Retroactive Charge -- what should I do?

i was on the October 2 Enchantment of the Seas cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda. I chose "my time dining" when I booked in April and was informed that this choice required prepayment of gratuities. I authorized the TA to charge the fare and gratuities to my credit card, and received an invoice marked "paid in full." I didn't check carefully to see if there was a separate line on the invoice for gratuities, as it's somewhat difficult to figure out how much of the fare goes to Royal Caribbean, how much is taxes and fees, and how much is commission for the agent -- so I couldn't really tell whether the gratuities had been billed or not. (The invoice also didn't show the on-board credit I was granted as part of the TA's group; I wasn't sure that this would really show up and I had no documentation of it until I checked a bill while onboard and saw that it had been applied.)

While aboard the ship I double checked and asked if our gratuities had been prepaid, and was told that they had. The gratuities didn't appear on our shipboard bill and everything seemed fine.

Today I receive a call from someone in the same office as the TA telling me that because I chose "my time dining" a couple of days before the cruise I should have paid the gratuities on board. (Apparently either the agency's or Royal Caribbean's auditors had discovered that I hadn't paid this charge.) I informed him that I had requested "my time dining" when I booked the cruise through his agency and had assumed that his agency had included the prepaid gratuities in my bill. I told him that I had paid all the bills I received from his agency and from Royal Caribbean while aboard and that I resented the implication that I was somehow trying to avoid paying a legitimate charge when the mistake was made by some combination of his agency and Royal Caribbean. :mad:

Immediately after the telephone call a revised bill appeared in my email from the original agent, showing a new total that included the gratuities and a remaining balance for that amount. No message with the revised bill, no discussion of a mistake, no explanation, no apology, no request to fix an error or omission, just an invoice. :mad:

So, what's the right thing to do in this situation? Can they add a charge a month after the cruise because of their mistake? :confused: Am I obligated to pay it or do they have to suffer the consequences of their error? :confused: Even if I'm not legally obligated to pay, should I do so anyway? :confused: If I don't pay, who loses out -- the TA, his agency, Royal Caribbean, or the crew? :confused: What would you do?

i was on the October 2 Enchantment of the Seas cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda. I chose "my time dining" when I booked in April and was informed that this choice required prepayment of gratuities. I authorized the TA to charge the fare and gratuities to my credit card, and received an invoice marked "paid in full." I didn't check carefully to see if there was a separate line on the invoice for gratuities, as it's somewhat difficult to figure out how much of the fare goes to Royal Caribbean, how much is taxes and fees, and how much is commission for the agent -- so I couldn't really tell whether the gratuities had been billed or not. (The invoice also didn't show the on-board credit I was granted as part of the TA's group; I wasn't sure that this would really show up and I had no documentation of it until I checked a bill while onboard and saw that it had been applied.)

While aboard the ship I double checked and asked if our gratuities had been prepaid, and was told that they had. The gratuities didn't appear on our shipboard bill and everything seemed fine.

Today I receive a call from someone in the same office as the TA telling me that because I chose "my time dining" a couple of days before the cruise I should have paid the gratuities on board. (Apparently either the agency's or Royal Caribbean's auditors had discovered that I hadn't paid this charge.) I informed him that I had requested "my time dining" when I booked the cruise through his agency and had assumed that his agency had included the prepaid gratuities in my bill. I told him that I had paid all the bills I received from his agency and from Royal Caribbean while aboard and that I resented the implication that I was somehow trying to avoid paying a legitimate charge when the mistake was made by some combination of his agency and Royal Caribbean. :mad:

Immediately after the telephone call a revised bill appeared in my email from the original agent, showing a new total that included the gratuities and a remaining balance for that amount. No message with the revised bill, no discussion of a mistake, no explanation, no apology, no request to fix an error or omission, just an invoice. :mad:

So, what's the right thing to do in this situation? Can they add a charge a month after the cruise because of their mistake? :confused: Am I obligated to pay it or do they have to suffer the consequences of their error? :confused: Even if I'm not legally obligated to pay, should I do so anyway? :confused: If I don't pay, who loses out -- the TA, his agency, Royal Caribbean, or the crew? :confused: What would you do?

I would write a letter to the TA with a CC to RCI and possibly dispute the charge with the credit card company.

Typically the tips go to the crew...not sure if the TA will have to pay them or if it will just sit around until you pay as an invoice from RCCL. I'd pay it but have a chat with the manager/owner of the TA and make sure they know how upset you are that instead of that being within the budget you planned it is now an unexpected add on charge a month later. Ultimately it was owed so should be paid...at the same time I do agree the TA messed up and should have to do more than just pass along the bill.

