Celebrity encouraging its passengers to "X the Rules"

Rick-cruiser

Well shame on those who want to read into it what they want. The fact still is that Celebrity does put their rules in writing. If someone does not read them when they receive their cruise documents then that is on them when they are denied entrance into the dining room or charged a fee for smoking on their balcony or whatever else they do to break the rule. When one researches the ships they choose the one that best fits their needs. I certainly did not take the "Celebrity is "X-ing" their rules" slogan to mean people are going to show up in the MDR in a bathing suit, flip flops or baseball cap with hairy arm pits. We all live our lives by rules but sometimes they can be "X-ed" to benefit us..Like I said......lots of people liked the "X-ing" of the non-smoking rule on balconies and rooms. "X" does not always mean a bad thing. Maybe it will make Celebrity "X-tra" special!

I totally agree; that would convey the message they appear to be trying to present without permitting some people to take it as a signal they are free to do whatever they want - rule or no rule.

Agreed as well...

As a MARKETING campaign - they are clearly trying to "market" themselves to a new demographic and what I am afraid of, is the type of demographic that this ridiculous campaign might appeal to. Personally - when RCI started that DUMB, DUMB, DUMB "Nation of Why Not" campaign - complete with goofy cartoon graphics and a silly Frosty the Snowman sounding narrator - I was TOTALLY turned off! Especially because it seemed as though THAT particular marketing would attract a boat load of kids. And subsequently (in tandem with their marketing), I *do* think the "feel" of RCI has changed quite a bit, which is why we have now decided to sail exclusively with X.

Remember when Chevy tried to market the Nova in Latin American? They never thought about the meaning of "no va" in Spanish. Language is a wonderful thing. Sometimes marketing people just try to become too clever.

You are absolutely correct. There was also recently a marketing campaign by Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. The marketing company pitched them on the idea of the "Drake Advantage" with the slogan of a D+. Yep, some college was proudly marketing itself as a near-failing grade.

I share the concerns of everyone else, and have also taken the effort to submit an email on the Celebrity website. I would encourage everyone to submit written feedback to them so they can quickly see the error of their ways. Below is my response to them:

I am unhappy and disappointed with your new marketing campaign to "X the rules." I have cruised with Celebrity in the past (Concierge & Aqua class) because of its more upscale atmosphere. I fear you are degrading the brand and establishing unrealistic expectations for potential consumers. Either that or you will be easing away from some of the "rules" that have made me wish to sail with you. If I wanted "fun" I would sail with Carnival. I don't like their version of fun. I don't want announcements or loud pool games. If I wanted "freestyle" cruising I would sail with NCL. They allow smoking in many lounges and on the balconies. One person's freestyling freedom, limits my freedom to breathe! I wear tuxedos on formal nights, and don't want to see individuals wearing T-shirts and shorts at the next table. In short, if this marketing campaign is the start of things to come, you won't need to worry about my business in the future. I sincerely hope that you will take my negative feedback and the concerns of others to heart and immediately suspend this marketing campaign.

I think most people are missing the point of this ill conceived ad campaign.

Instead of focusing on issues like smoking and dress code, which ultimately I doubt X really cares about, I think X should consider that this campaign will attract cruisers who wish to "X rules" by:

smuggling alcohol onto the ship;

sharing beverage plans;

canceling daily service charges;

not attending life boat drills, etc.

Are these are the customers X now wants to attract?:confused:

X has lots and lots of "rules" set out in its standard contract, I don't think its willing to "X" any of those.

Poor, poor choice of words for an ad campaign.

I saw the campaign on FB last night and thought it rather tasteless. Am I the only person who finds it tacky all these references to cursing in mainstream tv & print?

The ad led me to believe it was less "X" ing the rules, and more "X" ing the common perception of a cruise vacation. One of the taglines on FB was "All the food you can eat, yet none you'd want to."

I'm sure they could do better than this ad campaign to show that they are a different take on cruising. I also think it mostly applies to the new Solstice class ships than any of their others.

I am going on the Millennium at the end of February; and, if I see that Celebrity is beginning to allow the breaking of many of the rules that makes the cruise line what most of us obviously like, then I too will find another line on which to spend my money [and I really like Celebrity the way it is TODAY!!!] BAD MARKETING PLAN AND THE PR AGENCY SHOULD BE X'd! :mad:

It would seem to me that with all the strong connections Cruise Critic has with Celebrity e.g. their enthusiastic support for the Connections gatherings and events on board, their management would be willing to respond to the concerns expressed on this thread. Perhaps Host Andy can exercise his influence...

Some one noted that only 8 to 10 percent of X's passengers are Cruise Critic members. That's one heck of a large number of people to offend and risk losing to HAL or Cunard, the only two mass market lines that still feature some form of "traditional cruising" and passenger civility.

George

One sad concern is that only about 8-10 percent of cruisers are members of cruise critic.

Why is that sad??? There are many cruisers who read the cruisline brochures that outline the do's and don'ts and what to do on the ships without having to ask others for their opinions. If more folks read the brochures this site wouldn't contine to be cluttered up with the same old questions. Remember the old saying "ignorance is bliss".

