New Pirate Ship Bar on HMC a TERRIBLE idea

michmike

boytjie...off the top of my head some of our favourites would be Veradero, Cuba (i think our most favourite), Grande Anse (far end away from the beach restaurants and rent a chairs) in Granada, Seven Mile in Cayman and if there are not many ships in port Saphire in St. Thomas.

Haven't been to any of those so can't compare. :) Thanks.

All without one person who has posted having been to HMC or seen it in person.
The 1st' date=' 3rd, 6th, and probably a lot more posters [u']have[/u] been there.
I have no doubt the pirate ship will quickly be accepted just like all the changes have been.
I'll tolerate it because I have no other choice but to stay on the ship.

the music from our friendly piano player would probably be a lot better than on HMC:p:p

Oh Kazu---look out your window----even HMC with the loud music would be an improvement over what's out there today don't you think.;)

I've been there and seen the ship. It seems out of place and inappropriate to me. Disturbs the peace on the beach.

The HAL cats are generally awful, IMO, and having them contaminate the beach at HMC is a travesty.

As usual, it's all about the money.

Michmike,

Thank you for posting about the noise issues with the new bar. My husband and I prefer listening to the sounds of the ocean or, if we need a soundtrack, to our own music with headphones. We had the orange cabana (#4) reserved for our April cruise. We had that one a couple years ago and enjoyed the proximity to the food and restrooms. However, after seeing how close the orange cabana is to the new bar and reading the posts about noise, we switched to the green cabana (#10) thinking it would be far enough away from the bar so we wouldn't hear the music.

I noticed you said if you booked a cabana again, you would book #12 or higher to avoid the noise. From your experience, is the bar music still audible at cabana #10? I am wondering if I should see if any of the cabanas further down the beach are still available. I picked green because I don't want to be too far away from everything, but I think I'd rather be farther away then listen to music from the bar.

It's interesting in how the posts have shifted from "this bar is going to ruin HMC and is horrible"' date=' to "I'll wait and see it for myself", to "it looks like fun". All without one person who has posted having been to HMC or seen it in person.

I have no doubt the pirate ship will quickly be accepted just like all the changes have been.[/quote']

Who said that all of us have excepted all the changes?

I think you'll likely be OK in 10. We were in 6 and that was far too close. I just said 12 or higher because we do enjoy a cabana when at HMC ( as I mentioned, one of our party is not a beach/water person and enjoys just relaxing on the chaise and reading his book) and plan to continue to book them, but to get as far from the racket as we can.

Hopefully at the very least, someone from HAL will take note of the general tone of this thread and if they don't eliminate the music altogether (which I rather doubt) they'll at least turn the volume down so that those who are in the bar can enjoy the music w/o forcing it on the rest of us.

Oh Kazu---look out your window----even HMC with the loud music would be an improvement over what's out there today don't you think.;)

I refuse to answer on the grounds it could incriminate me;) With the snow blowing and the Nor 'Easter descending on us, what choice do I have but to be at HMC would be an improvement (or at least on the ship) - but I don't have to like the loud music :p

Well, after reading this thread my suspicions are confirmed. A lot of HAL cruisers are a bunch of crotchety old curmudgeons!!!!!!!! Now I know why I don't cruise Hal or Princess.....what a bunch of geriatric whiners I have seen on this thread.

I've been happy on both Carnival and HAL ships, just expect different things from each line. Tranquility is one of the things HAL does best. I'm far from retirement age (suspect I'm younger than you - looked up your service on USN's "cruise ships") But, guess I'm a geriatric whiner when it comes to a mandatory sound track (especially from the HAL Cats, who we <3 to bash on this board, because they're often so baa-a-a-d).

Did you know the HMC cabanas are $300 for HAL pax, plus about the same to add butler service? Are cabanas still $99 for Carnival pax? The $$ difference is part of the reason for the different expectations.

I'd expect music at the pirate bar when the Carnival ships are on HMC. I'm surprised HAL is doing it for their days on HMC.

Oh boy! I get to be a crotchety old curmudgeon . . . and I'm only 39. :p

There's nothing wrong with the bar or music playing IN the bar. My concern is reports of the music heard OUTSIDE the bar. Since I am sailing on HAL, I have to pay the $299 to get a cabana for the day, unlike the Carnival cruisers who can have the same cabana for $199. I want a peaceful and tranquil beach day. I know there will be noise - people talking, kids playing, and occasional vehicles; but there will be lulls when I can hear the waves. Since I switched to a cabana further from the bar, hopefully I will be able to listen to the ocean while relaxing on a lounger. Like I said before, if I want to hear music, I will bring my own and listen to it with headphones so I won't bother anyone else. It's too bad that it seems HAL is not equally considerate. Maybe they will surprise me in April. I plan to go by the new bar to see if it really is noisy. If it is, then I'm glad I switched cabanas. If it's not, then I'll realize that the noise complaints are much ado about nothing and book the orange cabana next time I have a stop at HMC.

