The LAFFNVEGAS "Live" From the Mariner of the Seas

LAFFNVEGAS

Two I think you will have a great cruise. I have been on RC 5 times (not a lot) and always had a great time. If I don't like something in the MDR there are so many other options for food. Also, my parents are very experienced cruise people and they love the buffet on RC. To each his own, so I would no worry about the OP cruise experience. I am sure yours will be different.;) :)After all you will be on your Honeymoon!

Personally I wish I hadn't read any of this "review", my fiancée and I will be spending part of our honeymoon aboard the mariner in a couple of weeks, Xmas cruise. We've never cruised before, I trawler CC for the last few months checking out reviews and asking questions, when I stumbled upon this review, I thought great a LIVE review, now all my questions will be answered. But now I'm looking forward to some awful cruise, terrible food (puréed steak? Just like in grannies shelter?) and to get ripped off. I should have steered clear, the gloss has been taken off.

Sorry if nobody likes my post, just MHO.

Do NOT let this review sway you. My neighbors just got off the Mariner and I showed them this thread; they couldn't believe it. They had a fabulous time and to quote them ... "They spoiled us rotten".

Have a great time and enjoy your honeymoon.

Personally I wish I hadn't read any of this "review", my fiancée and I will be spending part of our honeymoon aboard the mariner in a couple of weeks, Xmas cruise. We've never cruised before, I trawler CC for the last few months checking out reviews and asking questions, when I stumbled upon this review, I thought great a LIVE review, now all my questions will be answered. But now I'm looking forward to some awful cruise, terrible food (puréed steak? Just like in grannies shelter?) and to get ripped off. I should have steered clear, the gloss has been taken off.

Don't worry - you will likely still have a great time. Unfortunately, I tend to agree with the OP regarding main dining room food. It may be easy for me to say but ... it's your honeymoon, you're coming all the way from the UK - take the splurge, spend about 100 Pounds per person and eat all your meals in Chops and Portofino. You will be guaranteed a table for two and will almost certainly enjoy your meals. That's what I do on RCI.

A note about the layout of the Windjammer lido deck buffet.

Many people coming from other cruise lines where they still have cafeteria lines in the buffet are unnerved by the RCI system of multiple action stations and complain about people wandering around randomly. I guess they need structure.

I have read Lisa's "Live" threads from other ships and lines and felt that this was going to be her reaction. Big on spas and deluxe dining; not so big on activities. Her husband is like me - picky and not wild about fancy foods. I frequently hit the alternative menu most nights with the basic steak and salmon almost all the time.

You can always find something in the buffet. Ever since DW lost 120 pounds all she has for breakfast is lo-cal yogurt, fruit and boxed cereal every day at home or on a cruise ship. Me, I alternate between lox, well-done bacon and scrambled eggs.

If you are looking for gourmet on most RCI ships stick to Portofino and/or Chops.

A few thoughts here. First of all Lisa has sailed RCI previously and I suspect she was somewhat surprised that the experience did not meet her expectations. She didn't start the experience planning to report on a less than awsome cruise. It would also be nice if CC had a place to report on experiences like this other than the RCI board where there reaction would be less if the ourcome was not happy. I think this review would generate negative feedback on any cruise line's board.

Also Lisa, I think there was some confusion (both us and you) on your role as a travel professional. Are you really reporting from the point of view of yourself and others who love what HAL has to offer, or a more general point of view. As a travel professional, I think your statement "RCI Mariner is not for me" begs the question "Who is RCI Mariner for?".

Roy

Lisa,

We were on the Mariner last summer and had the same experience with the food quality and selection. We have cruised RCCL many times and no question their food has declined. Overall we enjoyed our week and thought the ship itself was beautiful. Unlike you, we traveled with our grandkids and the family oriented activities worked out perfect. You hit the nail on the head, RCCL is better suited to active families where the causal atmosphere is appreciated. We are going on the Allure this summer, we don't plan on any fabulous food but the kids will have a blast. We save our HAL and Princess cruises for adult only trips.

