New Pirate Ship Bar on HMC a TERRIBLE idea

michmike

I expect if you could get to the bottom of this, you'd find that the rum distiller or distributor has underwritten the project.

As are most things, it's all about the revenue stream. Most other things come in second.

Nevertheless, I've seen it and I wish it weren't there.

When the history of recent decisions from HAL Headquarters is written, the only possible title is "CLUELESS IN SEATTLE"

Do these people ever step outside of their cubicles ?

Do they have any contact with the real world ?

Do they understand the beauty of a tropical island ?

Do they know that any business is never just the bottom line ?

Do they know the difference between "glitz" and "class" (or "style") ?

AND, most importantly:

Do they have the gonads to say NO to Carnival ???

The HAL/CCL suits suffer from the same problem that GM management did for years:

GM would issue specific cars to their suits & for PR - The engineers would call them "Ringers" as these cars were practically handbuilt so that they would be absolutely faultless...

...misleading the suits to actually believe that what was on showroom floors all over the country were as good as what they were telling us.

When Stein or Mickey are aboard a ship (and they never arrive unannounced) the ship is spiffed up (or brand new), the menus are different, a plethora of waitstaff - the best aboard - are assigned to them, the food quality is knocked up a few notches and they're surrounded by corporate sycophants. In my experience, they even avoid the paying passengers, reserving themselves for their invited guests - They simply don't get the real everyday shipboard experience that we do.

Stein would do well to take a few weeks each year to spend a week or so aboard each ship in the fleet - arriving unannounced, taking a non-suite stateroom, sans-entourage - and see firsthand how things are REALLY handled aboard the ships entrusted to his care.

I am reserving judgement on this until I get there in a couple of weeks. When I was there in Dec, it was not open yet but I didn't really see where it detracted from the island. Depending on the bartender, it could look better and better as the time goes on. :cool:

Stein would do well to take a few weeks each year to spend a week or so aboard each ship in the fleet - arriving unannounced, taking a non-suite stateroom, sans-entourage - and see firsthand how things are REALLY handled aboard the ships entrusted to his care.
He will ... right after I sign the contract for the Popsicle concession in h*ll. :eek:

Ohhhh, hold on there..........Disney is one class act when it designs anything with their name on it. I have sailed Disney and been to Castaway Cay. The island is drop dead gorgeous. The pier is off to the side. Not one single thing on that whole island looks out of place.

This year they took away the pirate ship in the cove (which goes perfectly with their pirate theme) because it was falling apart. Maybe they will replace it with the new Pirates of the Caribbean set. I sure hope so!:D

I have never been to HMC, but that ugly pirate ship would never make it onto Castaway Cay.

I too have sailed with DCL & have been to Castaway Cay!:) I agree with you that the island is "drop dead gorgeous"!:) I am sorry to read that the pirate ship is gone! What will "Captain Jack" have to stand in front of now for pics?:( And I think that Castaway Cay has HMC beaten hands down!;)

The HAL/CCL suits suffer from the same problem that GM management did for years:

GM would issue specific cars to their suits & for PR - The engineers would call them "Ringers" as these cars were practically handbuilt so that they would be absolutely faultless...

...misleading the suits to actually believe that what was on showroom floors all over the country were as good as what they were telling us.

When Stein or Mickey are aboard a ship (and they never arrive unannounced) the ship is spiffed up (or brand new), the menus are different, a plethora of waitstaff - the best aboard - are assigned to them, the food quality is knocked up a few notches and they're surrounded by corporate sycophants. In my experience, they even avoid the paying passengers, reserving themselves for their invited guests - They simply don't get the real everyday shipboard experience that we do. Oh so very true!!

Sadly -- I do believe that someone would recognize him and things would change quickly -- to the better -- once the word is out that he is on a ship.

The ideas come from the Marketing and Research Departments.

The blueprints and construction are the engineers.

The cost analysis and projections are done by finance.

I will get to see this in March and form an opinion.

Music by the pool or the beach is not necessarily bad.

HMC needed a different bar area. I don't know if this was the best idea or what the alternatives were.

Being that the island is shared, both HAL and CCL had to be part of the planning process.

HMC was my favorite stop in the Caribbean. I hope that doesn't change.

Sadly -- I do believe that someone would recognize him and things would change quickly -- to the better -- once the word is out that he is on a ship.

True - but it would be impossible for any staff and crew to repaint & reupholster the ship, restock the pantries with upgraded-quality foods, repair the AC and notify all staff of a VIP traveling incognito within hours of a departure...

