New Pirate Ship Bar on HMC a TERRIBLE idea

michmike

Won't the same pax who stay onboard as opposed to going to HMC be spending money on the ship?

There is really nothing that we would be spending money on at HMC -- just a couple of vendors and one HAL shop -- which is really lots of swim and beach items -- don't need those for a day.

We go over -- have a cocktail -- return to the ship for lunch.

On the ship we wouldn't even bother having a cocktail at lunch.

So we have helped the economy -- a little -- on HMC with our 1 cocktail each.

As posted - HAL is on HMC 5 months CCL is there 12 months per year.

The suits at HAL probably did not want the pirate ship, while the casual dress at CCL pushed to have it.

As CCL ships & passengers outnumber HAL ships & passengers by a wide margin, the input from CCL outweighted HAL.

As noted by many, the ship is not what HAL passengers want. The additional revenue from CCL passengers will make this a profitable idea.

I am going to HMC (Westerdam) in March and I will see the difference the ship makes. Having been on numerous HAL and CCL cruises, I can understand the displeasure of the HAL passengers, while I see the CCL passenger's approval.

I am not opposed to music on the beach as I enjoy it by the pool, but that seems to be a minority opinion on this posting.

This posting has about 50 complaints - that is an extremely small pct of HAL passengers. Usually, more complaints are made than positive remarks on posts.

A survey from the passengers who visit HMC were be a much better source of data. Either way, the ship is here to stay.

The suits at HAL probably did not want the pirate ship, while the casual dress at CCL pushed to have it.

As CCL ships & passengers outnumber HAL ships & passengers by a wide margin, the input from CCL outweighted HAL.

As noted by many, the ship is not what HAL passengers want. The additional revenue from CCL passengers will make this a profitable idea.

IF this assessment is true, then HAL could choose not to have the HALCats play there and maintain the quiet tranquility of the island. Carnival could have a band playing, if they think that matches the desires of their clientele.

While folks seem upset about the architecture and placement of the new bar, I think the majority of the complaints on this thread center on the idea of loud music blasting across the beach.

IF this assessment is true, then HAL could choose not to have the HALCats play there and maintain the quiet tranquility of the island. Carnival could have a band playing, if they think that matches the desires of their clientele.

While folks seem upset about the architecture and placement of the new bar, I think the majority of the complaints on this thread center on the idea of loud music blasting across the beach.

You are so right. One can turn their back on the pirate ship and not look at it, but loud, grating music is hard to ignore.

I think you are on the money here. I don't want to go to HMC if I have to wear ear plugs. ;)

There is a both/and solution HAL could try. We were on HMC last week and walked all around the island. We walked into the pirate bar and right back out again - you really couldn't hear yourself think. There were a couple of people dancing to the music, but they were entertainers from the ship (from the classical group).

They could staff the bar and play appropriate music (Jimmy Buffet, other beach party type stuff) at much lower decibels that wouldn't impede the enjoyment of those on the beach nearby, but would provide the fun atmosphere they are looking for in the bar.

I am going to HMC (Westerdam) in March and I will see the difference the ship makes. Having been on numerous HAL and CCL cruises, I can understand the displeasure of the HAL passengers, while I see the CCL passenger's approval.

I am not opposed to music on the beach as I enjoy it by the pool, but that seems to be a minority opinion on this posting.

This posting has about 50 complaints - that is an extremely small pct of HAL passengers. Usually, more complaints are made than positive remarks on posts.

A survey from the passengers who visit HMC were be a much better source of data. Either way, the ship is here to stay.

I too love music. I would enjoy lounging by the pool listening to all kinds of music. I just can't do that when the sound level is turned to "ear splitting". JMHO

The objections to the Hal Cats being too loud is subjective. The band plays by the pool each day and I never thought that they were too loud.

I assume from those who went to HMC, that the band turns up the volume on the beach. I prefer music to no music, though there are some that want quiet. There are some that would prefer different music.

These are all personal likes and dislikes.

Again, the sample from this post is extremely small.