We have been on 30 plus cruises, with all the mainstream lines, none are perfect but we have never had a bad cruise. Anyone planning a RCCL cruise don't be discouraged, you will love your vacation. I encourage everyone to try different lines, and class of ships, it gives you a chance to experience a variety.

Pat

Personally I wish I hadn't read any of this "review.... But now I'm looking forward to some awful cruise, terrible food (puréed steak? Just like in grannies shelter?) and to get ripped off. I should have steered clear, the gloss has been taken off...

You've mentioned this before. I realize this is a concern, but what's happened is you have scared yourself into thinking this is going to be the cruise from hell. Please rest assured, nothing could be further from the truth. I hope you can go in with an open mind and heart, because I think you are in for the treat of a lifetime. As I said in my review and as countless others have said, Mariner is amazing. Why would you take to heart the negative comments and not the positive comments? Why give the negative more weight? You certainly don't need that kind of pressure and stress before your wedding.

Take care.

Few thoughts:

1 – Not all reviewers are created equal. In order to agree with the reviewer’s comments, you have to see if they have the same values/background as you. If their perspective is very different than yours, their review/interpretation of the cruise will be very different.

2 – OP is well known in these various boards. Given her 18,000 posts and large legion of followers, she is not writing as much to a first timer audience such as you as she is writing to them. Take a look at the “view count” at the front of the RCI board; it says there are 5,000+ view of this thread alone. That’s a very high number for a “typical” review. Typical posts seldom cracks the 1,000 mark. By getting to 5,000+ mark, that tells me there are many eyes on this thread that is not your typical RCI fans. OP has brought along her entourage of friends and followers along and she is talking to them.

3 – I don’t know OP personally or followed her posts from the other forums, but in reading this set of threads, seems to me she is more jaded in her approach to cruising. She is no longer the wide eyed bushy tailed person that sailed on the Monarch way back in 2002. Since that time, she has had 27 cruises under her belt (per her own signature page) on what some people would call “premium” cruise lines, so her taste/performance has been elevated compared to her previous voyages. Especially since she was just on the RCI’s higher end Celebrity cruise less than 3 months ago, it has not to compare the two.

4 – On any given Mariner cruise, there are approximately 3,200 passengers if you assume double occupancy. And if you get 98% satisfaction rate (very good number by any standards), that implies there are 2% or 64 people walking off the ship being unhappy. Chances are those unhappy folks will write/complain about it and those you will read about the negative comments. And negatives comments generate heated debates and therefore are always at the top of the RCI thread. So it creates a general feeling that the cruise is not a very good one. Whereas the silent majority of 98% that are happy, they may never post their positive comments here and even if they do, without much controversy, their positive reviews wile b buried underneath the 50 or 100 new topics that comes on everyday, so that if you missed cc for one day, those positive comments are gone. But the negative comments will be on top of your screen daily as everyone feels the need to comment/defend their perspective.

5 – You have to ask yourself what has changed since you read these reviews. What made you book with RCI in the first place? Was it the ports/rock climbing/ice skating show? Those are still there before and after the reviews. What has she said that would adversely change your cruise experience?

I know you said you had wish you never saw this review, but I think after reading this review, you are better off as you now know what some negative comments are. The key is focus on the reasonable expectation and have a positive attitude and hopefully you will have fun. I can’t promise you will have fun, that’s form within. Only thing I can promise is we will leave you two unbroken bar stools after our wild cc parties.

Keep in mind as the Mariner is leaving the west coast, you are part of the history cruise. It may not be until 2014 after they have the new Panama Canal locks before they send another mega ship westward, so enjoy your time on her.

Cheers,

We just came back a couple of weeks ago, it was our first cruise and we absolutely loved it! I had read a few threads about the food not so good, but we totally enjoyed it. I only read the beginning of this thread as it was not very positive and I didn't agree with what was said so I quit reading it (until now and I just read the last page). I am sure you will have a wonderful time on a beautiful ship - no worries.