...even if he were recognized, there's still plenty to be seen when one isn't surrounded by TA's and Miami/Seattle staffers.

The ideas come from the Marketing and Research Departments.

The blueprints and construction are the engineers.

The cost analysis and projections are done by finance...

...All of which are reviewed and signed off on for approval by the suits.

We were there in December and it was under construction (lots of noise) and even then I found it to be a distraction from the beauty we had seen the Feb. before when we first stepped onto the island. One view that has not been discussed I saw while para-sailing. This thing really stands out and ruins much of the "island" feel.

BTW I grew up in the shadow of Disneyland in California (the fireworks were almost directly over my home). I visited this place more times than I can remember (we had a constant supply of free tickets from friends and relatives). One thing that has always stood out in my mind was the unreal nature of the park. Everything and I mean everything was fake. It was a grand illusion and I could accept that. Maybe that is why I found Disney World to be such a disappointment; it was just more fake on a grander scale. HMC on the other hand was real, at least as real as a manicured beach and little huts could be. There was a reason why I could relate to the name over the bar. I truly never wanted to leave there, but now…… it is Disney in the worst sense.

I too have sailed with DCL & have been to Castaway Cay!:) I agree with you that the island is "drop dead gorgeous"!:) I am sorry to read that the pirate ship is gone! What will "Captain Jack" have to stand in front of now for pics?:( And I think that Castaway Cay has HMC beaten hands down!;)

The Pirates of the Caribbean ship was used in the movies of the same name. It was purchased by Disney after the fact and moved to Castaway Cay. Since it was a set piece, it was never intended to be a permanent ship.

It braved the elements for several years, but started to become an eyesore (per Disney, I never noticed it). Late last year it was hauled away and doesn't appear in any of their marketing brochures. We are hoping that with the latest Pirates movie, Castaway Cay might get the new set's Pirate ship. It sits in the water, like where a normal ship would be.

I happen to love the DCL. I was stunned when we boarded the ship.........it wasn't at all what I thought it would be. It was sophisticated, gorgeous, and elegant. Frankly, the Disney Wonder is my favorite ship. We will be sailing her again on the west coast.

HAL does some things "well", like their cabins. But they are shockingly lacking in things that shouldn't be lacking. Like asking the waiter in the MDR for butter and being served unslated butter. We asked for butter and he said that was all that they had. They had regular butter the next day, so I stocked up and kept a stash in my suite (Deluxe Var Ste). On lobster night, our server came around with a (non-salted) butter crock to pour over the lobster. I'm sorry, I need my own little ramakin to dip my lobster in. I asked him for a small dish of my own and, without a word, he set the whole crock down and walked away.

Now, we only ate in the MDR twice on a 7 day cruise. I don't know what his problem was. That would have never happened on DCL!

I think the people in Seattle don't cruise, or they would have a clue what people who cruise want. Maybe the executives are from

Holland?????????? :eek:

I can tell you, Disney would NOT have that ugly a-- pirate ship on Castaway Cay, and they would have professionals making the decisions. Everything on the island fits into the landscape, and looks like it's been there forever.

For the life of me, I can't figure the following HAL has, unless it's just familiarity, tradition, habit or whatever. There are so many excellant cruise lines out there, but HAL's base will put up with kiddie pools in the aft area, stupid tents in the Lido area, and Laini rooms that make no sense. To each his own.

For me, I cruise for the ports, usually, so HAL won't be my "go to" cruise line. For adults (without grandbabies), my next cruise is Celebrity Eclipse! HAL will be reserved for Alaska!:rolleyes:

For the life of me, I can't figure the following HAL has, unless it's just familiarity, tradition, habit or whatever. .......

For me, I cruise for the ports, usually, so HAL won't be my "go to" cruise line. For adults (without grandbabies), my next cruise is Celebrity Eclipse! HAL will be reserved for Alaska!:rolleyes:

If I am not mistaken, is not Disney Cruise Lines about twice as much as HAL for similar cabins? makes at least one reason we are HAL followers, when you compare to similar priced lines in that same category. And that is as far as I will take any comparisons. I don't see any point quibbling over butter when the comparison is a higher priced cruise line, which may well routinely stock salted butter as well as the more traditional unsalted version perferred by most gourmet cooks. I would probably quibble if they only had salted butter. :p

So now you know why HAL has a following. Plus its itineraries are always just a little bit better and more interesting when we compare in that same class: Princess and Celebrity.

if you are really serious about ports, be sure to check out MV Discovery or Voyages to Antiquity. HAL is our "go to" line for comfort and value. And we love her.

