Tipping

bdklein

tipping is a very personal decision. I gladly give the $12 a day service charge though, as it's very well earned IMHO :)

I tip over and above if they've done a great job in my cabin, which they usually do. it's a personal decision to how much though....

tipping is a privilege not a right. If u feel that the trip is worth $12 a day/pp then do it. If not, tell NCL upfront what u are prepared to pay for the family. You're not the employer of this staff. NCL has the responsibility of paying these people a good enough salary to keep everyone employed--not you. You've already paid for your trip and you have a right to certain expectation which are included in that price.

Is very bold of cruise lines to auto tip. They get away with it 99% of the time and are prepared to have a few contester.

tipping is a privilege not a right. If u feel that the trip is worth $12 a day/pp then do it. If not, tell NCL upfront what u are prepared to pay for the family. You're not the employer of this staff. NCL has the responsibility of paying these people a good enough salary to keep everyone employed--not you. You've already paid for your trip and you have a right to certain expectation which are included in that price.

Is very bold of cruise lines to auto tip. They get away with it 99% of the time and are prepared to have a few contester.

Once again, my jaw is dropping. Don't you realize that if the cruise lines paid a higher salary directly to their employees you, the passenger, would still be paying it because the higher salary would have to be passed along to you in the form of higher fares? Employers don't pay their employees's salaries...you as the final consumer of a product or service pay the salaries.

I still consider it a LOT less than if I had to tip (and I would) myself without the fee. Saves me a whole lotta hassle cause I don't have to deal with cash.

as I said I hate tipping threads mostly because there is so much misinformation(in some cases deliberately so by people who have an ax to grind or a particular view of the world).

The service people on most of the tipping cruise lines are paid a base salary of something around $100 per MONTH plus on board room and board and some on board medical care) here is a thread from someone who works/ed in the dinning room that talks about this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1107696

They do take home more because they get a draw against the tips and the tips themselves.

This method of paying the traditional tipped crew goes back to at least the early 1900's and was continue by Samuel Cunard who was born in Canada and immigrated to England.

In fact in the 1910-30 there was a movement in the US to do away with tipping-which obviously failed.

Because of the fare structure now the remuneration for the traditionally tipped crew is NOT included in the fare. Generally those cruise lines that do include it charge more than the difference between the cost of tipping non tipping(Azamara announced a 25% increase and included the "basic" tipping and some other items-none of which when added together could justify a 25% increase-but I don't know if the full increase has held this is an example I realize that NCL is not Azamara or Seaborn or other of the luxury lines where in general you pay a premium to get the base tip included-do you really think that people no longer tip on these lines).

Whether its in the fare or the expected tip, its you are paying it anyway. I really don't see why you may want to pay more to have it included in the fare.

On most cruise lines when you remove the auto -tip all or most of the cash tip is put back into the pool anyway so in fact you make it more difficult for those who you want to reward. The best way to reward these people is to either write a note to their supervisors explaining how they went over and above or giving them a little extra(at your discretion of course).

The auto tip takes care of what the employees were required to do anyway(called tipping out). The rooms stewards traditionally tipped out the laundry room supply room staff and asst head housekeeper(the name for this varies among cruise lines); and the waiters tipped out the bus boys, dishwashers, line cooks and asst head waiter/maitre d(also varies by cruise line).

Do the employees just pocket the cash? mostly no. If the auto-tip is removed and they don't turn it in(BTW I have been told by some staff they sometimes convert extra tips left by some which they don't have to turn in at all to pay for the cheapos/stiffers because they ARE marked down when people keep taking the auto-tip off and leave nothing or less than the suggested amount-rightfully or wrongfully its held against them). The employees live in close quarters 3-4 in a room and they don't want large amounts of cash lying around either. The employees know pretty quickly who are the slackers and pocketers and since the supervisor is one of the people being stiffed by the employees they get a. fired b. non renewed or c the worst assignments....and also have been known to be visited by their own countries of origin mafia on board.

Ships are clearly a different culture with somewhat different rules. The tipping culture is a tradition on board. I know some people dis like being told when in Rome....but you aren't in Kansas either.

If you don't like the auto-tip you are of course free to chose another cruise line that includes it but if you like NCLs product and the service you really SHOULD follow the tradition.

There is also not one iota of evidence that the entire auto tip doesn't make it to the traditionally tipped and tipped out crew. The cruise lines even absorb the credit card charge. Cruise employees sue cruise lines all the time and there is NOT one report of any crew member that the entire amount doesn't eventually get to them and not one reported lawsuit...yet(I monitor a number of cruise lawyers reports who would report any such lawsuit).

There is one exception to the above. NCL's American Flagged ship employees are NOT required to turn in any tips(Hawaiian law applies and prohibits this) but I bet tipping out is still expected.

Don't do it. This service charge includes all the employees that you never see, but still worked hard to make your cruise a happy one.

If you would like to reward someone with extra, give cash. ... .

One of the best things to do for a crew member whom you want to reward in an extra way is to fill out a STYLES card for them. Those cards are used to determine bonuses and promotions for crew members. You can ask the front desk for as many STYLES cards as you wish. Fill them out and return them to the front desk by the last night of the cruise.

Mary Kay in NM

Is very bold of cruise lines to auto tip. They get away with it 99% of the time and are prepared to have a few contester.[/quote

Be careful what you wish for.

smeyer - Thanks for the great explanation of the tipping process, history etc. As much as I would like to see the structure go to an all inclusive style, I understand the history behind what they are doing now! Thanks again! So, when can we get all inclusive drinks! LOL

Ya know, $12 is a bargain actually. 3 (or more) meals a day.....a bed made.....and a crew that goes out of their way to take care of the ship.

If I ate out 3 times/day at home, I'd be tippin' a whole lot more than $12 for those 3 meals.