I find it difficult to believe that you can't tell the difference in the total that you were charged by the TA and whether it included the prepaid grats or didn't?

I would think that you could total the amount that was charged to your CC, and determine if the total was what you originally anticiapted, with or without the tips.....

Seems to me that would be the only way to dispute whether the tips had already been charged to your CC or not. If you can't prove double billing with the additional charges, you may be out of luck.

Good Luck,

TnT

I find it difficult to believe that you can't tell the difference in the total that you were charged by the TA and whether it included the prepaid grats or didn't?

I would think that you could total the amount that was charged to your CC, and determine if the total was what you originally anticiapted, with or without the tips.....

Seems to me that would be the only way to dispute whether the tips had already been charged to your CC or not. If you can't prove double billing with the additional charges, you may be out of luck.

Good Luck,

TnT

The OP stated they had checked on board to see if gratuities had been paid and they were told they were. The OP also stated the TA did not break down the invoice and line out what the portion was going to what. The OP also stated the TA had authorization to include all charges at the time of booking and the OP stated the TA had the the information regarding MyTime dining from the initial booking. The OP did everything they should have and then some. Isn't it the TA's job to ensure everything is handled prior to the cruise? That's why people use them, correct? I would be fighting this as well.

Two things:

1) Pay the charge. You admit yourself that you can't prove that the tips were included on the first charge. It's a legitimate charge that you agreed to, and as such, you are not entitled to file a chargeback.

2) Find a new TA. This one apparently doesn't have their act together.

As an aside, unless you don't care how much gets charged to your account, you should understand 100% any invoices you receive for anything. If you don't, it's your responsibility to seek clarification.

The OP stated they had checked on board to see if gratuities had been paid and they were told they were. The OP also stated the TA did not break down the invoice and line out what the portion was going to what. The OP also stated the TA had authorization to include all charges at the time of booking and the OP stated the TA had the the information regarding MyTime dining from the initial booking. The OP did everything they should have and then some. Isn't it the TA's job to ensure everything is handled prior to the cruise? That's why people use them, correct? I would be fighting this as well.

This isn't monopoly. There are no such things as "bank error in your favor". OP authorized the TA to make the charge. That initial authorization was valid and never canceled by the OP, thus the charge is valid. If the OP can convince the TA to return the money, that's one thing, but they are under no obligation to; nor does the OP have any valid recourse via the bank.

This isn't monopoly. There are no such things as "bank error in your favor". OP authorized the TA to make the charge. That initial authorization was valid and never canceled by the OP, thus the charge is valid. If the OP can convince the TA to return the money, that's one thing, but they are under no obligation to; nor does the OP have any valid recourse via the bank.

You're missing one thing. The OP checked while on board and gratuities had been pre-paid. So, only the TA is saying there is money due and not being very open and up front with "apparently" under charging the OP.... and it's a month later.

I know it's not monopoly and this isn't a bank or credit card charge error. It's an error on the TA who just "discovered" it a month later???

If you have an invoice from the TA stating that you were "paid in full," I would challenge it; you have to prepay your tips for the option you chose in April which I am assuming is documented on your invoice (the dining selection, not the tips).

Sadly, I'm guessing the crew will miss out even if this is fixed.

Sounds like the TA dropped the ball. Whether or not you end up paying it, I would be looking for a new TA a.s.a.p.!

Good luck!

You're missing one thing. The OP checked while on board and gratuities had been pre-paid. So, only the TA is saying there is money due and not being very open and up front with "apparently" under charging the OP.... and it's a month later.

I know it's not monopoly and this isn't a bank or credit card charge error. It's an error on the TA who just "discovered" it a month later???

I'm not 100% on how TAs operate, but I'm assuming (and we know how that goes) that the TA receives an invoice and passes it along to the customer. At some point the customer's invoice wasn't updated with the appropriate authorized amount. Whether or not the customer noticed this on their invoice and that's why they specifically asked on ship whether their tips were paid thinking they got an extra deal from an unattentive TA doesn't really matter. I do think the OP should find a new TA since this one doesn't seem to have their paperwork in order, but as for this charge, it is valid and the OP should pay it. Of course, if the OP can convince the TA to return the money, that's good too.

I am not sure why you couldn't figure out your invoice. Your TA should have provided an invoice from RCL that showed your cruise fare and any extra charges listed separately. Tips, insurance and other extra charges are all listed on individual lines. Don't you know what your cruise fare was? How do you know you got the right fare? All on here want to blame the TA but it sounds like the OP just blindly booked.

Plus you state you checked on board about tips. Who did you check with? Did you just ask the head waiter at MTD or did someone actually look something up for you on the computer?

Another scenario that might have happened...

