Still waiting to hear about our Sailing?

teresastreed

we are set to sail on the 21st!! and as many of you we are left guessing! Easy to say plan B when your money is tied up on a vacation you have planned for months (not to mention the time we have scheduled of work)..Plan B is going to cost us double because we can not book another vacation when we have not been told about this vacation...they will not give us a refund until they cancel our cruise..so not knowing and paying for 2 vacations is ridiculous! I understand to a certain degree where Carnival wants and needs to get the ship fixed for this cruise, BUT!!!!!! they should at least give us an option to opt out so we can plan something else! This is absurd!!! Carnival has loss my entire family as future customers!:mad:

I can not imagine the "tightrope" that Carnival is walking right now.

They don't want to interfere with someone's vacation if they don't have to....

but they don't want to leave people hanging either.

Unfortunately, if a ship yard says "sure, we can fix it in three days" (and Carnival does not cancel the cruises based on this) ....

and then the ship yard doesn't honor that commitment (for whatever reason...they couldn't get the part or there is unforeseen issues) .... then that makes Carnival late informing their guests...

sometimes these kinds of decisions are delayed because of others involved not under Carnival's control.....

Perhaps a call to "The Amazing Kreskin" ..... ( I used to love Julia Sugarbaker's ~Designing Women~ references to him when there was just no way to know what will happen)...

Btw, this waiting would drive me nuts as well.....but probably less for us since we travel so much .. we always have a plan c, d,e,f etc etc etc

I think you have summed it up rather well. I totally feel for the people waiting for an answer on their vacation.

Who told you this? A crediable source or a rumor?

Stated on the news in San Diego that it had to be moved by the 20th as they need the berth for other ships on that date. So unless they can get it fixed there by Friday.. they will have to move it to fix it. It has been on the news here that several of our ship yards had been contacted and/or contacted Carnival to use their facilities.

I would have thought they would have moved it by now myself.:rolleyes:

Dont know if thats a credible source or not.. LOL!

Carnival just updated the news release on its website. They changed the date to today's date, but otherwise nothing in the release changed. Rather maddening that they won't give us any clue as to whether we need to make alternative plans for the holiday week.

We are scheduled to sail on the Splendor on 1/9/11. My sister has not booked her flights yet but would like to do so before they hike up the prices. However, we're flying from NY to LA and she doesn't want to purchase the flights if there is a chance that we won't be cruising. Anyway...

P.S. I too am agravated with how Carnival is handling this. They provided superb customer services for all those onboard when the ship broke down. But for the thousands of us left waiting for an answer now - not so much. We're not asking for money back but would appreciate the option of switching ships and knowing far enough ahead so we could get reasonable airfare to Florida. I especially feel bad for all of those leaving in the next two weeks. It's ridiculous that they won't allow you to cancel and switch ships. Now even if you wanted to switch, the airfare alone (if you're flying in) would be astronomical. Carnival is dropping the ball on this one! :(

I don't know why you are worrying so and hold off buying airline tickets. I think over a month and a half out is a pretty safe bet.

I wouldn't blame CCL on their inaction but yourself.

I would think Carnival is telling you the truth, they don't know yet.

They are still assessing the damage, maybe it will be a little fix maybe not, what more do you want.

I would be disappointed, but I'd understand that they are working on getting it fixed.

You can be po'd, have a bad taste in your mouth or whatever but the bottom line is they won't know how bad till the finish assessing the damage.

There were many heated debates on what Carnival should have compensated the people on the shorten 11/7 cruise, but I was surprised on the lack of discussion for the folks on the 11/21 and 11/28 cruise.

My suggestion is that Carnival would waive the penalty clause for the 11/21 cruise such that if people feel nervous/uncertain about the cruise, they should be able to get their money back without the 100% penalty typically imposed.

The flip side is that if someone cancels and gets all their money back and then the cruise is officially canceled, they won’t be entitled to an additional credits for future cruises since they have canceled (assuming the compensation for the 11/21 cruise would be similar to the 11/14 cancelation).

In summary, they should at least give people on the 11/21 cruise two options:

1 – Cancel now and get all the moony back, but risk losing future compensation if the cruise is indeed canceled later this week or

2 – Stay put and either cruise as planned or if the cruise is canceled, they get the 25% of whatever comps is announced.

This way, there’s a risk/reward on both sides as cruisers that wants to know for certain their upcoming schedule, they an just get out and plan something else during their time off. And if the cruise is indeed cancelled, carnival won’t have to pony up the 25% extra comps.

To be fair, Carnival should play by the exact same rules that they make their customers play by. If Carnival chooses to cancel your trip 14 days or less prior to the sailing date, they should forfeit 100% of the total fare which means a full refund and a free cruise in the future.

Great idea Harry. On the noon news here it's all positive regarding Carnival; soon folks will be calling and telling the news how they are treating the (near) future cruisers, keeping us in the dark, not letting us cancel, etc. They have a lot to loose, lets hope they wake up and tell us something before the media gets ahold of what's happening! Carol in CA

There were many heated debates on what Carnival should have compensated the people on the shorten 11/7 cruise, but I was surprised on the lack of discussion for the folks on the 11/21 and 11/28 cruise.

My suggestion is that Carnival would waive the penalty clause for the 11/21 cruise such that if people feel nervous/uncertain about the cruise, they should be able to get their money back without the 100% penalty typically imposed.

The flip side is that if someone cancels and gets all their money back and then the cruise is officially canceled, they won’t be entitled to an additional credits for future cruises since they have canceled (assuming the compensation for the 11/21 cruise would be similar to the 11/14 cancelation).

1 – Cancel now and get all the moony back, but risk losing future compensation if the cruise is indeed canceled later this week or

2 – Stay put and either cruise as planned or if the cruise is canceled, they get the 25% of whatever comps is announced.