Before I complain, I want to experience HMC, so I can speak from experience. I am sure that there are areas on the beach far enough away from the ship that are less noisy.

If I am unhappy with HMC, I can stay on the Westerdam and lounge by the pool in quiet.

on the HAL blog and the bar looks very nice, much better than the ones that were there. They might even have a wider selection of liquor since the building can be locked up. I wonder how many of the posters who hate it have been to HMC since it opened?

on the HAL blog and the bar looks very nice, much better than the ones that were there. They might even have a wider selection of liquor since the building can be locked up. I wonder how many of the posters who hate it have been to HMC since it opened?

Exactly, this board seems to do a lot of Chicken Little of the "Sky is Falling" before they themselves even experience it.:rolleyes: They love to jump on the band wagon to complain. I for one was only concerned that the new bar was not obstructing my view of the water and beach but I can see that is not a problem so I am actually looking forward to being there just 8 weeks from Saturday :D I actually like a little music to get me into a festive mood.

I do agree a little Jimmy Buffet type of music would be perfect, I may find that this was the perfect touch to this island ;)

Exactly, this board seems to do a lot of Chicken Little of the "Sky is Falling" before they themselves even experience it.:rolleyes:

But isn't that true for most threads about something new? LOL

Remember the horrible Vista ship threads and then the horrible Eurodam? And the ones about the cabanas, Le Cirque, beverage cards etc.

But isn't that true for most threads about something new? LOL
Sure the furor dies down after a while as some people accept the changes ... but I still think it's a huge pain in the butt to not have trays in the Lido, and I still think the Sig ship Lido cabanas are taking up space that should be public, etc, etc. I've accepted that I can't do anything about it, but that doesn't make me happy about such changes.

Sure the furor dies down after a while as some people accept the changes ... but I still think it's a huge pain in the butt to not have trays in the Lido, and I still think the Sig ship Lido cabanas are taking up space that should be public, etc, etc. I've accepted that I can't do anything about it, but that doesn't make me happy about such changes.

It's no big deal to me as I now pack & bring my own tray to use in the Lido!:D

It's interesting in how the posts have shifted from "this bar is going to ruin HMC and is horrible", to "I'll wait and see it for myself", to "it looks like fun". All without one person who has posted having been to HMC or seen it in person.

I have no doubt the pirate ship will quickly be accepted just like all the changes have been.

We are not big fans of HMC. As beaches go in the Caribbean, we do not think that this one is so great. It may be one of the best private cruise ship beaches but that is not saying too much. We feel the same way about the others as well, especially Princess Cay. We stay on the ship so we really do not care what they do with it. One thing for sure, as time passes there will be more and more revenue generating areas on these private beaches.

We are not big fans of HMC. As beaches go in the Caribbean, we do not think that this one is so great. It may be one of the best private cruise ship beaches but that is not saying too much. We feel the same way about the others as well, especially Princess Cay. We stay on the ship so we really do not care what they do with it. One thing for sure, as time passes there will be more and more revenue generating areas on these private beaches.

Not flaming; just interested to know which Caribbean beaches you prefer.

As the one who started this thread, I HAVE been there. And trust me, at least in the opinion of the 4 of us, it SUCKS. You can ignore the appearance if you are in the cabana looking out at the sea, but you certainly can't escape the racket. To position it right in the midst of the cabanas is just insane.

Why is it that so many think life needs a musical sound track? Peace and quiet served us well for centuries before Edison came along.

Next trip we will try to book cabana 12 or higher and see if that makes a difference, but regardless of the TYPE of music they play, it will be problematic until they do something about the volume.

That is the case onboard as well, in all music venues. I read of folks raving about the group Cantare that was on the Nieuw Amsterdam a couple weeks ago and perhaps they were good. We went and were blasted out of our seats and found the experience less than compelling.

boytjie...off the top of my head some of our favourites would be Veradero, Cuba (i think our most favourite), Grande Anse (far end away from the beach restaurants and rent a chairs) in Granada, Seven Mile in Cayman and if there are not many ships in port Saphire in St. Thomas.

Archived