A few thoughts here. First of all Lisa has sailed RCI previously and I suspect she was somewhat surprised that the experience did not meet her expectations. She didn't start the experience planning to report on a less than awsome cruise. It would also be nice if CC had a place to report on experiences like this other than the RCI board where there reaction would be less if the ourcome was not happy. I think this review would generate negative feedback on any cruise line's board.

Also Lisa, I think there was some confusion (both us and you) on your role as a travel professional. Are you really reporting from the point of view of yourself and others who love what HAL has to offer, or a more general point of view. As a travel professional, I think your statement "RCI Mariner is not for me" begs the question "Who is RCI Mariner for?".

Roy

Roy I would like to respond to your questions. Yes I had sailed on RCI but only twice both times on the Monarch of the Seas. The first a 5 day in March 2002 (Spring Break lots of high school/college kids) and the 2nd also on the Monarch on a 3 day Ensenada weekend between Crhistmas and New Years in 2003. Frankly that is a long time ago and as it has been spoke about many times that the short party cruises tend to be a bit different. I have read on many occaisions that one needs to really do a full 7 day to appreciate and get a better quality vacation.

To answer your question..... Who is RCI Mariner for? It is for families with children, it is for young people that want lots of activites like rock climbing, pool parties and are not looking for a fine dining experence. Every cruise line has it's niche. I wanted to see and experience the Mariner before she left the West Coast. I love the ports in the Mexican Riviera and thought this was the perfect way to return and see the Mariner.

I did find the service to be very good and the crew to be very friendly so yes they do try to "spoil you to death" I am not disagreeing with that. Basically what I am trying to say the price point of an RCI cruise does tend to be a bit higher that other mass market cruises doing the same itinerary that does offer a bit more for what we are looking for. The money you spend goes toward activites that unfortunately Tom and I do not use and not to a bit better dining experience. We found Celebrity to be a great fit for us and of course we found HAL to also be a great fit for us many years ago. For many cruisers food and the dining experience is not important but that is something we enjoy when we vacation. That is why Blu in the Aqua Class on Celebrity was perfect for us. I am guessing those of you that love RCI would never think of doing Celebrity and Aqua Class because that is not what you are looking for you in vacation options.

The best part about cruising is there are lots of options depending on the money you want to spend. Not everyone needs to like your favorite cruise line nor do I expect all of you to like HAL or Celebrity. It was good we returned to RCI to see if anything had changed. It is also possible that another ship and itinerary and time of year we could experience a better quality in food served. Unfortunately we probably chose the wrong RCI ship and date. But like I said there are just too many choices out there and so little time to cruise them all :D

That big font is driving me crazy - I had to downsize it. :p

I agree with Harry's comment here. OP, sorry you didn't find the menu to your liking. I actually thought the last night was the best; the turkey was incredibly moist and delicious (and recommended by our waiter), and that's the night they serve the Key Lime pie! (regular and sugar-free - both are amazing and in a side-by-side taste test, the sugar-free wins!!).

Harry, I hope you have a fabulous time on Mariner. I wrote a review last month and posted here, which basically said DH and I felt this was the cruise with the best overall service. We were absolutely thrilled with Mariner and most aspects of her. Anything remotely considered a complaint was minor, I assure you. We have cruised other lines and do compare (like anyone would) so I am not speaking as a "Royal cheerleader". *rolls eyes*

Apologize for the bigger fonts. I rarely, if ever, use it. Just that my reply was too long and all my words were scrunched up and made it harder to read and since OP had bigger fonts, I figured I will keep it big as well. But I also realize the bigger fonts also have its drawbacks.

Thanks for the kind wishes. I am sure we will have a good time as I know ahead of time what are the strengths and weakness of the cruise line. Happiness comes from within. Not being at work, being out in the ocean with family during the holidays, that’s a great start, no?

