The LAFFNVEGAS "Live" From the Mariner of the Seas

LAFFNVEGAS

Interesting that Lisa's first impression of the Mariner is that it reminded her of the Solstice in terms of the elevator layout and the whole atrium tower. I have commented on that several times both on the RCI board and on the =X= board.

With all the discussions here on what the next generation of RCI ships will look like, it is obvious that the Solstice hull and layout will be altered to fit an RCI ship. The basic design and layout can be used by both lines.

Lisa, my recommendation is instead of eating lunch in the Windjammer, eat it in the dining room (it's open for lunch on sea days). A lot less crowded and hectic than the Windjammer.

I second that recommendation.........and love the great salad bar that is set up in the middle of the dining room. :)

Room service is another good lunch option........enjoyed on your balcony.......on the next to the last sea day.

Hola fro Mazatlan :)

Well I typed up a whole report this morning in the cabin, then figured it would be better to write it LIVE rather than hasle with my net book and attempting to connect here at the internet cafe at the pier, about 10 minutes ago I wrote a whole report and now find it never posted :mad:

So this will be the brief report of what I wrote and will probably post what I wrote later.

Last night was Italian night where the Dining Room Stewards sing, Tom could not find anything on the menu he wanted so he ordered the the alternative of the NY Steak. I also was not thrilled with the selection so I ordered the Egg Plan Parmesean Bake, sadly it it was very dry and badly needed sauce and more cheese. I will say that our servers are quick and are so afraid we will go away hungry so they keep bringing us additional entree's to sample including desserts;)

We went to the first Production show last night I would rate it exactly equal to Princess and HAL for talent, sets and custumes. I still think that NCL rates the highest with Celebrity being a very close second.

This morning we went over the the Crystal Symphony, we were invited guests and were given a tour and had an amazing lunch on board. The Symphony for being the oldest of the two Crystal ships is in amazing shape. Poor Tom was trying to find a way to stay on that ship :D

Tonight we dine in Chops and it is a good thing that dinner reservation is not till 7 because we are still stuffed from lunch that was amazing.

Tomorrow we are in Puerto Vallarta and spending the day with CC member Ine and Ton.

Have fantastic weather and wish we could stay a few more weeks ;) But some how I think my boss would be upset :D

Adios from Mazatan

I'm enjoying your reports Lisa, as my fiancée and I will be spending our honeymoon aboard the Mariner on the 19th of Dec right after we get married. Little disappointed to hear about the poor quality food, glad the weather is nice as here in England the whole country has come to a standstill due to heavy snow!

Thanks for the great post! We will be sailing on the Explor. for 3rd time in March is that the same class?

Thanks again Sharon

Yes, Explorer is no. 2 in the class, Mariner is no. 5. The main difference is that on the first three, the balconies were built into the hull and on the last two, the balconies hang out from the hull.

Just out of curiosity, Lisa, have you ever been to Kings Court on QM2. If so, how do you compare it with the Windjammer?

Roy

Roy,

I know you addressed this question to Lisa, but I thought I'd offer my opinion on the subject.

Personally I thought the Kings Court on QM2 is the most poorly planned buffet at sea! At dinner I think they do a great job of walling off the seating areas and creating small separate restaurants, the dinner we had in Lotus was perhaps the best meal we had on the QM2. For breakfast and especially lunch I think the Kings Court is a mess!

First of all if you want a little bit from Lotus, The Carvery, and the Italian restaurant by the time you walk between the three places your food is stone cold and you are exhausted! Having the Italian buffet line (and the sandwich area) so far away from Lotus and the Carvery just doesn't make much sense for the guest, especially if they want something from each of the venues. They are just too far apart! Not to mention the line for the Carvery and Lotus tend back towards the winter garden at peak times.

Personally all of deck 7 is poorly laid out on the QM2 but that's a discussion for a later time! The Kings Court really needs more smaller serving stations. Separate out the salad bar from the hot foods, on QM2 it is all in one line. Setting things up with more food stations would greatly reduce the lines that current build up in the Kings Court at peak times.

