New Pirate Ship Bar on HMC a TERRIBLE idea

michmike

When a cruiser's biggest complaint is the appearance and sound of one bar on a beach, on one island that the ships visit during a few months every year, the cruise line should be very happy with the quality of their product.
It's not a "biggest complaint" for me, but it certainly seems like yet another misstep for HAL that detracts from the quality of their product.

When a cruiser's biggest complaint is the appearance and sound of one bar on a beach, on one island that the ships visit during a few months every year, the cruise line should be very happy with the quality of their product.

Not sure this is accurate since HAL cruisers all think of HMC as a little bit of heaven and that doesn't include loud and annoying music to spoil the peace.

Massive HAL passenger defection? Are you exagerating or do we have stats to back this up?

"massive defection" is qualitative, not necessarily quantitative. Posters here are protesting massively in their dislike of this -- they are not merely disappointed, they are massively disappointed. Count me in as massively disappointed too.

Posters here are protesting massively in their dislike of this -- they are not merely disappointed, they are massively disappointed. Count me in as massively disappointed too.

In marketing or polling terms, it's sometimes referred to as the "Q quotient". Q quotient is the degree of likability or marketability of a person, or idea.

Pollsters advise their clients not just on raw numbers, but on Q quotient. When it's very very high (one way or another) Q quotient changes minds.

Obviously, a thread on CC isn't a scientific measure of the Q quotient. But if someone in Seattle reads a thread like this, it MIGHT encourage such a poll.

On the other hand:

Yes, and people here massively objected to removal of Lido trays, Lido cabanas on Signature ships, Retreats with poolettes on the Veendam and Rotterdam, and probably more things of that ilk that don't occur to me at the moment. None of them seem to have impacted on HAL's bottom line by spurring "defections" to other lines.

You're right.

But all I'm looking for is no music on HAL HMC days, which doesn't cost HAL a dime to try. Hey, it could happen....

"massive defection" is qualitative, not necessarily quantitative. Posters here are protesting massively in their dislike of this -- they are not merely disappointed, they are massively disappointed. Count me in as massively disappointed too.
Yes, and people here massively objected to removal of Lido trays, Lido cabanas on Signature ships, Retreats with poolettes on the Veendam and Rotterdam, and probably more things of that ilk that don't occur to me at the moment. None of them seem to have impacted on HAL's bottom line by spurring "defections" to other lines.

Why it's new Coke all over again. Best recollection of that marketing disaster was Coke found test tasters "preferred" new Coke over classic coke, but they did not survey what would happen if they pulled classic coke off the market entirely and substituted only new Coke in its place. Massive reaction.

Massive boycotting of Captain Morgan rum is a good way to express massive disappointment in HAL's HMC Pirate Ship decision.

It's not a "biggest complaint" for me, but it certainly seems like yet another misstep for HAL that detracts from the quality of their product.

...among so many missteps that HAL has spent money on needlessly.

But I guess you can't put out a PR statement on the wire trumpeting "HAL leaves well enough alone."

;)

Massive boycotting of Captain Morgan rum is a good way to express massive disappointment in HAL's HMC Pirate Ship decision.
Presuming that you could incite massive boycotting (which isn't likely) what do you think that would actually accomplish? They're certainly not going to tear the bar down.

IMO the most we can hope to accomplish by negative comments on comment cards is to get the music volume turned down or turned off.

Presuming that you could incite massive boycotting (which isn't likely) what do you think that would actually accomplish? They're certainly not going to tear the bar down.

IMO the most we can hope to accomplish by negative comments on comment cards is to get the music volume turned down or turned off.

Indeed.

As others have alluded to, it was probably built with the Carnival cruisers in mind...

...HAL just needs to understand that their clientelle don't appreciate overamplified music - so turn down the Hell Cats, play some Jimmy Buffett at a reduced volume or bring in a steel band to something unamplified and I'm sure that 90% of HAL cruisers would be perfectly happy.

I do not understand why there has to be any music at all, loud or soft? If the music were eliminated, then perhaps the "Captain Morgan's Bar" would be a good thing for HMC, don't you think?:)

What the heck have they done??:eek::eek: This was one of the highest rated private islands - I don't think it will be anymore.

Just does not go with HMC at all, at least not to me.

what a shame. thanks for the pics of the monstrosity

it sure is a disaster....words cannot describe it... as we always go further down the beach than most venture it won't effect us... but to do that to that pretty island is unconscionable ..

guess the same group at HAL that came up with the Retreat and adding too many cabins on the Veendam and Rotterdam causing major plumbing problems and leaks along with those silly Lanai cabins.. they all ought to be fired on the spot... what a bunch of buffoons...

we just heard rumor while on the Maasdam a couple of weeks ago that HAL was thinking about removing the added cabins they put on the Veendam because it's affecting the ship's stability so badly because of the added weight..

the island staff that we've talked to over the years that we've been stopping there always say that they NEVER put a HAL ship in at HMC with a Carnival ship... can you imagine .. yowsa

Indeed.

As others have alluded to, it was probably built with the Carnival cruisers in mind...