I just e-mailed Celebrity to voice my concern with this new campaign. Anyone who wishes to do so can easily do this by going to www.celebrity.com and at the bottom of the home page there is a Customer Support link which will take you to the next page with an "E-Mail Us" option. A representative is supposed to reply shortly.

Thanks for the link...I sent along my negative sentiments to their new campain.

This is what it means according to thier web site...

"

X is the only way to describe the perfect vacation.

Your vacation time is precious—and limited. We get that. Which is exactly what drives us to do what we do. To break away from the status quo and deliberately challenge the expected. To break the rules and set new and better standards by which all other vacations—on land or at sea—are judged. We do this to ensure you get the best vacation you've ever had. After all, life and work are full of rules. Your vacation shouldn't be. X the rules.

I'm going on the Solstice on the 30th so I will report back what all this means. This is our 20th trip on Celebrity so I am quite familiar with the product and service.

I saw the campaign on FB last night and thought it rather tasteless. Am I the only person who finds it tacky all these references to cursing in mainstream tv & print?

The ad led me to believe it was less "X" ing the rules, and more "X" ing the common perception of a cruise vacation. One of the taglines on FB was "All the food you can eat, yet none you'd want to."

I'm sure they could do better than this ad campaign to show that they are a different take on cruising. I also think it mostly applies to the new Solstice class ships than any of their others.

Can someone explain to me that tagline re "all the food you can eat, but none that you'd want to"? Sounds as though X's food is terrible. Why would they say that about themselves?

Andy: is there any way you can forward this thread to the folks at X???

Well said in any case, Andy, please share if you get any sort of explanation.

Perhaps Host Andy can exercise his influence...

Hi Everyone !

I have forwarded this thread to Celebrity. I'm not expecting miracles, but I hope Celebrity will share their insights with us.

Folks ~ Cruise Critic hosts do not have any influence to exercise with Celebrity. We're volunteer moderators. Some of us are very fond of Celebrity but that doesn't mean we have any more pull with them than all of you.

If you are unhappy about this, send your concerns to Celebrity's headquarters in Miami. The more people they here from the more the message will get across.

I'm just glad that 3/4ths of the island of St. John remains a US National Park. I'll still have somewhere to get away for relaxation if Celebrity starts turning into NCL or Carnival.

Folks ~ Cruise Critic hosts do not have any influence to exercise with Celebrity. We're volunteer moderators. Some of us are very fond of Celebrity but that doesn't mean we have any more pull with them than all of you.

If you are unhappy about this, send your concerns to Celebrity's headquarters in Miami. The more people they here from the more the message will get across.

Thanks Anne. I was in the process of typing the same thing. While many of us are passionate about Celebrity, I'm all but certain the Hosts do not offer any influence with decisions made in Miami. I agree the best plan, is to let Celebrity know how you feel.

My husband & I are new to the cruising scene. I did a cruise with my family on a Royal Caribbean ship last October and we all had a lot of fun, loved the ship, and enjoyed the overall experience.

But my hubby & I did a cruise on Carnival in December and were disappointed in the atmosphere on the ship (loud music and announcements, unimaginative and repetitive music, people wearing tacky t-shirts with rude sayings on them, people smoking like chimneys on the balcony directly below us, mediocre food, sad looking employees, dirty public restrooms, scary excursions, etc.).

And for those who love Carnival I hope I haven't offended you but it was truly a disappointing trip. We thought cruising was an upscale way to vacation, but evidently that's not true for every cruise line. We're hoping Celebrity is nothing like Carnival. If so, we'll probably not cruise again and find other ways to spend our vacation $$$.

My husband & I are new to the cruising scene. I did a cruise with my family on a Royal Caribbean ship last October and we all had a lot of fun, loved the ship, and enjoyed the overall experience.

But my hubby & I did a cruise on Carnival in December and were disappointed in the atmosphere on the ship (loud music and announcements, unimaginative and repetitive music, people wearing tacky t-shirts with rude sayings on them, people smoking like chimneys on the balcony directly below us, mediocre food, sad looking employees, dirty public restrooms, scary excursions, etc.).

And for those who love Carnival I hope I haven't offended you but it was truly a disappointing trip. We thought cruising was an upscale way to vacation, but evidently that's not true for every cruise line. We're hoping Celebrity is nothing like Carnival. If so, we'll probably not cruise again and find other ways to spend our vacation $$$.

Celebrity is NOTHING like Carnival... not even remotely close. I don't even think X is like RCI.

We had a totally different experience on the Carnival Freedom in the Mediterranean in 2008, so just remember that not all of their ships/cruise experiences are like that. We had formal nights on the Freedom, too, and everyone complied. If I had one complaint, it would be because it was over Halloween, and there were a lot of children running around without any guidance or parents nearby. I was definitely worried about the smoking but did not experience that (no smell in the cabin) or the dirty restrooms you mentioned and it was just as good as most of the other cruises we've taken.

However, I think you will find X to be a much more refined experience and a totally different atmosphere/vibe. Pretty quiet especially in the evening and of course, a much different decor.

I don't think you will be disappointed with Celebrity. It is just a totally different type of cruise experience. I really don't think X will change that much with this new marketing campaign. It will be a wait and see process.

Archived