In the Windjammer on Mariner of the seas the Lotus (Asian) and the regular buffet section are close to each other, and the salad/cold foods are separated from the hot foods. Those who only want hot foods don't have to stand in line and wait for those in front of them make their salads.

Little disappointed to hear about the poor quality food...

Remember that food is subjective. We were on Mariner a few weeks ago and thought the food was amazing. The Windjammer foods that were supposed to be hot were indeed bubbling and hot, and there was a lot to choose from there. There were a few dining room "misses" but overall we were thrilled with the food.

Please don't worry about it, OK? The food was great, IMO. :)

We have also been on the mariner and found the windjammer and dining room to be one of the best places to eat on a cruise. The windjammer was really good for breakfast and lunch and always had a lot of choice! The dining room had more to choose from for me then more options from other cruise lines. Everyone has there own opinions but i'm sure you will enjoy yourself and dont' worry about the food!

Thank you so much for your live reports! I am an avid follower as my extended family will be on the Mariner on 12/12 and 12/19 and this is getting me officially ready to go rightthisinstant. In fact, I started packing, which I usually never do until about two days beforehand. We were on the Mariner in July 2009, but since that was the Nickelodeon Cruise, I am expecting things to be a bit different this time around (to say the least - there will probably be about 1,000 fewer kids). I have fond yet crazed memories of sitting in hot tubs surrounded by about 15 screaming splashers under the age of 10 or so.

Re the Windjammer, which on our most recent cruise - on the Liberty this past summer - was a complete and utter madhouse: One things I really enjoyed about the WJ fare on the Mariner was the large selection of Asian-style alternatives available. I especially liked the option of having miso soup and sushi rice for breakfast, along with all the fixings.

Greetings from Puerto Vallarta,

I am currently over at Ine's and Ton's place in PV We have had a great afternoon in PV.They took us to a great restaurant in the beach and now we are at the winter home in PV. This has been a great day!!!

I will go back to yesterday, it has been a great day!!!

Going back to yesterday, Mariner redeemed itself yesterday with our dinner in Chops. We had a wonderful very impressive dinner last night, definitely the best meal we have had all week. Then we were able to get seats in the the Ice show right afterwards. So over all it was a great day!!!!

Today we have been with CC member Ine and her husband Ton, We have had a wonderful time.:)

It really has been a great cruise so hopefully you are not taking me wrong I am just letting you know my first impressions.

Signing off from Puerto Vallarta Mexico:)

If the above does not make sense blame it on the margaritas :D

...Mariner redeemed itself yesterday with our dinner in Chops...

Oh my goodness. Well, sorry you do not have more positive things to say about Mariner. Some things you like, but overall I get the impression that you are just too busy comparing to other ships to enjoy yourself. No offense intended - that's just my opinion. :cool:

Hi Lisa~~~you are taking our 'canceled' cruise----we canceled because they are moving the ship.

Like Tom, Mike likes to get nice golf shirts onboard. That's probably not something that would matter to most passengers--just our guys.

My only experience with RCI was twice on Radiance, and honestly, we loved that ship. Their buffet is great, and the beds were nice.

I realize R is a different class than M, but just thought I'd add that. :)

We tend to be similar cruisers, so this may not be the ship for us, but DS and DIL love RCI.

And yes, Lisa tends to be fairly objective with her reviews.

Talk to you when you get home.

Pat

Oh my goodness. Well, sorry you do not have more positive things to say about Mariner. Some things you like, but overall I get the impression that you are just too busy comparing to other ships to enjoy yourself. No offense intended - that's just my opinion. :cool:

Kind of got that feeling also. I know that it's easy to do. Espcecially when you're not cruising on your favorite cruise line. I did that when I cruised HAL a few years back. Not an experience that I want to repeat anytime soon. :)

Archived