If I am not mistaken, is not Disney Cruise Lines about twice as much as HAL for similar cabins? makes at least one reason we are HAL followers, when you compare to similar priced lines in that same category. And that is as far as I will take any comparisons. I don't see any point quibbling over butter when the comparison is a higher priced cruise line, which may well routinely stock salted butter as well as the more traditional unsalted version perferred by most gourmet cooks. I would probably quibble if they only had salted butter. :p

So now you know why HAL has a following. Plus its itineraries are always just a little bit better and more interesting when we compare in that same class: Princess and Celebrity.

if you are really serious about ports, be sure to check out MV Discovery or Voyages to Antiquity. HAL is our "go to" line for comfort and value. And we love her.

I have sailed HAL twice, both times in a Deluxe Varandah Suite. Aside from the cabin, nothing about HAL impressed me.

I get defensive when HAL crazies go on about DCL, or other A+ cruiselines.......there is NO comparison.

HAL can't compete with any other lines. When the oldies (I am one) die off, so will HAL. The world know wants RCCL Oasis......we wil have to find our way.

I have sailed HAL twice, both times in a Deluxe Varandah Suite. Aside from the cabin, nothing about HAL impressed me.

I get defensive when HAL crazies go on about DCL, or other A+ cruiselines.......there is NO comparison.

HAL can't compete with any other lines.

Have you ever been on NCL?! :eek: Chances are you wouldn't get any real butter. :rolleyes:

Have you ever been on NCL?! :eek: Chances are you wouldn't get any real butter. :rolleyes:

I plan to sail on the Eclipse in the fall. I can't imagine them not having real butter in the MDR. I have never had a problem with REAL butter at home!

I like HAL for Alaska, but cannot find a single family/friend to sail HAL with me. Barely-there kid's clubs, old people, crappy food, nothing, I mean NOTHING to do on the ship. That's what my family says. And, I agree.

The new generation wants more than sitting on a lounge chair (my favorite thing to do on a cruise) and watching the sea.

HAL doesn't have a clue on how to stay alive.......us old folks are gonna crump sometime.....my kids won't take up the mantle.

HAL can't compete with any other lines. When the oldies (I am one) die off, so will HAL. The world know wants RCCL Oasis......we wil have to find our way.

Sorry, but not everyone wants to sail on a ship as huge as the Oasis. Certainly not us. The smaller ships are doing business for a reason.

and the people on them are not about to die off

Maybe the show 'Undercover Boss' should contact HAL. NCL's ceo did it. only one person recognized him and was sworn to secrecy. and some changes were made, especially for the crew.:)

I plan to sail on the Eclipse in the fall. I can't imagine them not having real butter in the MDR. I have never had a problem with REAL butter at home!

You probably don't have issue with seasickness at home either. ;)

I like HAL for Alaska, but cannot find a single family/friend to sail HAL with me. Barely-there kid's clubs, old people, crappy food, nothing, I mean NOTHING to do on the ship. That's what my family says. And, I agree.

I'd be interested to hear what you prefer about HAL in Alaska vs the other cruise lines. They must be doing something exceptionally well for you to overlook all its other shortcommings.

Full disclosure: I have only been on full charters on HAL that bring their own entertainment onboard (but also use some ship entertainment) but from what I have read on CC they seem to have some stuff going on daily. Perhaps none of it interests you, but what do other cruise lines offer that HAL doesn't? It all seems pretty much the same to me: some Vegas/Broadway sing and dance show, comedians, singers etc.

Food is always a subjective issue and for me HAL has had the best food of the cruiselines I have been on - and that includes Cunard's QM2.

Sorry, but not everyone wants to sail on a ship as huge as the Oasis. Certainly not us. The smaller ships are doing business for a reason.

and the people on them are not about to die off

Sorry I have no desire to sail with 6,000 of my closest friends. One of the things that we really like about HAL is they are not crowded. Could they make some improvements You bet. Could they update their ships, most definetly, but we still like the midsize, and the crew is out of this world and will do anything for you. We have sailed CCL, RCL, NCL, X, Princess and still come back to HAL especially when we want a "veg out" relaxing vacation. It all comes down to what you want your vacation to be. If we are looking for an upbeat active time, no we don't do HAL. That is why there are so many cruise lines, everyone wants something different.

Archived