Can I bring liquor back on the plane - carry on

Queenmum

It's been a few years since I brought any liquor back - with all the changing rules do you know if I can bring a maximum of 3 bottles as carry on in the plane. Would not want to pay an extra charge for having it as checked luggage.

Nope my friend tried to bring 2 bottles thru in her carry on and TSA started laughing saying "Are you serious lady??" it's 3 ounces per bottle on the plane. The bottles of booze are going to have to be checked. Sorry. But it was pretty funny. My friend insested we do curb side check for our bags which was lucky for her. She had to go out and put the bottles in her checked bags (lucky for her in 2008 they were more lenient on overages in baggage)

Teri

It's been a few years since I brought any liquor back - with all the changing rules do you know if I can bring a maximum of 3 bottles as carry on in the plane. Would not want to pay an extra charge for having it as checked luggage.

No, we were on the Emerald in October and they actually had Princess reps at the FLL airport having passengers who just disembarked with liquor boxes to carry on check the boxes with the airline. One passenger was flying to Newark on Jet Blue and Jet Blue refused to check the liquor with checked bags and of course refused to let the OP get on the plane with it. The Princess reps said they could sell the liquor to some airport employees who offered him $5 for about $150.00 worth of Padron. Bottom line - put in your suitcase or don't bring it home. No more than 4 oz of liquid allowed on the plane and it must be in a zip lock bag.

The only was is if you buy it in the duty free store and have it in a sealed special security bag.

We bought some in DC in the duty free store and they put them in one of these bags. We went through security in Frankfurt with no problem.

The problem a lot of folks run into (and we did once) is they buy the liquor overseas in a DF store, then go through customs and immigration in the States. When they try to go through security to fly home in the States they are out of luck unless the liquor is in the special sealed security bag.

The only was is if you buy it in the duty free store and have it in a sealed special security bag.

We bought some in DC in the duty free store and they put them in one of these bags. We went through security in Frankfurt with no problem.

The problem a lot of folks run into (and we did once) is they buy the liquor overseas in a DF store, then go through customs and immigration in the States. When they try to go through security to fly home in the States they are out of luck unless the liquor is in the special sealed security bag.

Actually, if you have to re-clear security in the states, don't bet on the fact that its in a special sealed security bag will exempt it from the 3oz rule.

I thought this was the case, but was afraid I wouldn't get an accurate answer from the stores and didn't want to be stuck at the airport.

Sorry to my dad who will NOT be getting Bombay Gin for Christmas.

Nobody should be deprived of Bombay Gin. Put it in your check luggage. If weight is a problem, transfer it to a plastic bottle beforehand. He'll understand, it's the product that counts...

When we brought back some Kahlua on our last western Caribbean cruise, our ship had special padded bags for packing liquor bottles. They are made from bubble wrap and have a secure seal. If the bottle breaks, nothing will leak out. I found some online called Wine Skins, which the manufacturer says are sold at some Total Wine stores.

On our flight home from San Juan we saw many of the ship duty-free boxes leaking their precious cargo at the luggage conveyer. Special thanks to the CC member who told us that the San Juan airport has a duty free shop after security where you can purchase the liquor. We carried it on board in our sealed little bag which fit under our seats.

I can't believe that some people don't know that liquids can't be taken through security and really doubt there is a security bag. I think what that refers to is a bag that won't leak but is for liquor bought within the security zone. You would not be able to change planes though as that would involve going through security again in most cases.

Only if it is non-stop from the airport where you purchased to your "final" destination!

I am surprised to taken issue with. My information is from direct experience with the sealed security bags. They have to be requested in the duty free store. If they just put them in a regular bag, all bets are off.

Herein is the link: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/duty_free_travel_alert.shtm

I basically says you can use the "Tamper Evident" bags going from the US to Europe, which was what we did. It also says TSA will NOT accept them for coming back to the USA.

I stand corrected.

To the person who wanted to bring back the Bombay Gin-put it in plastic bottles in your checked luggage. Take the empty bottle in your carry on-that will help with your checked luggage weight. When you get home pour it back in the bottle.

they sell 3 oz containers that you can pour each into and then into a zip back to carry. I do it with my contact lens disinfectant & saline solution. Very expensive to watch them throw in garbage can at check in. TSA ok'd it to Continental air as I listened but not the TSA agents. CO filed a grievance for me with FAA & I got $10 check to buy new stuff.

No, we were on the Emerald in October and they actually had Princess reps at the FLL airport having passengers who just disembarked with liquor boxes to carry on check the boxes with the airline. One passenger was flying to Newark on Jet Blue and Jet Blue refused to check the liquor with checked bags and of course refused to let the OP get on the plane with it. The Princess reps said they could sell the liquor to some airport employees who offered him $5 for about $150.00 worth of Padron. Bottom line - put in your suitcase or don't bring it home. No more than 4 oz of liquid allowed on the plane and it must be in a zip lock bag.

Last month we brought back Rum from San Juan purchased in the duty free shop, they put it in a two bottle bag with a tamper resistant tie. We carried it through Delta's Atlanta hub without having to go through security again and boarded our flight to Los Angeles. So if you are connecting within a secure area (usually with the same airline or affiliated airline) you shouldn't have a problem with liquor or soda purchased in a duty free store. You can find out which terminals are shared by your airline.

The liquor wasn't quite as cheap as that in St. Thomas, but was a lot cheaper than at home. Do a little research and it is doable.

Archived