I enjoyed your photo web link of the Mariner under your signature. I have photo links of my previous cruises (my signature below) and ironically they are all food related photos. I plan to do a similar one for our cruise on the Mariner. So that way other future cruisers can get a preview of the food prior to their sailing.

I think you made a fair case about the OP being a bit more objective in the her comments. After rereading several of her 'Live Reports' I found that she made some positive statements about service, cabin size and both of the specialty restaurants. But somehow she seemed to have a definate bug in her bonnet about the Windjammer and brought her focus to that again and again. It seems that there was a reluctance to give credit when it was due. I also found it surprising on her disappointment over no pillow chocolates in the evening when, as a TA, she 'must' have heard of RCI cost savings changes that took effect over a year ago! I also felt it was mean spirited and a bit petty to comment on the 'bad job' of decorating the Christmas tree in post #24.

Since we are on the same cruise next week with you, I will be curious as to your impressions.

Dion (and Teri)

Yes, looking forward to meeting everyone from our roll call one week from today.

I will have my laptop with us on the cruise, so I plan to have daily journal similar to Lisa, but I am too cheap/lazy to use the ship’s connection or internet café. Besides having a different perspective than Lisa since I will have two kids with us on the cruise, my target audience is more for the first time cruiser. I write in ad nauseamdetail that most veteran cruiser won’t care to read, but will be helpful for first timers trying to figure out what’s what. Under my signature on my posted carnival review, it was so long (over 25 pages in MS Word) that I blew up the CC upload mechanism. They can’t handle such big review, so I had to email them the document directly for them to upload on their end as I was way too long winded.

Will see if I can keep it under the maximum limit this time. Maybe I will write two pages on food alone after this.

Noone should let one person's opinion affect their opinion about an upcoming cruise.

First of all...thank you Laffnvegas. I enjoyed your post. I am an RCCL lover and will remain...through good and bad. I have been on the Mariner, and loved every minute of it. I am not into rock climbing and I don't have children. I enjoy the service and the food of Royal Caribbean. I can understand that it wasn't for you...I just hope that others realize that what's not for you could be for them.

I hope you enjoy your next cruise and I thank you again for your post.

Perhaps you will get a different perspective by reading a few threads on the Celebrity Cruise Line page, in particular the thread on "Food on Celebrity". It appears that even the 'grown ups' are experiencing less than previously expected food service and are grousing about it.

Take into consideration the global economic picture in which these large entertainment/vacation industries are struggling to maintain profitability. Cost cutting measures are an industry wide situation that affect all of the cruise lines.

Your vacation cruise is what you make of it, not what others wish it could be for themselves.

Dion and Teri

Apologize for the bigger fonts. I rarely, if ever, use it.

No no no, not you... umm, you had quoted OP in your post and simply didn't resize to a smaller font. I just find the larger font a little obnoxious, IMO (yes, I know how to turn it down using Ctrl and + or - or the mouse scroll but I didn't want to bother with it just for one post) but I'll deal with it, no biggie.

Enjoy your cruise on Mariner. Have the Key Lime Pie. :)

Thanks for a fair and honest review. I personally did not experience your review as mean spirited at all but rather your opinions.

I feel that you gave the review your all and am appalled that you are being flamed for giving your viewpoint. Too many cheerleaders if you ask me...jmo:rolleyes:

Hey, Lisa..

Tracked your "live impressions down":D

If your remember I was treating my 2 sisters to this "birthday" cruise, neither had ever been on a ship this size.

Both my sisters have cruised quite a variety of lines and both found our cruise to be exceptional overall.

Of course I have cruised Mariner 5 times in just over a year, so I knew how to avoid the crowds. Which a new cruiser to the ship would not have a clue, so I think many of your impressions are true to form.

However, this cruise out of my 5 had the best MDR service(we had MY Time) and it had the worst specialty restaurant service.

Food is subjective so I won't go there.

I suggest trying RCI again.

I just read the last few posts, I didn't read any others on the thread except Lisa's, but I certainly appreciate her taking the time to review and give a comparison, I can't imagine anyone flaming her.