We were just at HMC on January 21 (Eurodam). It was our first HAL cruise, so my comments will not be comparative, just observational.

- We completely enjoyed our cruise. We completely enjoyed HMC.

- We are in our very early 60's and tend to behave younger (lasting immaturity).

- We enjoy music at ship pools. Mediocre Caribbean music, average rock/pop - we like it all as background.

- Now, our ship's iteration of the Halcats... The musicians were competent enough; they played quite well when accompanying evening shows in the theater.

- When paired with the vocalist, the total experience was the most paralyzingly boring live music I have ever heard. A ten or twelve song repertoire repeated at any venue they played. Every song sounded the same.

- They were not loud. We would avoid them because they were dull.

- They drew no crowd just minimal applause at any venue.

- We visited the pirate bar. They were playing to very few people (Barry Manilow's "Copacabana" for the umpteenth time).

- There seemingly was no crowd response.

- On this day, the sound did not carry far outside the bar.

- I could definitely envision a pumping of the volume there for a Carnival cruise. It would be appropriate.

- The bar is not that attractive; it seems slapped together (we did not go to the upper outdoor level). I felt as if I'd get a splinter if I touched anything.

- The bathrooms are one-fers. Seems short-sighted for a bar.

- Beachier, livelier music at an appropriate level in the interior section might be nice.

- On our day there, it just did not seem like it was worth it to bring the band to the island. We did not witness enough interest to make it so.

- An eyesore? I really can't say. It does stand out more than any other structure. But it won't be in the line of vision when relaxing and facing the sea.

- For those bothered by the structure, one good storm may soothe your anxiety.

We were on HMC this past Monday, January 21st. To give some perspective we are in our mid 30's and are probably out of the norm for most HAL cruisers. We much prefer RCL over HAL. We were with a group for continuing education.

We spent the majority of our time at the new Captain Morgan’s Bar. It was an overcast day and somewhat cool until the last hour or so when the sun finally broke through. It was not the best day to be on the beach. For most of the day there was no music at all. Until the Hal Cats arrived around noon, the only music came from a passenger hooking up his ipod to the sound system in the bar. So while we wanted music, there was little to be found. I left my ipad on the ship as I feel into the hype of this thread that there would be plenty of music in the bar.

There are two bars on the ship. There is a large one below and a much smaller on the upper level. The upper level has an opening with a limited view of the stage, but allows the music to pass through. So for those that are so concerned about the intolerable music being blasted all day, I feel you do not have much to worry about. If the music does bother you, you can simply time your lunch for when the Hal Cats arrive.

The one thing I find strange about this thread is all of the complaints about the bar, but none about the being locked into HAL with your drink choices and prices. I much prefer to go on my own to a beach such as Orient Beach and pay 1/3 the price for much better drinks. They do actually have one decent beer on HMC with Red Stripe being available. Other than that you are left with what I regard as little more than water. For those that are more in line with my mindset, be sure to ask your wine steward about the beverage package on HMC before arriving.

We were just at HMC on January 21 (Eurodam). It was our first HAL cruise, so my comments will not be comparative, just observational.

- We are in our very early 60's and tend to behave younger (lasting immaturity).

- We enjoy music at ship pools. Mediocre Caribbean music, average rock/pop - we like it all as background.

- Now, our ship's iteration of the Halcats... The musicians were competent enough; they played quite well when accompanying evening shows in the theater.

- When paired with the vocalist, the total experience was the most paralyzingly boring live music I have ever heard. A ten or twelve song repertoire repeated at any venue they played. Every song sounded the same.

- We visited the pirate bar. They were playing to very few people (Barry Manilow's "Copacabana" for the umpteenth time).

- I could definitely envision a pumping of the volume there for a Carnival cruise. It would be appropriate.

- The bar is not that attractive; it seems slapped together (we did not go to the upper outdoor level). I felt as if I'd get a splinter if I touched anything.

- Beachier, livelier music at an appropriate level in the interior section might be nice.

- On our day there, it just did not seem like it was worth it to bring the band to the island. We did not witness enough interest to make it so.

- An eyesore? I really can't say. It does stand out more than any other structure. But it won't be in the line of vision when relaxing and facing the sea.

good to know, thank you very much for your input :):):)

Thank you for your view on this.

Much appreciated.

Archived