Celebrity encouraging its passengers to "X the Rules"

Rick-cruiser

which tout having loads of fun on your ship even in the middle of the ocean. The problem, as so many of the posters have pointed out, is that some passengers will indeed intentionally misinterpret the meaning and figure anything and everything goes- no dress code, ignoring the no smoking policy, not tipping etc. I switched to X as my cruiseline of choice because I enjoyed the quieter atmosphere of X over RCL. I enjoy dressing up as we never really get a chance anymore at home and it was wonderful being able to get a cocktail without having smoke wafting all around.

Let's hope this ad campaign does not last too long and forever change the face of X.:eek:

We booked Celebrity for a more upscale atmosphere. Didn't want the "Carnival or NCL" experience. I think it's best if each cruise line finds their nich and caters to that particular type of clientele. Otherwise they all run together and begin to look alike. That won't be any fun.

Hmmmm.... Wondering if this is what I heard rumor from the CD on my criuse. They are trying to appeal to the younger market of people.. they don't want to be referenced as the new HAL (BTW was the CD direct words) If they are going to X- The Rules maybe they will attract them.

Celebrity will have to clarify what they mean by this and I guess everyone will have to wait and see before we all jump to conclusions and find out what are they basing this on. I can't see them turning Celebrity into an NCL clone, and maybe are just making whatever small changes the comment card feedback would like to see. People shouldn't be cancelling their future cruises and jumping ship so to speak until things are explained.

I just e-mailed Celebrity to voice my concern with this new campaign. Anyone who wishes to do so can easily do this by going to www.celebrity.com and at the bottom of the home page there is a Customer Support link which will take you to the next page with an "E-Mail Us" option. A representative is supposed to reply shortly.

Hi Everyone !

I agree with everyone's comments, and it's interesting that we are in total agreement. I've never been Xcited with this "X is" campaign, and this new announcement makes things worse. Frankly, I don't get it, and I feel it's the wrong message to encourage your Guests.

I agree with Mike (MVPinBoyton). Why wouldn't Celebrity test the waters via a focus group ??? I shudder to think how much money Celebrity is wasting on this campaign.

What was wrong with their popular advertising campaign from a few years ago - "Simply the Best" ? I thought it delivered a solid message, and said everything that needed to be said about the Celebrity product. They could have saved Millions of Dollars in the process. It's time for Celebrity to return to their roots, and bring an old favorite back.

Wow....

Sounds like a revamping of the NCL "Freestyle Cruising" idea.... :eek:

If so we'll be looking for another cruise line.

There are no other cruise lines, unless you go luxury. They all allow smoking just about everywhere. They all have some form of freestyle. They all allow their passengers to dress however they want. They're all declining in every sector with respect to crew, food and service. So, where will you go?

I keep asking this time and time again---WHY does every single freaking cruise line have to look the same? Why can't ONE stand out? I always thought X stood out from others, but recently I've been seeing X stooping to the depths of Carnival and NCL. Perhaps if they touted themselves as something different from the rest by having rules they actually enforce, by having a dress code that is totally separate from the casuals, by maintaining upscale standards? Why does every freaking cruise line have to bow to the "I don't wanna dress up--it's my vacation---the airlines luggage policy prevents me from packing a jacket and tie brigade"? Those kinds of passengers have nearly every single flippin' cruise line to choose from, so why do they all still demand that X look like Carnival/RCI/NCL/MSC/Costa/Princess/HAL?

So I ask again. What cruise line will you move to???? There's nothing out there, in the mass markets, that will look any better than X, if they change their rules. I'm afraid that if things head to the proverbial crapper, those of us who wanted X to remain the one lone positive beacon of great cruising will be stuck with the shorts/jeans/baseball cap/no formal night stuff that so many lines have become, at the behest of the casualites.

BTW, I just wrote Celebrity and told them I'm going to have fun X'ING THEIR RULES. I said "I'm going to smoke in the main dining room because I'm going to x the rules. I'm going to wear shorts in the MDR on formal nights because I'm going to X the rules. And I'm going to encourage everyone with babies in diapers to jump into the swimming pool because we're going to x the rules. Let's see what that does.

What was wrong with their popular advertising campaign from a few years ago - "Simply the Best" ? I thought it delivered a solid message, and said everything that needed to be said about the Celebrity product. They could have saved Millions of Dollars in the process. It's time for Celebrity to return to their roots, and bring an old favorite back.

I couldn't agree more. It said it all.

Hi Everyone !

I agree with everyone's comments, and it's interesting that we are in total agreement. I've never been Xcited with this "X is" campaign, and this new announcement makes things worse. Frankly, I don't get it, and I feel it's the wrong message to encourage your Guests.

I agree with Mike (MVPinBoyton). Why wouldn't Celebrity test the waters via a focus group ??? I shudder to think how much money Celebrity is wasting on this campaign.

Amen to that Andy.