Interesting, I have figured it out from time to time and yes, you are right, even if you only eat 2 meals a day on the ship. You figure dinner alone in a 3 or 4 star restaurant with appetizer and dessert (without drinks) woud run about $30 a person, the tip would be $4.50 at only 15%. Most of us are now tipping 18% and I guess some more than that.Add to this the service of the cabin steward and all the others that are at your service 24/7. We have no problem with $12 a day.

Nita

When are those who do not beleive in tipping going to realize, if the cruise lines (not just NCL) pay the crew more so tipping isn't something they depend on, our rates will go up to offset that. What is the big deal? At least with tipping I do have some options. If they add $100 per person to my cruise fare, I have no options. At the price we pay for cruising there is no way the cruise lines could increase the salaries for the crew.

Nita

Im confused.. I thought when someone from the UK booked their cruise the DSC was charged with the booking. Did that change? If it was charged with the booking, they were able to get it adjusted onboard the ship, not from corporate when they got home?

Hey Terry, good that you are back!

Pre-paid tips are still optional for Brits. We are offered the chance to pay in advance if we want to. I think Royal Carribean may have different policies regarding their ships sailing ex UK these days.

NCL used to have ships based here in the UK for the summer and I wonder how much this tight fisted attitude contributed to the decision to move to other European ports?

Regardless of how any of us feel about how the cruise lines handle this issue if we choose to cruise then we are obligated to follow the recommended guidelines. If you aren't willing to follow the guidelines then maybe a different form of vacation would be a better choice for you.

Nita

Because Tinkerfenwick is from the UK and wants to not tip. When in Rome...

Quite an assumption!! How do you conclude Tinkerfenwick wants "not to tip"?? What has his place of residence to do with it??

tipping is a privilege not a right. ....You've already paid for your trip and you have a right to certain expectation which are included in that price.

You have hit the nail ON THE HEAD!

Based on the information you are provided, and which is echoed throughout this website, the EXPECTATION is clearly set that the Daily Service Charge is in ADDITION to the fare, and the taxes, and the port charges.

You are absolutely correct that the obligation you accept when contracting for the service, is that you will pay it.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

On second thought.....$24 a day for both of us seems a bit steep, now that I'm adding it up. It will take a while to get used to this idea, but I will LOL

Quite an assumption!! How do you conclude Tinkerfenwick wants "not to tip"?? What has his place of residence to do with it??

Many Brits and others from some parts of the world do not feel about tipping the same as we do. This is a fact most are aware of, but as has been said, if you have been reading all the comments, most countries are now adding some form of service charge, so there is very little difference, if at all.

Nita

On second thought.....$24 a day for both of us seems a bit steep, now that I'm adding it up. It will take a while to get used to this idea, but I will LOL

DW and I ate a banquet dinner once that was comparable to what we had in the MDR on NCL and it cost $80. At 15% that is a $12 tip, or $6 a piece. That would leave $6 pp for the room steward and the staff in whichever dining venue you decided to eat breakfast and lunch in. Not at all unreasonable IMHO.

DW and I ate a banquet dinner once that was comparable to what we had in the MDR on NCL and it cost $80. At 15% that is a $12 tip, or $6 a piece. That would leave $6 pp for the room steward and the staff in whichever dining venue you decided to eat breakfast and lunch in. Not at all unreasonable IMHO.

It's only "unreasonable" to those who will rationalize anything to avoid spending the $12.

I'm a Brit and have just booked a cruise on the Jewel for August. My invoice says I have prepaid the service charge but it comes to nowhere near $12 per person, per day - more like half that. Perhaps the exchange rate has been kind to me :rolleyes:?

As has been mentioned, tipping is an alien concept to British people and is not part of our culture. Waiters, taxi drivers (except those in London), hotel staff etc rarely expect tips. I generally leave a couple of quid on the table after my meal but that's it. But that said, I'm a great believer in doing as the Romans due when in Rome and will have no hesitation in tipping onboard in accordance with recommended guidelines.

Unless you do have a legit reason why would anyone even think about adjusting the service charge? Nita

Unfortunately, some people are just plain cheapskates. They spend money on themselves then deprive all the hardworking people that made their cruise enjoyable

Don't want to pay the service charge?

Don't give them cabin service, no clean towels, no linen change, no ice. Nada.

Only eat in the buffet. But first if you want a table, you need to bus it.

Sound like fun?

I for one will be thrilled when the cruising industry decides to attach this to the fare and does away with the DSC. It has to come about eventually.

I'm a Brit and have just booked a cruise on the Jewel for August. My invoice says I have prepaid the service charge but it comes to nowhere near $12 per person, per day - more like half that. Perhaps the exchange rate has been kind to me :rolleyes:?

As has been mentioned, tipping is an alien concept to British people and is not part of our culture. Waiters, taxi drivers (except those in London), hotel staff etc rarely expect tips. I generally leave a couple of quid on the table after my meal but that's it. But that said, I'm a great believer in doing as the Romans due when in Rome and will have no hesitation in tipping onboard in accordance with recommended guidelines.

NCL(UK) seems to use a vastly out of date exchage rate and you will have paid around $20 per person less per week than if you had not paid it in advance and had had it added to your shipboard account each day.

I don't think tipping is an alien concept to British people at all. What is alien to us is tipping at the levels that are expected in the USA. However I fully understand why tipping levels are so high in the US (service staff are paid ridiculosly low wages compared to the UK guaranteed minimum wage) and why tipping is part of their culture. Cruise lines crew would receive very little pay at all were it not for service charges and tips.

I am pleased to hear that I am not the only Brit who has no problem with doing something that is not entirely within our own culture. Too many people when abroad refuse to as you put it, do as the Romans do.

Archived