This way, there’s a risk/reward on both sides as cruisers that wants to know for certain their upcoming schedule, they an just get out and plan something else during their time off. And if the cruise is indeed cancelled, carnival won’t have to pony up the 25% extra comps.

Excellent Plan. I don't think anyone could expect more than that.

To be fair, Carnival should play by the exact same rules that they make their customers play by. If Carnival chooses to cancel your trip 14 days or less prior to the sailing date, they should forfeit 100% of the total fare which means a full refund and a free cruise in the future.

Not sure how that math adds up. If you cancel within 14 days you simply lose the money you have into the cruise (100%), you don't have to pay for the cruise, and pay an additional penalty of another cruise.

I do agree that at this point Carnival should allow cruisers to cancel out of the 11/21 sailing without penalty and hold that money as a future cruise credit (not a cash refund).

Who told you this? A crediable source or a rumor?

I don't know if you consider the source credible, but John Heald reported this morning that they were beginning to assess the damages to determine what needs to be done. If you read his entire blog description, especially what the chief engineer had to say, it seems very clear this is not going to be a quick fix.

If I were booked on Splendor before the first of February I would be looking for alternatives.

Stated on the news in San Diego that it had to be moved by the 20th as they need the berth for other ships on that date. So unless they can get it fixed there by Friday.. they will have to move it to fix it. It has been on the news here that several of our ship yards had been contacted and/or contacted Carnival to use their facilities.

I would have thought they would have moved it by now myself.:rolleyes:

Dont know if thats a credible source or not.. LOL!

It has to be towed wherever it is going. Until carnival contracts with the shipyard, there is no place to move the ship.

I don't know why you are worrying so and hold off buying airline tickets. I think over a month and a half out is a pretty safe bet.

I wouldn't blame CCL on their inaction but yourself.

Sorry but I do not agree with you. IMO 90 days minimum to repair the damage once they line up a yard and order parts.

It's a pain, but the cruise is not cancelled until they say it is. Once that happens you can get a refund and make other plans but not before.

I know I would be anxious in that situation but for those waiting for an answer, there is not much that can be done, other than come on here and vent.

That's all I am asking for.

This is exactly what I've been thinking as well. It would give those who are depending on this vacation some options. While I totally understand that Carnival is trying to scramble to get this fixed as soon as possible it is totally unfair for those on the next 2 sailings to be holding their breaths waiting. There are other alternatives that these people should be allowed to consider!

It's a pain, but the cruise is not cancelled until they say it is. Once that happens you can get a refund and make other plans but not before.

I know I would be anxious in that situation but for those waiting for an answer, there is not much that can be done, other than come on here and vent.

It's easy for people who are retired to say this. It's easy for people who have simple 9-5 jobs with 2-3 weeks vacation every year.

But some people have very complex lives with children, school schedules, animals that need special care, appointments that need to be scheduled--re-scheduled, clients, customers, etc., and one event sets off a domino effect that involves more than just two people who want assurance that their one week a year vacation is going to happen.

Carnival needs to give us the opportunity to option out instead of holding us hostage to their financial bottom line. I wouldn't be surprised that the stock holders aren't wringing their hands, as well. Bad publicity can come back and bite them in the ass regardless of all the positive reviews for the 11/7 cruise.

I don't know if you consider the source credible, but John Heald reported this morning that they were beginning to assess the damages to determine what needs to be done. If you read his entire blog description, especially what the chief engineer had to say, it seems very clear this is not going to be a quick fix.

If I were booked on Splendor before the first of February I would be looking for alternatives.

Continuing, not beginning.

Carnival is doing the best it can in a very difficult situation..in fact, better than most other cruiselines have under similar circumstances IMO anyway!!

The only thing I wld change with their strategy is to allow folks to cancel their cruises from now till Dec 19th w/o penalty - Those who continue to wait and then are cancelled by Carnival, shld be able to rebook asap and those who do choose to 'jump ship' so to speak :) can then rebook whenever it suits them..with no penalty and no more waiting..

Not wise IMO to make folks continue to wait in such 'agony' - well for some anyway :)

I think the point that everyone is missing is that those of us who are locked in to a Nov 21 vacation week just want an opportunity to opt out now rather than continuing to wait to try and salvage our vacation. As others have mentioned this cruise is loaded with families and I bet many are in the same boat as us that vacation time is locked, school holiday is locked, and not being rich we cant afford to just walk away from our several thousand dollar cruise fare that we paid our hard earned money for.

Honestly, even if the Splendor does manage to limp out at less than full capacity I am not sure we will be on it as my son is already "nervous" after what he watched on TV with the ship being stranded. Carnival should understand our plight and work with us at this point and not against us.

Also, Every other west coast cruise on the 20/21 is booked and airfare anywhere else <7 days will cost more than the cost of the cruise for my family. Our options are extremely limited at this point and we just want to move on.

I think the point that everyone is missing is that those of us who are locked in to a Nov 21 vacation week just want an opportunity to opt out now rather than continuing to wait to try and salvage our vacation. As others have mentioned this cruise is loaded with families and I bet many are in the same boat as us that vacation time is locked, school holiday is locked, and not being rich we cant afford to just walk away from our several thousand dollar cruise fare that we paid our hard earned money for.

Honestly, even if the Splendor does manage to limp out at less than full capacity I am not sure we will be on it as my son is already "nervous" after what he watched on TV with the ship being stranded. Carnival should understand our plight and work with us at this point and not against us.

Also, Every other west coast cruise on the 20/21 is booked and airfare anywhere else <7 days will cost more than the cost of the cruise for my family. Our options are extremely limited at this point and we just want to move on.

I honestly feel your pain, it has to be extremely hard. Good luck.

Archived