I keep asking this time and time again---WHY does every single freaking cruise line have to look the same? Why can't ONE stand out? I always thought X stood out from others, but recently I've been seeing X stooping to the depths of Carnival and NCL. Perhaps if they touted themselves as something different from the rest by having rules they actually enforce, by having a dress code that is totally separate from the casuals, by maintaining upscale standards? Why does every freaking cruise line have to bow to the "I don't wanna dress up--it's my vacation---the airlines luggage policy prevents me from packing a jacket and tie brigade"? Those kinds of passengers have nearly every single flippin' cruise line to choose from, so why do they all still demand that X look like Carnival/RCI/NCL/MSC/Costa/Princess/HAL?

Amen, sister!!

Those of us who like the more traditional cruise experience are going to run out of options.

I have never seen so many one-sided posts in a row...

Hi Arno !

I believe the last time we all agreed on something, was before the turn of the Century :), but the message speaks volumes.

My two cents (actually a bit more as a frequent long time cruiser on X!)

What a terrible choice in marketing!!!!!!

very bad theme for Celebrity :mad:!

We have already been beseiged with cruisers who want to downgrade the line in dress issues, beer bars,& more noisy stuff out at the pool.....

now we'll have cigar smoking on the balconies, sleeveless tees and hairy armpits at the buffet, more toddlers & infants going pee peee in the swimming pools & bring them all to Muranos too!; and how about those large coolers of beer being dragged on board!!

Celebrity---X out this tag line!!!!

There are no other cruise lines, unless you go luxury. They all allow smoking just about everywhere. They all have some form of freestyle. They all allow their passengers to dress however they want. They're all declining in every sector with respect to crew, food and service. So, where will you go?

Hi Darcie !

Very well said. I'm saddened with all of this... as Celebrity used to stand out miles apart from their competition. In recent months, it seems they prefer to march to the same drum beat as everyone else. Where the heck is all the creativity going ??? I hate to say it, but I worry they are losing sight of the beautiful vision of the Celebrity we've loved over the years.

I truly hope Celebrity will take a long pause, and reconsider many of their recent actions.

Hi Darcie !

Very well said. I'm saddened with all of this... as Celebrity used to stand out miles apart from their competition. In recent months, it seems they prefer to march to the same drum beat as everyone else. Where the heck is all the creativity going ??? I hate to say it, but I worry they are losing sight of the beautiful vision of the Celebrity we've loved over the years.

I truly hope Celebrity will take a long pause, and reconsider many of their recent actions.

Hey, Andy,

Well, at least it's not the stupid thing Crystal pulled last week with their advertising campaign on Twitter when they wrote "Were you riled up by the political finger-pointing from this week’s tragic events in AZ? If you’re passionate about politics (or just love to learn), you’re bound to enjoy the political husband/wife duo who exemplify healthy partnership: James Carville & Mary Matalin."

At least X isn't using a national tragedy to advertise a couple of guest speakers.

I am actually excited about the new campaign; I plan to tell Guest Relations to X my bill at the end of my next cruise. :D

My Century stateroom attendant came up with a new rule just last Saturday. He told me I could only drink the complimentary champagne in the stateroom. He said I was not allowed to send it to the MDR, or any of the bars on the ship for consumption outside of my stateroom.

So, after I did the leg work and arranged with a bartender to accept the bottle of champagne and keep it chilled for a private sail away party, the attendant who was outside my cabin as I was about to return to the bar with the champagne, offered to deliver it for me.

I have to agree with just about everything that's been said about this campaign. I am having a very hard time understanding why X is having an identity crisis at this stage of the game. We've been sailing essentially exclusively with them for 10 years now and the ships have always seemed full of mature adults ( behavioral status) who appreciated being well served and treated on beautifully crafted and decorated ships by crew and staff who were true professionals. Now all of a sudden, the smaller ships are either gone or going, we have the glitzy S-Class in their place and what seems to be fewer options all around. I always thought that X was a success, why couldn't it have been left alone?

Maybe they are using a focus group, just the wrong one.

As the King of Siam said in the movie" Is a puzzlement."

Well said in any case, Andy, please share if you get any sort of explanation.

I hardly think that Celebrity means anything goes by "X-ing" the rules. I am sure it just means that they are going to review and change some of their long standing rules to go with the times. They are a business that must do what they can to fill their ships with the hard economic times and all the competition. So, if they need to "X" the formal wear to a more business casuaul then I am all for it. Sorry, but on vacation my husband does not want to carry a suit....he looks nicer in his dress pants, shoes and collar dress shirt them some do in their suit's that are from the 70's and short in the arms or worn looking. So...give them a chance and don't think that smoking is going to be allowed on balconies, or people will wear shorts and flip flops to dinner....everything in life changes...remember when stores were closed on Sundays? That was one rule I liked "X-ed" Remember when you went to church on a Sunday and everyone was in their Sunday Best? Well I go today and see the same loving people only in less formal clothes....the fact that they are at church in todays times says more about them then the clothes they had on. So, instead of jumping all over something before they get a chance...lets see what is "X-ed" and then decide for yourself...is this a ship I want to travel on or not. Just my opinion...I am always open to hear people out without forming an opinion first.

I just fired off an e-mail to Captain's Club expressing my concerns about this new advertising campaign. Hopefully they will listen to us; I agree it has been a long time since virtually everybody here has agreed on something! I am totally flabbergasted that this campaign somehow got approved; if today was April 1st it would have been good timing.

Archived