When the TA made final payment, they might have neglected to pay the gratuities that need to be paid with final invoice if you have MTD. Then, about a month later, when they received their commission statement from RC, it showed their commission reduced by the amount of the tips that should have been paid at final but were not, so RC took it out of the amount to be paid to the agent.

Upon finding this error, the TA came back to you saying you failed to pay it, you booked it days before the cruise, you should have paid it on the ship. All are basically incorrect. If you booked MTD from the start, the tips are part of your total cost and not paying them will either cause a notification from RC to the agent, or RC will take it from their commission.

Sounds like the agent might have charged an incorrect amount and now wants to recoup their loss from you. What I don't like is the fact that they tried to pass off a story as to why it was your fault, when it is very likely theirs.

While I agree that it was your responsibility to pay the tips, if you received an invoice from your TA and was told that the final amount was due and you authorized it, and your TA screwed up, they need to eat it. Unfortunately it's a part of doing business.

I don't think the crew lost out on gratuities.

MyTime was obviously indicated to the cruiseline and gratuities were included and paid by the TA, otherwise they would have had a table assignment and a dining time.

The OP's cruise documents would have indicated that either MyTime dining or an actual table/time assignment was chosen and the OP would have received those docs indicating whether MyTime was chosen or not well before the "couple of days before sailing" as the TA insists.

Guest Services indicated that the OP had pre-paid gratuities as well. You can bet the TA had forwarded the correct info and payment (including pre-paid gratuities) to the cruiseline or the TA would have said something to the OP before final payment was due.

Did you get the "tip vouchers" while on board?? Whenever I prepay the tips, I get vouchers to give out.

Ditto...so do we...OP if you didn't get them then somehow your tips were not pre-paid....

I believe this is partially incorrect. Vouchers are supplied if you arrange to have gratuities added to your Seapass account while on board. Vouchers are only for show, they do not actually take the form of a cash tip after they are received, they get them with or without the vouchers. Pre-paid gratuities do not require vouchers if paid prior to sailing and paid for when included in the cruise fare as in the case when selecting MyTime dining at the time of booking. I have seen more than several posts to support what I just said.

Again, I say I believe this is partially incorrect.

I believe this is partially incorrect. Vouchers are supplied if you arrange to have gratuities added to your Seapass account while on board. Vouchers are only for show, they do not actually take the form of a cash tip after they are received, they get them with or without the vouchers. Pre-paid gratuities do not require vouchers if paid prior to sailing and paid for when included in the cruise fare as in the case when selecting MyTime dining at the time of booking. I have seen more than several posts to support what I just said.

Again, I say I believe this is partially incorrect.

Incorrect. Vouchers are provided for people who have prepaid gratuities for MTD. You do not have to pass out the vouchers but you do receive them. This is from actual experience as opposed to what I might have read on a message board.:rolleyes:

Incorrect. Vouchers are provided for people who have prepaid gratuities for MTD. You do not have to pass out the vouchers but you do receive them. This is from actual experience as opposed to what I might have read on a message board.:rolleyes:

I have read many threads from performing a simple search on the subject. Several people reported not receiving vouchers when they chose pre-paid gratuities "prior to boarding" or MTD. I can rely on what those posters stated as much as I can rely on what you are stating as the truth from actual experience, correct?

Th real question is this. If the OP had MTD in their booking from the start and MTD was on their Docs and Guest Services indicated on board their gratuities were pre-paid, vouchers provided or not ... were the wait staff and cabin steward tipped or not for this sailing? I would say yes.

This is from actual experience as opposed to what I might have read on a message board.:rolleyes:

I'm kinda lol-ing at the irony of your last sentence since your experience is what I'm reading on a message board. :P

I have read many threads from performing a simple search on the subject. Several people reported not receiving vouchers when they chose pre-paid gratuities "prior to boarding" or MTD. I can rely on what those posters stated as much as I can rely on what you are stating as the truth from actual experience, correct?

Th real question is this. If the OP had MTD in their booking from the start and MTD was on their Docs and Guest Services indicated on board their gratuities were pre-paid, vouchers provided or not ... were the wait staff and cabin steward tipped or not for this sailing? I would say yes.

Well, I can do a search on these boards too that will tell me inaccurate information on just about every question ever asked here, it doesn't make it true. If I wanted to go to the effort, I would scan the vouchers that I didn't pass out but alas, it isn't worth it. The OP has never said who they spoke to on board about prepaid gratuties. If they asked at the MTD desk in the MDR, I doubt anyone actually checked their account. Gratuities are listed separately on their invoice if they were billed. They are not hard to find at all but you would know that if you actually have had MTD now wouldn't you?

Archived