However, I will make a comment about new cruisers to the boards.

My suggestions...don't read a thing about the ship..ports of call, maybe, but the ship no way...because your first time on a ship whatever cruiseline, ship size, cost paid etc...is so overwhelming, your first impressions should be your own.

When someone comes on the board and posts "it's my first cruise any suggests?" I always post, stop reading these boards.:D

Thanks for a fair and honest review. I personally did not experience your review as mean spirited at all but rather your opinions.

I feel that you gave the review your all and am appalled that you are being flamed for giving your viewpoint. Too many cheerleaders if you ask me...jmo:rolleyes:

I agree, and I like the big font. I can't see. :)

Pat

Thank you for posting your live reports. I enjoyed reading it. I happen to think that opinions are just that, opinions. For others to argue that they are wrong is just ridiculous. I have sailed numerous times on RCI and have never found the food to be great. But then again I don't have a love of food so it doesn't bother me. My kids have a love of climbing big rocks so there you have it. We cruise RCI for the activities. When it is just us older cruisers we sail a different line. But with 19 cruises under my belt I love cruising.

Lisa,

Thanks for taking the time to post the various “live” reports during your vacation. It’s always difficult to write in real time as you try to enjoy yourself during the vacation.

Far be it for me to comment on your reviewing style, but in your post #60, you commented, “ we had a chance to see menu for the last night in the dining room and again were not impressed. Over all it kind of reminds me of the menu my Grandmother would have at her Nursing Home when she was still alive.” Is that editorial really necessary? Just seems to be mean spirited.

Is this really any different than calling the ships photographers ****'s? Like you did in your spirit review?

I get a chuckle out of some of the posts attacking the OP's review. A review is just that, a commentary of the good and the bad in the opinion of the writer.

We took a cruise on the Mariner five weeks or so ago. I have posted my review on the CC site of member reviews.

In short, we had a terrific time. The Mariner is a beautiful ship. The service was excellent. We spent a great deal of time relaxing and enjoyed the ports.

The food was very good, not excellent or spectacular, but that is my opinion. One night I had a steak in the MDR that I could not eat. I said nothing to the waitstaff and it is my fault for not mentioning it. We enjoyed other MDR meals and as always, Chops was outstanding.

I said nothing to the waitstaff and it is my fault for not mentioning it.

There's nothing wrong with not complaining to the waiters, should you prefer to just 'move on', too. While there's nothing with complaining, either. It's not like the measure of our cruise's worth is how many calories or pounds of food we're able to ingest. :)

Is this really any different than calling the ships photographers ****'s? Like you did in your spirit review?

You obviously have me confused with another poster because first off I have never been on the Spirit :confused: And I have never ever once commented on the photographers. First off photographers are crew just trying to do their job and make a living. I think if you go and look at any of my Live from threads I never ever make negative comments about the hard working crew of any ship.

One night I had a steak in the MDR that I could not eat. I said nothing to the waitstaff and it is my fault for not mentioning it. We enjoyed other MDR meals and as always, Chops was outstanding.

This happened to us as well but we are not ones to ever complain to the crew. As far as I am concerned this is not their fault, it is the quality of the products their employer purchased and they can only do so much. In all of our meals on a ship I can only recall a couple of times that either Tom or I have sent back a meal and ordered something different.

I will agree that Chops and Portofino were fantastic and definitely the way to go.

As for the Main Dining Room,:o Sadly I think the days of us enjoying large crowded dining rooms that the noise level is high and the waiters have to sing and dance is just not our style of dining we enjoy. We prefer a table for two of which we requested when I booked the cruise and did not get. No I did not try to get that changed because I knew it would not happen. I also knew that the Mariner had very limited number of tables for two and the chance of getting one was slim. Unless we are traveling with friends we usually just have a table for two. On HAL the servers do this dancing thing on the last night at the Master Chef's Dinner and on that night we dine in the Pinnacle and say our good byes on the next to the last night.

Archived