin as they're meant to in that case. Transferring it so late in the stage was a bit of a loophole.

I'd say you hit the nail on the head with your assessment. This change just closes one more loophole that has adversely affected their bottom line.

I called RCI, and was told that different rules apply to Next Cruises, as they never expire. So with a Next Cruise, once you have decided upon a cruise, you then have 60 days to transfer it, as long as you're not past final.

That's good news. We just purchased a Next Cruise on our Freedom OTS cruise knowing that it never expires and we can apply it to any cruise we want in the future. They also gave us two friends and family certificates that can be used with the same benefits as our NC certificate, as long as they book the same cruise we do within 30 days of our booking. Now, I just need to find a good TA to transfer our booking(s) to.

I called RCL Diamond Plus desk and asked about grandfathering the bookings made before the new form was published. The answer was yes, older booking were grandfathered. I think the idea of limited time to transfer is a real issue if you book one to two years or more in advance. Who can say for sure that they will want to use the same TA they are currently using. Not I!

I don't have the Diamond plus status. I booked my Dec. 2011 cruise in July directly with RCCL, and am hoping to still be able to transfer to a TA in the future. Will my booking be grandfathered regardless of my status (only been on one RCCL cruise)?

I called RCCL today and the word I got was..........any booking, either made on-board, next cruise, or made from the web or calling RCCL, is a cruise and subject to the 60 day rule. However, and this is a biggy, any cruise booked BEFORE October 18th is still your's and can be held up to final payment. Now keep in mind, you don't HAVE to transfer your booking to a TA. However, you do miss out on any OBC and perks they might pass on. I'm just passing this on to you from the way I understood the RCCL rep. I do hope this clears things up just a little.

Mike!!

Question: What happens if you book a cruise on board a long time out. You dutifully transfer it to a TA within 60 days. Then three months before your cruise, the TA goes out of business?

Tucker in Texas

In the unlikely event that happens then hopefully you have paid with a credit card that is charged to the cruise line and you still have your cruise.

There is no grandfathering. It is in effect as of October 6. If it has been more than 60 days since the creation of the booking or after payment in full no transfers to a TA.

I just did one on Friday for a booking that was made on line in March for a cruise on January 2. Final payment was at the end of this week and had not yet been made.

I faxed in the transfer form on Friday, October 15, and yesterday my confirm was sent by the TA along with a $100 OBC.

If October 6 was the cut off date, no one invoked it as far as I can tell.

Neither myself or the TA who works for a very large on-line cruise and vacation booking company, were aware of an October 6 deadline. He spoke to RCI on Friday and was told that since my reservation was made in March, there would be sufficient time to transfer it over. It seems the earlier reservations could transfer in 3-5 business days while reservations made later took longer.

Archived