...HAL just needs to understand that their clientelle don't appreciate overamplified music - so turn down the Hell Cats, play some Jimmy Buffett at a reduced volume or bring in a steel band to something unamplified and I'm sure that 90% of HAL cruisers would be perfectly happy.

and I thought I was the only one who thought the Yell-Cats were annoying after a while... as long as they don't send them back to the Navigation deck during the day near the Seaview pool on the Maasdam and Statendam the inside pool lovers can have them...

I'll go with the steel band.. or Jimmy B' and some oldies music.. piped in like they have now at the Seaview pool area

I do not understand why there has to be any music at all, loud or soft? If the music were eliminated, then perhaps the "Captain Morgan's Bar" would be a good thing for HMC, don't you think?:)
It could be (just speculating here) that if Capt Morgan Rum helped pay for the construction, maybe part of the joint deal was that HAL or Carnival would provide "entertainment".

I like Brian's suggestion of some music more suitable to us old-folks! :D

it sure is a disaster....words cannot describe it... as we always go further down the beach than most venture it won't effect us... but to do that to that pretty island is unconscionable ..

guess the same group at HAL that came up with the Retreat and adding too many cabins on the Veendam and Rotterdam causing major plumbing problems and leaks along with those silly Lanai cabins.. they all ought to be fired on the spot... what a bunch of buffoons...

we just heard rumor while on the Maasdam a couple of weeks ago that HAL was thinking about removing the added cabins they put on the Veendam because it's affecting the ship's stability so badly because of the added weight..

the island staff that we've talked to over the years that we've been stopping there always say that they NEVER put a HAL ship in at HMC with a Carnival ship... can you imagine .. yowsa

Your comment regarding the Veendam is most interesting. On our June 6th cruise to Bermuda, something happened as we were approaching Hamilton.

We were in the channel just about opposite the Dockyard, going very slowly in very calm water. My husband and I were just entering the Lido from the stern area when the ship suddenly heeled quite noticeably to port. Dishes flew around behind the counter and a section of the Lido had to be shut down while they cleaned up the mess. We kept waiting for the ship to right itself and it did, to a certain extent, but not completely.

I asked an officer who was watching the cleanup what had happened and he said "Nothing-- It is quite normal". I knew I wasn't going to get anything out of him so I thanked him and moved on. Nobody seemed too concerned so I guessed it wasn't a serious matter.

Even after we had reached port I commented to my husband that the ship was still listing a bit---you know that feeling you get when things aren't quite level. By the next day it seemed to have been righted and I didn't mention it in my review. Your comment brought the incident back to mind vividly and suggested a possible cause.

Oh God, what a monstrosity.

It ruins the whole "natural look" of the island. Can't believe they did this. :mad:

Imagine how beautiful that beach would be without cabanas, a shop, a buffet service area, a manmade harbor... ;)

From what I have seen in pictures I don't care for it on the beach, maybe if they built it back in the bushes it would have been better. The view form teh top deck woudl still have been nice. But they need to kill the music, seriously.

Oh brother, that's not what we were hoping for!

I have booked the yellow cabana. From the looks of things it seems it will be fine.

Can anyone confirm that this is far enough away to enjoy, please?

Thanks!

From reading the thread below -- the Pirate Bar is between Cabanas 5 and 6:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1312768

Yellow Cabana is #12 -- you shouldn't hear the music.

Well let's all just hope that the music by the Hal Cats (they try so hard to entertain us!) is not too loud and that we can all find a place to relax on the beach at HMC! I would probably not want to be just adjacent to the ship but hearing some Carib music while soaking up the sun doesn't sound too bad to me! We are expecting 8 inches of snow tomorrow, so I would even be willing to sit on the stage with the Hal Cats right now just to feel the warm sand! Try to have a positive attitude, it's a big beach Folks!

Your comment regarding the Veendam is most interesting. On our June 6th cruise to Bermuda, something happened as we were approaching Hamilton.

We were in the channel just about opposite the Dockyard, going very slowly in very calm water. My husband and I were just entering the Lido from the stern area when the ship suddenly heeled quite noticeably to port. Dishes flew around behind the counter and a section of the Lido had to be shut down while they cleaned up the mess. We kept waiting for the ship to right itself and it did, to a certain extent, but not completely.

I asked an officer who was watching the cleanup what had happened and he said "Nothing-- It is quite normal". I knew I wasn't going to get anything out of him so I thanked him and moved on. Nobody seemed too concerned so I guessed it wasn't a serious matter.

Even after we had reached port I commented to my husband that the ship was still listing a bit---you know that feeling you get when things aren't quite level. By the next day it seemed to have been righted and I didn't mention it in my review. Your comment brought the incident back to mind vividly and suggested a possible cause.

Sounds like they screwed up and pushed the stabilizer in the wrong direction and probably

grounded the ship a little . No big deal I guess.

But , my question is about those clamshells . Do two people have to reserve 2 clamshells ?

Or is 1 enough ? They're $14 , per person .... does that mean we get 2 or does it just mean they charge for 2 people and give us 1 ?

Thanks

But , my question is about those clamshells . Do two people have to reserve 2 clamshells ?

Or is 1 enough ? They're $14 , per person .... does that mean we get 2 or does it just mean they charge for 2 people and give us 1 ?

Thanks

It's $14 for one clamshell, which fits two loungers ... not per person.

Archived