New Pirate Ship Bar on HMC a TERRIBLE idea

michmike

Come on, get real already! :confused: We were at HMC on Jan. 3 on the Eurodam. The pirate ship bar was very busy and, Yes!, the band played a bit loudly. But it's not like they set up outside and tried to play a concert for the entire island. From the comments I've read on here it seems like they were playing at "jet airliner taking off" volume level. NOT TRUE! I walked inside the bar to use the restroom...and had no trouble talking with Captain Morgan as he passed by me.

It was certainly not very hard to move on down the beach to get away from the music if you didn't want to listen to it. You didn't have to go very far. I agree that the couple cabanas closest to the bar will hear the music...and if you don't want that you will need to reserve a different one.

But the pirate bar is NOT a valid reason to decline to go to HMC.

We old timers liked the beauty of Half Moon Cay -- the beautiful sandy beach.

JMO -- but a "SHIP" in the middle of everything takes away from the beauty of the island.

JMO -- but a "SHIP" in the middle of everything takes away from the beauty of the island.

Another bar like this one and they'll have to take down the "I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever" bar sign. :rolleyes:

I agree with this, and I've only been on two HAL cruises! The ship is just out of place. Another bar would be great! No need for all of the theming - afterall, it's a bar on a Caribbean beach - the theme is included with the location. Oh well, it's not going anywhere...

It takes an enormous ego to willfully ruin Paradise.

Plus this is the greatest evidence of pure stupidity from Seattle, even surpassing the "Retreat" ! !

I'll guarantee that the certified idiot who approved this rape of nature has to be a recently minted MBA who has never even been to HMC

No thinking, intelligent human could commit this atrocity

JMHO, so why mince words ? ?

r.

All that is now gone w/ the talentless HAL cats screeching "play that funky music, white boy" and "pink cadillac" at volumes that defy understanding.

NOOOOOOO, and really bad songs, too! The 'ship' is such a gauche and tacky addition to an otherwise classy, pristine beach. What a shame. :(

Com'on, Reuel, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think. ;)

So how do you really feel?

;)

(Probably thought up by the same brilliant MBA who thought the new Veendam looked good)

Friends,

Please notice that I did put an "H" in JMHO ;) ;)

Seriously hope someone is listening in Seattle.

r.

We were on the NA this past week and were surprised when we saw the new addition to HMC. We had the green cabana and we heard the horrible music the entire time. It really distracts from the serenity of the island and unfortunately there is no place to go to get away from the music (unless you go back to the ship). We had no idea it was being built and when we first saw it we immediately thought "carnival". HMC just isn't the same with the music playing loudly on the beach. Very disappointing.

For those of you that haven't seen the completed abomination, there is a picture in the Private Islands forum.

See What's new at Half Moon Cay.

What's new apparently is massive HAL passenger defection as a result of this abomination. Bad move and ranks right up there with moving the Explorations Cafe into the Crows Nest. No judgement on the Lanai or aft-deck conversions but they do get mixed reviews and Le Cirque is not winning too many fans either. Funny, looked like there were so many fans of just plain old HAL and they were filling their ships from all appearances. Why did they mess with their unique niche of travel industry success.

This bright idea no doubt came from the same HAL pencil pusher that thought up the Retreat Poolette.

Reading this thread, I was just going to post the same thing! And, we may as well throw in the cabanas in the mid-ship pool area on the Eurodam and NA. :D

We were there in 2002 on our first cruise and thought HMC was a little

bit of heaven - always wanted to go back but never managed to.

Now we definitely won't return - what an absolute shame to ruin that very special place with that trojan horse of a bar and loud music as well.

Farewell beautiful, tranquil Half Moon Cay

Will not pre-judge until I see it myself in March.

I'm with you Blueboro. We'll be there in March and then make a judgement. From the pictures, it certainly looks out of proportion to the rest of the structures on the island, but is also looks kinda cool. :o

The HAL Cats....well....depends on the ship...some are good...some are meh.... I'm not a fan of loud music.....again, I'll reserve judgement.....

We are waitlisted for a cabana, we usually take Pink, #8, hoping for one further down the beach this time.....

If they wanted to increase drink sales and profits, all they had to do was staff the current bar with more people (there is always a line up when we are there - so we don't bother getting a drink).

and, if they wanted to set up another one and staff it properly, they would increase their sales without ruining the look of the pristeen beach and island.

They send us surveys on world cruises - why don't they survey us on this stuff and ship changes before some idiot ruins what most loyal Hal cruisers like?

What's new apparently is massive HAL passenger defection as a result of this abomination. Bad move and ranks right up there with moving the Explorations Cafe into the Crows Nest. No judgement on the Lanai or aft-deck conversions but they do get mixed reviews and Le Cirque is not winning too many fans either. Funny, looked like there were so many fans of just plain old HAL and they were filling their ships from all appearances. Why did they mess with their unique niche of travel industry success.

Massive HAL passenger defection? Are you exagerating or do we have stats to back this up?

Archived